Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

TOWING .. I seek advice !

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOWING .. I seek advice !

Hello GLIDERING friends !

I am seeking advice from anybody who has actual experience in glider towing, with some very specific questions :

My towing plane is a 30% PIPER CUB with G-62 motor

My Glider is the 3.25 meter Orchid, as seen in the Dymond Advertising.

My specific questions are :

WHAT IS THE "SPECIFIC" TOWING CABLE MADE OF? I read somewhere that these cables shoudl have some resilience or springinness in them , to catch the "rebounds" that towing generates.
(what other characteristics should this cable have ?

WHAT IS THE LENGTH THIS TOWING CABLE SHOULD HAVE ?

All other questions have been solved : i.e. there will be a release available at both ends of the towing cable, the attachment at the nose of the glider will be provided by the
items sold by Hobby Lobby.

There was a good article on towing in a magazine but I am lacking in concrete information.

Very grateful for any help forthcoming

Old 05-13-2002, 02:25 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I used 1/8 inch dia nylon line with a 3 ft section of surcigcal tubing at the towplane end. I was towing 2-meter planes with a Dynaflite Butterfly powered with a .25. (which had both planes having near identical flying speed and performance)

Both planes need a positive method of releasing the towhoook! If either has a problem the other needs to cut the cord. (one less thing for the guy in trouble to have to think of.)

The further forward the towhook is on the glider the better you'll like it.. it makes the towline partially steer the glider, and that makes the entire process easier.

The combo you have sounds good. the cub should be able to fly slow enough to not overspeed the glider. And that engine should give PLENTY of pull.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:09 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Nose towhook on the glider... he won't be able to climb excessively.

But you do need to have the towplane's hook near the CG still. The closer the connection is to the center of lift , the less it affects the towplane. Center of lift is generally a bit aft of CG.

The further the hook is from center of lift of the glider... the more control the towplane has over the glider. (which makes it MUCH easier) Compare to the High-Start launches... as the hook is moved forward, the plane automatically tracks straighter toward the stake without input from the pilot. Same idea here... the glider will be automatically forced to point at the towplane without input.

I was using 40 to 80 ft towlines... didn't really notice much difference with the different lengths. I was only towing slow 2 meter ships with the Butterfly.

One thing to think of... run some monofilament from elevator tip to rudder top to elevator tip to keep the towline from even having the possibility of getting trapped by the rudder...