Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying planes from Steelhead products?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Anyone flying planes from Steelhead products?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 09:47 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anyone flying planes from Steelhead products?

I have become interested in a couple of short kits from Steelhead products http://www.steelheadproducts.com

I would be interested in any first hand experience with the kits, the foam, and how the planes fly. The Eureka in particular looks interesting, but I, and some other members of my sailplane club, are looking at a couple of his planes.

I have a ZAGI 3C wing for slope soaring. This is my first slope plane and I like the forgiving nature of EPP foam for the slope. Now I would like another tough foamy sloper with more of a conventional wing/fuselage arrangement with aileron/elevator controls. I have a 2M Fiberglass A/E/R slope plane on the building table but don't feel I am ready to put it in the air.

I have 3 other thermal duration planes. Two RES 2M and one Full house 3M that I fly almost every weekend, so I am not new to gliders. But the slope area where I fly have limited "good landing" areas, so I want to get some varied practice before I put up the glass plane.

Any feedback about Steelhead's planes would be appreciated.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:44 AM
TFLG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone flying planes from Steelhead products?

Steelheads stuff is NOT made from EPP, so it is not exactly tough. He uses regular EPS (pink foam usually) for his stuff. That's why its so inexpensive. Dunno how they fly though, never seen one on the slope. I doubt regular EPS would hold up well. I have tried this approach on a couple of scratch built ships myself and they don't last. The foam dings and scuffs easily and stays that way.

TFLG
Old 01-03-2005, 10:51 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:42 PM
martin o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I flew a Floyd for a while. Yes, it didn't last, especially on the rocky slopes in Arizona. EPP will last longer, but it won't look pretty either after a couple of trips to these slopes. The Floyd was cheap, very quick to build, and flew very well. Stable but not fast. Broke a wing panel in half in a transportation accident, straightened it as best I could with few tools and no glue, taped it back together and it still flew well.