Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Gliding from the top of Hawaii

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Gliding from the top of Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Uzzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gliding from the top of Hawaii

I went for an epic bike ride last Sunday. It was a 4000 foot climb to the top of Mt. Hualalai (8500 ft). The road up is a very nasty jeep road, full of ruts and pits of deep gavel and cinder. Most of the climb was done on foot. Two of the riders had to go back down after getting only halfway up Three of us did make it though. From the top; the other mountains can be seen, including Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, which are covered with snow right now. The weather and visibility that day was unreal. It was a little cold though and I saw little patches of frost here and there. I wore shorts of course. The ride back down was nice too, and we went though a eucalyptus forest and green pastures.

One of the guys brought his RC glider along and accidently clippped it on a branch halfway up, so we had to search around and find all of the pieces that broke off. We spent an extra hour at the top messing around with it, once it was repaired.

http://community.webshots.com/album/252966527LhEzGf
Old 01-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Gliding from the top of Hawaii

Wow, nice
Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Very nice pictures. It sure would be a nice place to do some soaring.

Saludos,
Landi

(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299913)
Old 01-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Uzzi

Thanks for the kind replys guys, the plane is a 48" discus launch Thistle. You can check out more of the flights here: http://bikeabout.net/ZExtra/Lavawing/index.html

Im not the pilot though, just a camera man. I might get into gliding soon though, it looks pretty fun and challenging.