Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

where's the beef?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Andersonjim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where's the beef?

I tried to fly a Winnerrc sportsman ARF glider and it seemed to me
that there was not any Beef in the electric motor. factory specs state: [ws=72 in.] [wing area=536 sq in.] [Flying wt=3.3lbs]
[elec. motor=550] [prop=8 x 4 in. folding prop] [Battery=8.4 VDC]
Is it me or is this motor and prop adequate for the glider specs?
I am thinking of trying to get another elec. motor with more beef.
Any suggestions??

Thanks, Jim
Old 09-06-2002, 10:00 AM
bmwbob
My Feedback: (1)

Default MORE beef!

Hi, Jim!
I have both brushless and brushed motors in my planes. For this type of glider I STRONGLY suggest using an R/C car motor, such as the 19 turn Trinity Chameleon Pro 2, which is available from Tower for $35. This motor is good for 165-170 watts.
Attach an MPJ 8063 planetary gearbox ( 3.8:1 ratio ) which bolts right on ( you have to glue the pinion gear on with the supplied adhesive ) available from either David Bradford at Aircraft World, or Hobby Lobby for about $24, use a speed control like the ( once again available ) Electrifly 65 amp from the U.K., or any controller good for at least 35-40 amps. One of my buddies is using a Great Planes 30 amp controller on a 6 cell setup, and getting away with it! A 50 amp would probably be a better choice.Run your choice of 6 to 8 cells of from CP1700 and up capacity, and a prop somewhere between 12.5X7.5 and 14X9.5, depending on the number of cells, and you'll LOVE it!
I have this as an 8 cell setup in my FVK Impulse 2 LMR, which is a 98" span sheeted foam wing, 6 servo ship, no doubt MUCH heavier than your plane, and am DELIGHTED with the performance!
Of course, as with any brushed setup. be prepared for a bit more maintenance. You'll need to pull the motor and clean the brush dust ( use spray brake cleaner from any discount auto parts store), lube the ball bearings, and clean / turn the commutator once in a while. A new set of brushes will probably be in order every 30-40 flights at a cost of less than $5.
I have a complete drive train set up just like this I am thinking about putting into a Hangar 9 Aspire EP that had the original ( WIMPY!) setup yanked out, and is just hanging in my shop.
More questions? That's why we're here!
Bob Cowgill, AKA bmwbob, Moderator.
Cocoa, Florida
E-mail:[email protected]
Old 09-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Andersonjim

Hi! Bob,
Well I am away from home right now and got on the PC at my daughter's house. We have been gone fer about 2 weeks. Anyways thanks for the Info. on how to increase the power in a elec. glider. when I get back home I will start on all your suggetions. If I run into some problems in getting it togeather, you may hear me asking you for [How to] info. So thanks again,

Jim
Old 09-18-2002, 02:37 PM
bmwbob
My Feedback: (1)

It's my pleasure, Jim!
Helping each other have more fun from our hobby is why we're here.
Bob Cowgill
Cocoa, Florida
E-mail@[email protected]