Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
 Choosing a big, cheap, relaxing glider >

Choosing a big, cheap, relaxing glider

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Choosing a big, cheap, relaxing glider

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Choosing a big, cheap, relaxing glider

"Seriously though, I'm going to attempt some kind of scratch built as a project with my Dad while I still have him. Something along the lines of a 5 meter glider."

per Balsa Steel

Seriously, a scratch build of 5 meter span will reqiure either lots of building experience and/or analysis - Are you an engineer Balsa Steel? The reason I ask is I am (engineer) and have designed and built large gliders - it takes quite alot of understanding of materials, aerodynamics, and structural analysis. Small planes are easier to design and build (especially if they are based off of existing kits) because the loads/speeds are smaller. A 5 meter scratch build (BTW, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this statement) is quite an undertaking for someone who has only built 1 plane (per your earlier email). Again, the reason I comment is because you really need a good understanding of aircraft design and construction before you attempt such a project. Of course, I'm not aware of your academic/professional experience, so please excuse me if I've underestimated your knowledge/experience.

Good luck - and please post some pictures as well as flight test data regarding your first flight - I'd really like to see it!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:52 AM
My Feedback: (3)

forrest adams,
Excuse my terminology (ignorance?) because I am a little out of my element from a building standpoint, but I understood "scratch built" to mean built from plans with wood from the local hobby shop etc. as opposed to a kit with pre-cut components. As much as I would love to be able to conceive a design, much less one that would actually fly good, "ain't gonna happen" [] Structural analysis as you mentioned, and patience would be the biggest of my hurdles. All I'm looking to do is build a plane from the plans of a proven design to get some building experience, and have a great big cool plane. Though that experience may end up being just holding the dang light for my Dad while he builds it again (just like back in the 60's [>:]) so be it... I'll always be a better pilot than I am a builder, and there's always used planes for sale! Have you ever owned, built, or designed a 5m? If so, please share your experiences as I'd like to learn all I can about the big birds.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:55 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I always understood that scratch meant from plans and cutting your own parts. Could involve an original design, but not necessarily.

Just termanology.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:21 AM

jkirby,

If you have narrowed it down to the Big Bird and the Kestrel. The Big Bird would be by far the favorite.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:16 PM

balsa steel, I'm most impressed that you plan to spend time with your dad - my dad is no longer alive. whatever you decide to build, it will be good because you had the experience of doing it together.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Hey, I appreciate that and sincerely hope you were able to spend quality time with yours. My father bought some acreage next to mine and that gave me an excuse to get him back into the hobby after a few decades away from it. I wish everyone had that opportunity.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:22 AM

AEAJR

Wanted to thank you for the highstart details. After reading this thread it made me want to dig my gliders out, dust them off and put them in the air again. I startd my RC experiance with a Gentle Lady kit. Flew the GL on highstart, winch, slope, and .049. I only did the highstart twice and the winch once. I still have the GL, well it's really the remains of two to make one. I also have a Spirit elite never flown, and a scale looking glider called a Cobra 17 (123") and rudder elavator only, never flown.
I have three electrics an Ace whisper, TT windstar, Cermark Dragonfly. The Whisper and the Windstar have undergone serious diets to get them down to a descent flying weight.
Of all these gliders I have I enjoy the Gentle Lady when it isn't encumbered with a power pod. The electrics are just to heavey for really good thermaling.
So in the last few years it has been glow planes and more recently electric 3D stuff, but there is nothing as majestick and beutiful as watching a sailplane slipping through the air and looking for those little responses of thermal activity around it[8D]. I know I am sounding like I am good at this and I am not, I just wish I was and that's why I appreciated the article you wrote. Thanks.

By the way those Bird of Time's are beutiful in the air, at least you can always ID it from others[8D].

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69249.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	292411  
Old 07-01-2005, 10:31 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Epoxy Cup

AEAJR

Wanted to thank you for the highstart details. After reading this thread it made me want to dig my gliders out, dust them off and put them in the air again. [8D].

[img][/img]
Glad they were helpful. That is why I wrote them.

I too love my sailplanes.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: jkirby65

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I have narrowed it down to Skybench's Big Bird and the NSP Kestrel. Paul, you said something position about the Kestrel, right? Would you take it over Skybench's Big Bird? The Kestrel is $40 cheaper, which is nice.

BTW, I love building and have done quite a bit of it, but am living in a one bedroom apt with my wife--- she will just have to deal with my glider obsession though.

Thanks again!
Has your wife read the "BTW" statement yet? You will probably have to deal with sleeping on the couch! FWIW, my vote would have been for the Riser 100. Easy build and a great thermaller. Good luck to you whatever you go for.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:59 PM

Epoxy,
Hey I'm a member of the Salem Soaring Socitey! YOu live near an EXCELLENT sod farm we fly our gliders and electrics at. If you want to get back into gliders, let's get together and do some flying! Contact me.

Frank
Old 07-26-2005, 05:05 PM

jkirby,
If I wasn't going to buy an ARF and had limited building space/time. A Spirte 100 is a very simple/fast plane to build with interlocking tabs plus it is cheap. that being said, it's not the best flyer out there but pretty good! So many to choose from, anit it great! Sandard servos/reciever will work 2, to keeep it cheap.