Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

anyone playing with wing tip ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

anyone playing with wing tip ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 04:42 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone playing with wing tip ailerons

Just got back from the field. I was testing my T'Lar sailplane. A mating of an Allegro and a Dark Star. The thing flies great for a res ship. I would like to increase the wing span, lose the poly and add flaps and wing tip ailerons. The plan form the T'Lar is designed from indicates I will have plenty of rudder authority to an dihidral angle down to 4.5 to 5 degrees. What I'm looking to do is to use the tip ailerons for very large flat themaling circles. I've even though of making the tips into full flying surfaces but it seems the penalty in weight is prohibitive. I'm looking for any design tips, pictures, or advise on this. To answer a few questions before hand.
Wing span 144"
major cord 7.75"
aspect ratios 20.5
area 988 sq."
it will be a 3 panel wing. The center panel will be 67" and flat
the outer panels will be composed of two sections each
the inner section will be 26.75" and the outer section 12.75"
I intend to put the flaps on the center section only. and have the ailerons on the 12.75" section
all the dihedral will be added in the 26.75 panel the 12.75 panel will be parallel to the center section. Kind of like a scewed up gull wing. A really rough drawing is below.screwed up gull wing. A really rough drawing is below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61977.gif
Views:	16
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	248943