Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Electric ARF Glider That Really Has Power??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Electric ARF Glider That Really Has Power??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Andersonjim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric ARF Glider That Really Has Power??

What Electric ARF glider w/rudder-Elev and aileron...that you buy that has a elec. motor already with the set that really has guts. I mean you add the batteries and that thing REALLY goes???
Reason...I bought 1 years ago and I mean it was gutless..It turned me sour on it. However I am ready to give it a shot again.

Thanks for any Info.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:45 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Electric ARF Glider That Really Has Power??

Uhh, none. Cheap ARFs come with a cheaper can motor, no gearbox and too small a battery - as you found out. That's why quality ARFs make you select your own power setup.
However, with most cheap setups, adding a gearbox and a good battery can make it into a respectable performer.

Fritz
Old 05-31-2005, 03:49 AM
elfwreck

Hey now,
I agree with this one. No such thing as a "complete" arf with motor that's worth a whit.
However, you can replacce the stock motor with a Kyosho "magnetic mayhem" motor (25$) prolly need the reverse wind, and a 2.5-1 inline gear box. Add to that a Master Airsvrew 12-8 folding prop and seven or eight cell sub "c" battery or better, three series LiPo and you'll get a good solid climb. It won't be a screamer, but it'll have plenty of thrust to haul the model up at a 45* angle.
If you want *fast*, you gotta go brushless ($$$).
RobII
Old 06-21-2005, 09:43 PM
ptb

In the quest for the ultimate glider i now have 5.
The stock planes are all underpowered. get a good arf without motor,
and pick your own power system. you might spend a little bit more up front
but you wont have to get 5!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
ericthetree
My Feedback: (11)

or make one of these. 78"wingspan cc25$60 bl BM-2406-21 $25 airframe cost $10 to build wanted the supersize servos for wt.and balance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67936.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	339204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56805.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	339205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97616.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	339206  
Old 10-16-2005, 01:57 PM
gldrgidr

ORIGINAL: elfwreck

Hey now,
However, you can replacce the stock motor with a Kyosho "magnetic mayhem" motor (25$) prolly need the reverse wind, and a 2.5-1 inline gear box. RobII

Where can you get a Kyosho "magnetic mayhem" motor? Tower no longer sells them.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

That depends on how much money you want to spend. Performance=$. I have a Mistral 2600 ARF that I bought from Esprit Model with an AXI 2826/12 motor. I has a 102 inch wingspan with rud/elev/flaps and will leap out of your hands and go upward vertically. I have to pull back on the throttle before it gets out of hand. This is a beautiful sailplane and looks majestic in the air. I use a Kokam 3 cell 3200 mah LiPo battery and a Castle Creations Phoenix 60 controller. You can plan to spend around $600 to $700 for the complete package, but this is a top notch airplane that will suit your needs for years. These cheap ARFs that come with can motors aren't much good. They just ruin a lot of people's enthusiasm for the sport.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 AM
ahoughton

Yea Good advice everyone . I just upgraded to a lipo system there great. Has anyone here have an ( Elipsoid glider )by Reichard Modelsport? If you do please help me with the instructions, the ones I have are so vague that I'm lost. Thank you
Old 01-05-2006, 02:01 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394769]Building the Condor Voodoo to go vertical to 1000'[/link]

Nothing good comes cheap...especially with electric sailplanes
Don
Old 01-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Allie33

Power.

Two weeks ago I went to Esprit Models and re powered my anemic Aspire with a Hyperion 3019-12 motor and accessories enough to get me started in serious electric flight. Only now I have a new situation, I went from not enough power to more than enough power. Now I can flutter my wings on climb out, even at less than full power.

Honestly, we selected this setup for models that were due to arrive. Now they are here, Aspire, Varient III, Sprinter and many more.

Call ZB or check out the Esprit Model web site. Remember, being European they speak several languages and know the models well.

AW