Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Balsa vs Non-Balse Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Virgin_Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa vs Non-Balse Fuse

Hi,
I'm doing the usual thing.. the slow build up of various models...
To date, I have:

2m Spirit
2m Spirit modified to electric (aka a spectra)
Combatwing

I'm thinking about what my next step would be... a glider with a Balsa Fuse or a Non-Balsa Fuse (such as plastic or fibreglass(?))...

Does anyone have any opinion/comment about this? Is one better than the other?
I do prefer kits, but I am openminded about ARF kits.

Thanks

VB
Old 06-03-2005, 07:41 AM
rscarawa

Default RE: Balsa vs Non-Balse Fuse

Why not try the Spirit Elite ARF? It has a fibre fuse and is supposed to be a descent performer. I bet is might make a descent sloper too being so slick and having the full house setup.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:29 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Virg,
It's all a matter of what you want and what conditions you fly under. I do a lot of slope and my personal preference runs towards a balsa fuse. To me, they're easier to repair after a hard slope landing. Others will differ with me, I'm sure.
We can argue the pros and cons of balsa-over-fiberglass, but right now it's summer, so let's get out and fly while the weather's nice - no matter WHAT our planes are made of.

papermache
Old 06-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Virgin_Blue

I will have a look at the Spirit Elite...

PaperMache... Since I live in Australia.. its now Winter... So it time to build!!!

VB
Old 06-05-2005, 11:34 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Ive been to australia in the winter and the weather was about as harsh as our winter here in LA. Get thee flying.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:13 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I often have done a bit of both on the same model. I've always subscribed to the idea that the best strength to weight form is an eggshell. This also shows up in honeycomb structural panels. So what I do is go for thick but light balsa basic box structure with triangle stock in the corners. Add wing roots where appropriate and ply inner doublers from the nose to the wing, a pine or spruce nose block and then happily carve the whole lot to a pleasing shape with some outside template checks to ensure reasonable symetry. After the shaping is done I glass the outside with glass and epoxy with perhaps some carbon fiber tow material in key areas. The nose generally gets two layers for strength and the tail one. I like using 4 oz cloth for this. To fill the grain a second coat of resin mixed with microballoons is spread on. The first coat being kept quite starved, just enough to make the cloth look clear.

For electric models I use 2 oz cloth and either dope or polyurethane varnish to bond the cloth on. Then finish with a lightweight filler then paint. It's still quite ding resistant but a lot lighter.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Virgin_Blue

Thanks Bruce... Its a hibrid... I would have never thought of doing such a construction...
Do you have any photos of work-in-progress or finished fuselarges??? I would be interested in seeing some...

VB