Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Tow Plane Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 11:24 PM
GMM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Plane Question

Here is a question for you experienced aerotow pilots.

I'm going to build a 1/4 scale Piper Pawnee this winter. It has a 108" wing span, and should come in at about 15-20 lbs.. It was designed for a Quadra 40 (U.S. 41). Question is will this engine be enough to pull up a 15 lb 15 foot wingspan sailplane? If not, any suggestions on an engine. We have been towing with a Ace Big Bingo with a Quadra 40, but have only towed up smaller (3 meter) and lighter sailplanes.

Second question, since the canopy on the Pawnee is behind the C.G. by quite a bit, does anyone have a suggestion on where to place the tow release? I know the prefered location is around the C.G., but this would put the release ahead of the canopy. I've thought about running it out the side of the fuse, or placing it behind the canopy (but it may be too far back).

Thanks for the help,
Greg
Old 10-23-2002, 08:57 PM
Gary Retterbush

I think I would use a ZG 62 and put the tow release just aft of the canopy.

A ZG 62 tows my 5m 26.5 pound Discus without any problems at all.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:57 PM
GMM

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I'm considering the G 62, I will just have to see if it will fit the airframe O.K.

Greg
Old 10-25-2002, 05:21 PM
tdwise

Default Tow Location

Greg,

I have a scratch built/self-designed cropduster that is somewhat of a hybrid between a Pawnee and an AgWagon. It is not nearly the size you're intending to build but it is equipped with a tow release which is mounted at the aft base of the cockpit structure. This plane has a 61" WS, weighs about 5.75 lbs and I've been towing 2-meter ships with it. The relative location of the release to the CG does not appear to be a problem. The plane handles the tow just fine and even if we get a little out of alignment, the sudden re-tension of the towline has little affect on the towplane and never seems to be on the verge of losing control. If you want, I could email a picture of it to you.

Ted
Old 01-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default Pawnee

hey Greg -

How is the building going on the Pawnee? I am considering this for a next project (I have a 40% edge I hope to have done by Spring). I found their website and an old review of the plans in High flight. The article states that the fiberglass components (I suspect the cowling and ???) are made by a company called Fiberglass Master. I can't find this company. Do you know of anyone making the fiberglass parts and/or the lexan parts for the canopy? If not, are the pan detail enough that making a one-off plug would be fairly easy?

also, what are your overall impressions of the plans?

Thanks

Keith
Old 01-14-2003, 01:43 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I tow with a Cub about the same size and weight that you are considering. I have towed a 5 meter (15+ lbs) with a G-38. It handles the load okay, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm inclined to think that in this towing business, more power is better...
Old 01-14-2003, 02:20 AM
GMM

Keith,

Sorry to say I have not started on the Pawnee yet. I got sidetracked with a 25% Extra. I do have an engine for the Pawnee. I was planning on making my own cowl. There is enough detail on the plans in my opinion to make the part. The canopy should not be a problem either. I think the plans are pretty good. There could be a little more detail in some areas, but they are workable. It looks pretty easy to build too. I think the plans are about $35.00 if I recall, and they are worth it. Good Luck!

Greg

PS: The plans show how to build a working "duster hopper" that looks pretty cool, so you can practice your crop dusting skills between tows!
Old 03-29-2003, 01:18 AM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default working duster hooper

HEY GMM, I AM WONDERING IF YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A COPY OF THEY DUSTER HOPPER INSTRUCTIONS. I AM SCRATCH BUILDING AN AGWAGON AND WAS THINKING OF PUTTING ONE ON IT BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD NEED TO DO.