Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Oly II or III?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Wazmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oly II or III?

[link=http://www.skybench.com/]Skybench Aerotech[/link] expects to have laser-cut kits soon for the Oly III (132" wingspan) and Oly II S (100" wingspan, S3014 airfoil). They also have the original Oly II. Any comments on which would be a better choice for a relative beginner (to sailplanes) looking for some low-key RES competition?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:28 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oly II or III?

Either would be a good choice.

The larger one would be a better hunter/thermaller but not by much. The website doesn't say what airfoil on the big one, but if it's the same as on the 100" Standard, there wouldn't be much to choose between the two. They'd both be Olys. One'd just be bigger. They'd react about the same to air and wind.

I've still got my OlyII from the 80s. I built it with spoilers and really feel that the flaps would be of no real value over the spoilers. I would guess that the airfoil on my OlyII wouldn't fly any better with flaps and the spoilers are excellent for landing it. But I didn't notice any mention of spoilers on those kits.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Jimmbbo

Agree with darock... Have an '80s OlyII that flies great with spoilers, and have never thought "gee if only this had flaps"... Spoilers, absolutely... flaps... nah....

One advantage of the larger glider is that you can see it a bit farther away, but bigger gliders take more room to store and transport...

Either one is gonna be a winner! Am jealous how easy the kit assembly has been made

Cheers!

Jim
Old 08-12-2006, 08:47 AM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

I have one of the new Oly III's headed my way. FWIW, I actually prefer flaps to spoilers for glide path control. That said, a flapped Oly III woulld have to be flown in Open or Unlimited class contests whereas, a spoiler equipped plane could be flown in RES class and Open class.

Unless I miss the mark with my guess, Ray is using the 3014 airfoil on the Oly III and it is superior to the original airfoil. I'll let you know when the kit shows up. I will be building it and documenting the build. Maybe some of my work will show up in the build instructions or tips on Ray's website in October. Of course, he will need to get the kit to me pretty soon to make that deadline.

EJ
Athens, LA
Old 08-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: ejett

FWIW, I actually prefer flaps to spoilers for glide path control. ...

EJ
Athens, LA
EJ

Am interested why you prefer flaps to spoilers for glidepath control...

Cheers!

Jim
Old 08-12-2006, 06:18 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless I miss the mark with my guess, Ray is using the 3014 airfoil on the Oly III and it is superior to the original airfoil. I'll let you know when the kit shows up.
That'll be good to know.

BTW, all the Oly's I saw had open structured wings. No sheeting past the LE. No matter what airfoil you carve into your ribs, that structure makes the specs from the scientific plots sort of.... well..... a description of hopes and dreams.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 PM
edygert
My Feedback: (12)

You might also want to look at http://www.laserarts.com/. They have a sailplane kit that looks just like the Oly II called the Scepter 100. I don't have any experience with it but I have been lusting for one for awhile.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
RK-Aircraft
My Feedback: (81)

How does that Oly II compare to the Dyn. Bird of Time? I was planning on getting the BOT w/ the fiberglass fuse and strip the wing and recover in UltraLite film. Is it still as good for beginners?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I just read the Fiberglassed fuse BOT ARF is at least 1# heavier than the wood kit version??? and not as much wingspan???
Old 09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
ejett

It is heavier than the kit, but I'm pretty sure the wingspan is the same. I've had both. I built my kit after the ARF and the kit came out lighter, but I can't say exactly how much lighter. My kit wound up at 55 oz. as I recall and would thermal like a homesick angel. But then the ARF did too. I once ballasted the kit by 2 lbs. and it thermalled just fine at 87 oz.

After I built the BOT, I bought and built an Aquila. I like the look of the Aquila but in my experience the BOT flies better. YMMV.

EJ
Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 PM
ejett

Ray Hayes' Oly II kit is very nice. Some think his instructions are skimpy, but the quality of the wood and hardware in the kit is MUCH better than what Dynaflite puts in the BOT kit.

I am just now finishing up the Oly III kit I mentioned last year, but dropped the fuse while I was covering it tonight and knocked the tail feathers off. Luckily it was just a poor glue joint and it is good that it broke on the table rather than in a landing. Anyway, just a little more epoxy and I'll be back in business. The wing is 132" with Ray's favorite airfoil (3014). I plan to maiden this week if the weather allows. I built it with flaps instead of spoilers. Watch for a flight report and pictures soon.

EJ
Old 09-30-2007, 08:38 PM
elmog

Bigger planes are much easier to spot when the thermals get crazy. I'd get the 132" if the little bit extra $$ is no concern. Building will take just a bit longer with the greater wing span. If the wing loading is lower and the C/D is about the same, the 132" will thermal better than the smaller one, though you may never notice the difference. I plan on picking up the OLY III next year and look forward to a fun build (laser cut parts, yes!).
Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
ejett

ORIGINAL: Jimmbbo

EJ

Am interested why you prefer flaps to spoilers for glidepath control...

Cheers!

Jim

Jim:

Sorry I didn't answer you last year when you asked this question. I guess I missed the post. Anyway, I like flaps because being significantly larger they provide a lot of braking and increase the lift at low speeds which is just a little easier for me to control when I'm trying to land on a spot. The spoilers do seem to "spoil" the lift, but generally on a steep approach the plane is not really slowing down very much. I don't dislike spoilers, but the flaps are a little more versatile for me; I try to use them as "inboard" ailerons when not using them as flaps. It's kind of tricky to set up because I don't have much "up" aileron travel available when I have the flap travels set up to give maximum flap. But it does seem to help. Downside is it keeps the plane out of RES class.

Hopefully, this belatedly answers you questions. I would have finished the plane this weekend, but I need some 18" servo extensions that I do not have in stock.

EJ
Old 10-09-2007, 02:29 PM
ejett

I found some short extensions and lengthened them so I could finish the plane. Maidened yesterday. Great flyer. I highly recommend the REF (flap version) for sport flyers. Of course it would be legal in Unlimited contests as well, but not RES.

Plane is very docile with great manners. With the flaps set up on a 2A2FER template with the flaps acting as inboard ailerons and the rudder mixed to ailerons (even though they are not present), the plane is very responsive to control inputs and holds turns well with no tendency to tip stall or drop out. I am very impressed even though I only got 2 flights in yesterday before the rain sent me packing.

I may have to adjust the towhook location, but need to get the nose weight trimmed out perfectly before I start meddling with TH location.

Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70552.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	779710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23636.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	779711  
Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM
peteohms

I have one of these (Oly II) posted on Ebay if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150247174332

Pete