Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Spektrum DX7

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Anubis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX7

While most of my flying is sports power and the Spektrum is ideal, does anyone know whether the DX7 will fly a full carbon sailplane? The small antennae of the receievers would be completely shielded inside the fuselage unlike at present with a 35mhz setup. Please ignore the fact that the DX7 is limited in scope for crow etc I'm only interested in whether the carbon fibre will kill the signal since the receivers are fully enclosed.
Hope you're having better weather than here in Yorkshire
kind regards
Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Spektrum DX7

I have been flying the AR6000(DX6) in a 1.5M Epsilon on the slope. Only the antennae stick out from under the carbon canopy. Works great even under long range thermal conditions.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MustangAce

I have been flying the AR6000(DX6) in a 1.5M Epsilon on the slope. Only the antennae stick out from under the carbon canopy. Works great even under long range thermal conditions.
MustangAce,

Did you try that RX without sticking the wires out? The dual RX's of the DX7 would be harder/wierder to install that way because we're supposed to keep them separated and aligned 90 degrees apart.

I was hoping the carbon wouldn't shield the RX, but I guess it does if you took the trouble to mount yours with the wires outside. Where they taped to the side or just dangling out from under the canopy?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:58 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

The one pointing back toward the tail was completely taped. The other was taped at only half its length. The new DX7 isn't supposed to have any problems with interference I thought.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Anubis

since I posted this I saw a post by the manufacturuer of the Xtremelink 2.4 system on the rcgroups forum who states that even fully enclosed in carbon a proper signal would be sent and received although there may be some slight loss of signal. I guess the only way is to carry out extensive range checks and see what happens! I know so little about this stuff and I'm not willing to risk the NYX without a warm blanket of reassurance
Old 01-20-2007, 09:33 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How are you setting up sailplane mixes on your DX7's. Especially how are you handling 4 servo wings, Crow, Camber, and other typical mixes since the DX7 doesn't have sailplane programming.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:48 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: aeajr

How are you setting up sailplane mixes on your DX7's. Especially how are you handling 4 servo wings, Crow, Camber, and other typical mixes since the DX7 doesn't have sailplane programming.
Here are a couple options. Neither is "perfect" but you can pick and choose what you like.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=833

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...49&postcount=6
Old 01-22-2007, 06:50 AM
Anubis

Horizon hobby have a programming guide for the JR XP7202 fo9r the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick. The programming is essentially the same.
ORIGINAL: wind junkie

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Here are a couple options. Neither is "perfect" but you can pick and choose what you like.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=833

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...49&postcount=6
Old 02-25-2007, 03:38 PM
JohnAgnew2978

All-carbon fuselages are a major problem with regular 72 mhz radios. In performance gliders the antenna is usually left inside the fuselage, in a tube, but this is not reliable with a carbon fuselage. Safest (but ugliest) is to take it out of the fuselage near the wing and tie it to the top of the fin. With the short Spektrum antennae, I would do a whole lot of range testing before putting the plane in the air.