Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Two piece wing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Daniel Saito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two piece wing

I'm building my 2 meter sailplane wing, and don't know wich would be better: one-piece or two-piece wing?

My car is pretty small, so if I build it one-piece, I'll have to lower the passenger's back and front seats!
Old 02-14-2003, 01:39 AM
Shredz

Default Check out this post

I had the opportunity to be riding along with Bruce Matthews to a RC trade show in Puyallup a couple of weeks ago and we had this very discussion. He's been doing this stuff longer than most

I did a quick search and found this post he left in the "scratch building" board of this site:

www.rcuniverse.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101740&forumid=58&highlight=two+piece+wing

If this URL doesn't work, try a search using user name "bipe2" joining 3 piece wing

I'm going to do something similar with my 2m and separate the tips from the center section using this method.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:00 AM
Daniel Saito

Default Two piece wing

Thanks, Shredz, for answering...
I found the discussion you told me about, but I really think I must reformulate my question...

The thing is: is it worth to build a one-piece wing, regardless of transportation difficulties, or is it much the same as a two-piece wing (I mean in terms of performance: weight and wing movement!)

Thanks a lot!!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:41 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Two piece wing

Wow, I did that? Musta been one of my "smart" days....

Daniel, one piece is stronger, easier to make and lighter. But done well a two piece wing can be as strong as you need, almost as light if you can use a carbon fiber rod joiner and fit where a one piece can't.

I personally like a two piece for anything over 6 foot span. And even for 5 feet the 2 piece is a nice feature.