Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

First thermals of the year!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First thermals of the year!

Yeehaaww the flying season has started. Finally the sun is comming far enough above the trees to warm things up. (I'm above the 49th) The 'ol Electra/GL performed it's usual magic.
Was catching little stuff then larger bubbles, then the wind shifted from N to ESE and the warm sun could be felt on my back.

Joy! Moved the highstart and launched. LIFT! Had lots of altitude and let a friend have the stick for a try (rank beginner no flying till then). It was way up and he reported that he had in full down but it was still climbing! Guess I should've breifed him more thoroughly on the controls. He had the left stick (not in use) full forward.

Spins and loops, finally inverted for a few seconds brought it down nicely. What fun! To bad I have to work today.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:38 PM

Default Re: First thermals of the year!

Originally posted by greg
Yeehaaww the flying season has started.
Start? When did it end? Not trying to rub it in or anything...well, OK, just a little
Right now I would actually be thankful for a building season, my "to build" stack is getting out of control!
This weekend was great down here as well, Sunday our club hosted FSS #3, a great time had by all... Yesterday I had the day off so I went to the field to do a little winch maintenance. One of the guys showed up so I give him a hand setting up a winch, and return to working on the other winches. About 5 minutes later I feel it warm up a tad and the wind do a 180, so I snagged the chute and threw my GL(which I brought just in case) up on the winch. Launched right into it, and flew for about 45 minutes kicked back in my chair. Needless to say not much more work was done
Anybody else have a good weekend?
Old 02-26-2002, 09:57 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Gregg, I wish you could live in Arizona for a year! This place is a thermal generator all year long. I'll bet you work up quit an appetite for flying after those long winters.
Jack
Old 02-26-2002, 10:04 PM

Default Joy

Abstinance makes the heart grow fonder.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:44 AM

I'd personally prefer a SHORTER building season thanks. I end up with 3-4 new sailplanes every winter, and my bank account doesn't appreciate it much. If things go the way I think they will, I'll have even more ready to go this year. Hard to really tweak anything when there's such a selection! Good thing I scratch-build...
Old 02-28-2002, 05:59 AM

The "winter" here is not all that long or cold. Just wet and windy and dark. I preffer to think of our seasons as just two - Light and Dark with the changes near the equinox. Appart from the weather is the tall trees and mountains which cut into the light that can directly reach the ground - no lift and hard to see the plane against all that cloud.

I'm working towards a park flyer or two so I can take advantage of the breaks in the rain.