Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hangar 9 Aspire

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Auger Din

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Aspire

Has anyone here had any experiences with Hangar 9 Aspire Sailplanes?

I'm interested in getting into gliders, possibly even ones with motors, and have seen a couple of these around.

People who fly them seem to like them, but I've heard others that weren't so happy with them.

Thanks,
Old 03-01-2002, 02:15 AM
Erratic Parrot

Default Hangar 9 Aspire

Auger,

I have heard mixed reviews on this kit also. One guy I conversed with (online) said it was great but another guy I know personally thought it was heavier than it should be and I found the covering to be pretty thin (weak). I debated buying one for a long time and ended up buying a Global 2M Explorer ARF. I put a Cox power pod on it with a Norvel .061 Big Mig start up engine. The Big Mig comes with a fuel tank and its screw pattern lets you screw it right onto the Cox power pod with no modifications. I get about a 3 minute run time on a tank of fuel.

I paid about $80 US for the sailplane and already had the engine (about $30) and power pod. This combo really gets up there. As high as I'm comforable with right now anyway. The only complaint I have with the plane is that the covering is brittle and punctures eaisily.

Hope this helps,

Erratic..........sometimes really erratic.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:16 AM
BruceDana

Default Hangar 9 Aspire

I've got one I hope to sell Saturday at a swap meet. I didn't like the flying characteristics - mine was very touchy on balance.

The plane looks nice, but you would be better off with a GP Spirit ARF (in Monokote) for the same price.

The wing on the Aspire is too weak for sustained winch launching - highstart is OK. I made a lawn dart out of mine on the 4th launch (wing broke right at the joiner - it's repaired now).

Also, covering is Ultracote - I could not keep the wrinkles out of it. As such, you have to be very careful to keep twists out of the wing as the framing is so light in the wing covering is a constant job.

If you are looking for a nice ARF glider at a reasonable price, check out the Alpha Club. Multiplex has them at:

http://www.multiplexrc.com/alphaclub.htm

I hope your experience with the Aspire is better than mine - good luck!
Old 03-01-2002, 02:16 PM
R. Carver

Default Hangar 9 Aspire

We've had a few show up at our club and I've had a chance to fly a couple...
The ones I got my hands on flew well, I really liked the way they just kind of "grooved" in the turns BUT the way that the plane is set up has a lot to do with that. I will say it IS a bit heavier than it should be.
I've only seen one of them blow up on the winch, the guy was giving it WAY too much pedal. The Spirit is prone to wing failure as well. Most built up planes take a little finesse with the pedal anyway. No zooms! Hi-starts shouldn't be a problem.
IMHO the Aspire and the Spirit are about the same, six of one, half a dozen of the other.
I can't recommend either plane's electric powered versions, the stock drive systems barely work (need a gearbox and bigger prop) from what I've seen.
There are much better planes out there if you don't mind building (and I use the term "building" loosely considering how easy some of the laser-cut kits fall together).
Check out the 2M Bird from Skybench.com, they have an E-version as well.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Auger Din

Default Hangar 9 Aspire

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm now looking around for another glider idea. I'm not keen on high starts yet. Problably because I haven't found anyone who will show me the proper way to use them. I folded the wings on one sailplane using one, and have been leery ever since.

A friend of mine has the ThunderTiger Sparky 3 channel electric, and I've flown it a few times.

It handles pretty well, and I may just consider that instead. Though it does seem a bit heavy, and doesn't have a polyhedral wing.

AH well, the joy is in the hunt eh?
Old 03-03-2002, 11:11 PM
Jack Rowland

Default Hangar 9 Aspire

Auger Din ( and anyone else in the Detroit area)
Maybe we can help if you are in the Detroit area : http://www.ameritech.net/users/nsore...tm#FLYING_SITE
This is the link for the Michigan International Soaring Society. We use both winches and highstarts and also fly electric. Monthly club meeting is tomorrow night (first Monday) at EAA hanger at Mettatel (sp?) airport in Plymouth. We have 2 or 3 different sites we fly at. Stop on out or drop an e-mail if interested in more info.
Regards, Jack
[email protected]