Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

wing loading

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 11:48 AM
motoadve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing loading

Is the rule that the least amount of wing loading the more the glider will float or fly with less wind?

Im looking at the Icare website and see that the acrobatic gliders has more wing loading than the thermal gliders and this created a confusion to me.

What other aspects are involved?

Quote from the site ICARE : the Jantar glider "This model is very easy to fly, probably one of the nicest to thermal, easy to histart or winch. It has very smooth and predictable handling, on the slope you will find that it can fly in pretty light air."
wingspan is 95"
and the wing loading is
40 g/dm2 (13.4 oz/sq. ft.)

And this the aerobatic and racer glider Swift S1 with a wingspan of 75"and a wingloading of 36 g/dm2 (12 oz/sq. ft.) .

Shouldnt the thermal glider have less wing loading?
Old 04-09-2003, 06:12 PM
SoarNeck

Default wing loading

Not neccesarily. The airfoil choice plays into this as well, since (*dramatic generalization warning*) a thinner airfoil won't usually tolerate heavier loadings as well as a thicker one will.

For example, the S3021 from the Jantar is a slower, higher-lift airfoil than the 7000-series airfoil from the Swift.

Neither of these models is going to thermal as well as a purpose-designed sport model with the same span. While Etienne at Icare is a good guy to deal with, his product advertisements are sometimes a little misleading (ie the demon-possessed 3.2m DG-600).

Scale models only really come into their element in thermal mode when they hit 4m or so. The smaller ones are usually better candidates for slope soaring only.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:22 PM
motoadve

Default wing loading

Thanks for your reply.
Maybe you can help me and give me a recommendation:

Im looking for a scale type glider to use for slope but when there is light wind.
I have the Swift and flies great with medium to strong wind , but horrible in light wind.

Ettienne recommended me either the discuss 2b or the Jantar.
(those are the sizes Im looking to buy, about 2.5 mts wingspan)
I asked about the small Salto but he says it flies like the Swift.

Which one will you recommend?
Old 04-09-2003, 06:33 PM
SoarNeck

Default wing loading

Keeping in mind that I've never seen either of these two models fly in person, I'd go with the Jantar. While the wing areas/spans/airfoils seem similar, the bigger versions of the Discus all like to fly fast and heavy. They'll probably be pretty close in performance, with the Jantar being more durable since the wing planform is simpler.

I know that the little 2m ASK-21 doesn't look like much (and after seeing a friend's 4m version, its hardly even close to scale), but it's a great little flier. One of the guys in our club had one, and he even used to toss it around like a hand launch on the flat field. If you did that with any of the other scale models in that size, you'd tipstall before you made the first turn! It would stay up in very light lift on the slope too, if I recall.

The 2m Fox is a great flier too, but it needs a bit of wind.