Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Anyone Going To The....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 02:12 AM
InsaneFoamie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Going To The....

PSS FESTIVAL IN CAL THIS COMING MONTH??GOING WITH SOME FRIENDS AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.DRIVING FROM A.Z. TO CAL. SO I HOPE ITS WORTH IT.OUR PLANES ARN'T IN THE BEST CONDITION EITHER BECAUSE OF THE DESERT TERRAIN WE FLY IN.MOSTLY ROCKS AND CACTUS TO LAND IN.IT MAKES KEEPING THEM PRETTY NOT SO EASY.HOPE THATS NOT WHAT THE PSS IS ALL ABOUT.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:09 PM
TFLG

The PSS Festival is a fun weekend of relaxed slope flying. The terrain at Cajon is typical Socal desert stuff. Scrub bushes, dirt and small rocks. There will be some cool planes and there will be 100 or more average planes. A few guys will show up with trash of course. (Same as every other big fun fly i've been too).

There are usually about 15-20 guys there flying on Friday. It's mostly the ISR club guys and the long distance travelers. They are usually flying Little PSS rocketships, 60" racers etc. No signs are up on Friday so it's not easy to find the location if you've not been there or have a decent map. The lift at Cajon can blow early but normally it starts to get flyable around noon to 1pm. The best winds are usually in the mid to late afternoon.

Saturday is the main contest day. The static judging, awards, and raffle are run on Saturday. Most of the local guys will only show for Saturday. You get about 50 pilots and about 150 other people up on the slope. It's gets a wee bit crowded parking wise but the flying is usually fine since we have two flying areas a couple hundred yards apart.

Sunday is a relaxed day of flying with usually 25-30 pilots. Most of the spectators and other folks will be absent so it's a far better flying envoronment on Sunday.

On monday in past years quite a few guys have headed over to Parker Mt. for a DS adventure. It's just over an hour east of Cajon so it's not too far a drive.

The planes are usually small with the odd exception here and there. The lift is usually very good although one year it was fogged in on Sunday. The landing areas are small and not all too flat either. But unless it's blowing 35+ landing is not difficult.

Lot's of cool planes
Great Raffle
Good food (saturday only)
fun people to BS with

Sorta like Soar Utah without the white wings.

Brian
Old 05-01-2003, 02:18 AM
InsaneFoamie
My Feedback: (2)

thanks for all the info.can you camp there for the weekend???barbecue?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:16 PM
TFLG

In past years some guys have camped at the site. Open fires are not permitted in that area. There is a lot of dry brush so the fire danger is quite high. I am not sure if a permit is required to camp or not but I would not expect anyone to be checking anyway.

TFLG