Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Glider Gyro

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 06:12 AM
wildblueyawner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glider Gyro

I'd like to try a gyro on the elevator of a glider for pitch-locking, or at least pitch-stabilization, for use during those times when the plane is hard to see, e.g. way up in a thermal above me.

Anyone know of any brands particularly suited for this?

Thanks all
Old 07-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glider Gyro

Hey Wild blue

I would not recommend to put a gyro an the elevator of a glider because it will tend to stabilize the glider on horizontal and this will make you loose speed and stall which can be very very dangerous (been ther done that and almost lost the fight).

You should never fly your ship higher than the altitude where you can still se the stab. all above this is very dangerous for your ship.

Just make your glider loose some altitude and than get him back up do this as long ast the thermo last and than go to the next one.

It is not a question of how high u go but how well you can use the given lift so dont go for high but for efficincy.

If you still want to use a gyro use it in the ailerons it can com very handy on take off but why??

If you need more info I will be glad to help u.

br

Landi
Old 07-03-2002, 05:02 PM
Terror Dactyl

Default Glider Gyro

When I get past the spec height and start loosing sight of it I will pull the right stick into the up/left corner and wait till I can see the plane again.

If you cant see the plane I would thing the best bet is to get it down with a spin till you can control it again.

Take care Jim
Old 07-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Landi

Default This is very dangerous

Hey Jim

Don't you know that it could be that your glider is going in to a cloud and that cumulus clouds can develop 40.000 to 100.000 horse power. This is why airline pilots always go arround them. If it is dangerous for the big boys what do you thing it will do to your glider.

A spin is ok in a emergency situation but remember the structural load on your plane is very very high and should not be done very often or you may one of this days snap your wing. Unless of course if you have a aerobatic glider like a fox, swift or others which are built for this kind of maneuevers and more.

Dont ever loose sight of your plane. Come down, apply the air breaks to loose altitude or go in to a crow position with your flaps and airlerons. If your glider does not have any of this go to buy a decent glider don't be so grithy (just a joke). Use your airlerons in a up position it will make you loose altitude very fast to.

regards

Landi
(I fly so i crash)
Old 07-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Terror Dactyl

Default Glider Gyro

From what I have observed there is less stress of a glider from spinning that pointing it down and then try to pull out after yopu have built a bunch of speed, but to each their own. Take care Jim
Old 07-07-2002, 01:33 PM
Landi

Default Dive

Jim

I 100% agree with you that comming out of a dive there is more stress on the structure of the plane.

When you apply the brakes and or the crow possition you are not going in to a dive but you are reducing lift which makes the glider sink and NOT dive.

Those are two pairs of shoes and it should not be mistaken.

br

Landi

(I fly so I crash)