Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Two (Three) - peice wing modification

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Two (Three) - peice wing modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:51 PM
OBG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two (Three) - peice wing modification

Hi ,

If for example, I built a Gentle Lady, or scratch built a glider for myself, how could I build the wing to be detachable into two or three pieces? I would like to do this for ease of transportation. I'm interested in a design that is simple to build, yet strong enough to handle a Hi-start launch. Thank you for your time and expertise =).
Old 05-07-2003, 05:13 PM
AcintSpec

Scarlet:

If you were to build your wing with the center section built solidy (not joined or with a wing rod) with all the shear webs and joiners, and then build joiner boxes for the poly section of the wing to fit into would be one way to accomplish a 3 section wing. The center portion of the wing usually will take on the heaviest loads during launch, etc. and will be stronger when built like this.

R/Gene
Old 05-07-2003, 07:26 PM
OBG

Hi,

Thanks for replying =). I'm sure your advice would be very helpful but because I'm such a Newbie I really don't know how to go about building those structures. For example, what is a "box joiner", "wing joiner" and the other items you discussed.

I think what would help me at this point would be a picture or diagram that shows me how to build the actual structures that allows the wing to detach. A step-by-step explaination of how to build them would be really helpful. I have some good experience building ...i just need to have some sort of plan.

Thank you =)
Old 05-07-2003, 10:06 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

See if you can get someone to send you the parts of the plans and instructions for putting the joiners in the wing of an Olympic 650. The three piece wing for the GL would be just a little larger than the Oly, but the joiners would work just fine. I'll look in my old plans box. Maybe I've got them.

Roger
Old 05-07-2003, 10:30 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

I found the plans, but I don't have the instructions. The plans have enough info to get the job done. If you send me an email or personal message with your email address, I'll be able to send them to you as an attachment. They're too large to fit as an image here.
Roger
Old 05-08-2003, 12:41 PM
AcintSpec

If you need some instructions for the Oly 650, I may still have an old construction manual from RCM (something about building sailplanes etc..) that featured the Oly 650 as the building, covering, trimming, flying project that I could post your way if desired.

R/Gene
Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 AM
Nikolas K

Default RE: Two (Three) - peice wing modification

Hi all!

For the Gentle Lady sailplane, we have the option to go for a wing with removable wingtips. The instructions clearly show how to do it, but each wing panel uses just one brass tube in the forward spar, apparently for weight saving.
Having read the Electra and Sophisticated Lady instructions, I have seen that they also use a brass tube in the rear spar for each wing panel. Is this a better thing to do in my Gentle Lady?Because as I understand intuitevely, the outer panels won't hold the correct angle of incidence with just one joining point (i.e they will rotate around the pivot).