Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Resurecting a Lovesong

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM
ChipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resurecting a Lovesong

I pulled my 18 year old Dodgson Lovesong out of the basement and am going to fly it tomorrow if its not too windy. I flew this last in Memphis with the Memphis Area Soaring Society (MASS ) back in the early 90s.
I now live in Northern Virginia and am going to check out the Capital Area Soaring Assoc (CASA) tomorrow.
When I pulled this from the basement I was surprised at how good the condition was. No hanger rash etc. A couple of the control surfaces were a little warped. I've since straightened them with a little heat. I've also ordered a new 2.4mz radio and some new receiver batteries.

The next step is to get out the winch, replace the line, get a new winch battery...........

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97648.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	956483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73544.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	956484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21473.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	956485  
Old 05-25-2008, 05:58 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Resurecting a Lovesong

OH MY!
That bird is to old to fly. You should pack it up safe and warm and mail it to me for its retirement LOL
It looks great and sounds like you have the redo well in hand. HAVE FUN
Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 PM
rcsoar4fun
My Feedback: (12)

Chip, looks like a good bird. The lovesongs are hard to beat, even now. Once you fly one nothing else is ever the same.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 PM
ChipG

Thanks for the kind posts.

I got to throw it a few times this past weekend....no problems yet. The radio in it is an older Expert 7 and I'm a little afraid the old batteries won't give me much air time.

I bought a new Futaba 2.4 transmitter, Receiver & battery to put in it and of course it has different connectors from the existing servos. I'm tempted to put 4 new servos in it too.

Any reccomendations on where to get some cheap Futaba " J " servo leads or new servos, let me know. Tower wants over $5 bucks for each lead.

Thanks

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43849.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	958427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80385.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	958428  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:12 PM
SoarLA45

What a mess of servo linkages you have in the cockpit! You can get cheap J conns at a local hobby store for 3 bucks each, or make them yourself, which is what I do. You only need two short metal rods, like the ones that are used on PC conns and motherboards,(the ones that connect pieces to one another or the legs on transistors), and some shoo goo. This glue is extremely useful. You just place the rods in a vice so that they are the exact distance apart to fit another conn, and you put a glob of shoo goo in the middle of both so that you have a glob with rods sticking out both ends. The you solder the wires to the rods and cover the solder with more shoo goo or with tape. There is another alternative to shoo goo, it is called Moldimix, and it is a kind of epoxy putty. You mix the two bars of yellow and blue putty together until it turns green and gets warm then you use it like play-doh and let it dry overnight. I have only seen this product in peru so I am not sure if it is sold in the US.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 PM
ChipG

Linkages !

Bob Dodgson was famous for them. If you are not familiar with the Lovesong, It had mixed rudder & aileron, mixed elevator and flaps, CROW with compensated elevator and reflex trailing edge, all with a 4 channel radio and 4 servos. This is almost a 20 year old plane from before computer radios.

The new receiver has pins so the servo connectors have to be female.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:09 PM
SoarLA45

Oh. Did the lovesong really have all of that? Wow, what a great plane. I have a 5 channel non computer radio. Could you post the plans? Cause that would be one really nice plane to build.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM
SoarLA45

I see you have the old "g" conns in your plane. You will have to add a lot of weight to balance the plane because the new 2.4 receiver weighs less than a fat flea.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Fxrs_tim

I had a Windsong (predecessor of the Lovesong) as my first sailplane... Man, what memories that brings back!!! Nothing like being able to thermal out a 134" open class sailplane from a handlaunch. I started out w/ mechanical mixing on mine too. After my first season of flying it, I refurbished it and got total flying weight down to something like 64oz.

Zagi - If you want one, contact Sean Lenci, as he's selling fuses and plans. There's a yahoo group dedicated to Dodgson's designs where you'll find a bunch of us who loved 'em.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dodgsondesigngroup/

Tim
Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 AM
ChipG

It is a great plane and I'm glad its still in great condition. The system for the mechanical mixing was/is called "A.F.A.R.T." Automatic Flap Aileron Reflex Trim. I allways loved that acronym.
The new receiver is tiny, It doesn't seem like its possible that it can do all the stuff the older, bigger receivers did. Luckily, The Lovesong has a built in nose ballast box, All I have to do is poor in some shot.
Sorry I no longer have plans, I did find an original Dodgson catalog.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 AM
OzMo

Wow BE NIC to that work of art and get new batteries I just tooth picked a new glider using a POS battery. NOT a good day.[:@]
Not a good idea and I thought my new fancy nickel metal hydride high miliamp hour battery was good (off brand from eba^)[:@][]
If you crash that fine bird on old batteries....well you don't want to go there.

LINKAGE IN A DODSON...no that is just sculpture
Old 05-30-2008, 09:47 AM
rogerflies

Did anyone else notice the airfoil-shaped knob on the switch pushrod? Nice touch!!

I see the "trip" on the top of the wing, too. What a nice plane. Mine doesn't have the trip or the fourth servo, but it's a still a lot of fun to fly.

Roger
Old 05-31-2008, 07:43 AM
ChipG

I'm surprised nobody noticed the wingtips.......I doubt it did anything for performance but, They look great to me. Brought it out to 134" span
Old 05-31-2008, 02:48 PM
glasflugel

There is a wing/tailfeathers kit on ebay for the Dodgson Lovesong currently listed
Old 05-31-2008, 08:59 PM
glasflugel

That Windsong wing/tailfeathers kit is item #330239511748. A Saratoga Windsong full kit #280232075358 and a Dodgson Designs Saber Sailplane kit #280232080276 are also listed.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:22 PM
OzMo

there is a Dodson NIB kit on eba^ guys. I just got a new bird kit in the mail today and have one on the bench so I can't go for it now.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello
I am not into sailplanes but got completely hook by the Camano 100. it has the eppler 193 airfoil. I am looking for a set of plans and instructions. I haven,t tried S. Lensi yet because I am not sure if I will ever build it. My interest is 1/4 scale and turbines. my F14 is screaming for attention. Just could not pass by that camano it is one sleek looking machine. will probably trade or sell it. any Ideas??.

Too busy for sailplanes
Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
pokypaden

Very nice Lovesong, it is great to see that someone else still fliesn the Lovesong besides mself. the lovesong is truly one of the great designs ever, and is still a great flyer today. once anyone has taken this plane up, it is hard to fly anything else.

For those who enjoy Dodgson Designs I have plans for the TODI, MAESTRO,PIVOT,And LOVESONG I would be willing to share.

After a hard landing as a result of a wing snap from pushing the plane to hard, I'm currently building a new Maestro form stock plans while working on a redesign of the same with a taco shell fusalge and foam wings. I'll let you know how this works out.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Poky,

I'll take copies of those plans if the offer is still good. Can you get them scanned and turned into PDF files?

Jeff
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Bobt2
My Feedback: (4)

i still have 4 lovesong/ windsongs in the rafters. trying to figure out a electric power system. i figure about 450 watts with a folding prop? i put a 300 watt system on a spirt 100 and it works well.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Fxrs_tim

ORIGINAL: Bobt2

i still have 4 lovesong/ windsongs in the rafters. trying to figure out a electric power system. i figure about 450 watts with a folding prop? i put a 300 watt system on a spirt 100 and it works well.

Blasphemy....
Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Bobt2

new field doesn't have room for a high start or winch. and my 1/3 super cub is still unfinished for a tow plane
Old 05-01-2009, 06:41 AM
juggler-3310

Pokypaden, I am interested in several of the planes you listed, especially the Lovesong. Let me know how to contact you for copies of those building plans.

juggler
Old 05-05-2009, 05:35 PM
rcsoar4fun
My Feedback: (12)

I have a couple of Lovesong and Pivot kits around, I plan on converting one of each to electric. Both planes do pretty well with a little weight, electric shouldn't be a problem. I would avoid too much power on the lovesong, the E214 just isn't a very fast airfoil.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Bobt2

i,m going to try for a climb angle about the same as a winch launch. thats what i did with my spirt 100 and it worked out well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.