Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

a Bubble Dancer coming this way

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

a Bubble Dancer coming this way

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a Bubble Dancer coming this way

Well I finally comitted to a Bubble Dancer and have ordered a pod and boom and V mounts and kevlaor thread ...OH BOY!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 AM
sjgoulet

Default RE: a Bubble Dancer coming this way

Great OZ, hope i get to see it fly, have you given any more thought to your get together or are you going to wait till next year.
I,ve been flying every chance i get so ill be ready. Keep us informed on your build.
See ya
Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
OzMo

hi SJGoulet,
How about a monthly get together starting in the spring with a possible get together this fall. I still have to get some birds ready.
my Big Bird XL is ready to cover. And I want to get a Gentle Lady bashed build (different airfoil).
How is your winch? I have a generator and could find a 12v battery. The sky taxi is being covered now. That is a telemaster 2000 with towing and piggy back ability. I might have it done by Sunday but can't promise.
I have been scouting locations as well. Our club field would be fine for piggy back and towing but is poor for high start or winching.
There is a lot of great big old fields around and I don't mind approaching land owners. Glider guiders are a pretty good lot after all.

ozmo
Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We had 5 members of our club put together BD kits. One finished his mid season. The others hope ot have them done for the spring. The one that is flying is amazing!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 PM
elmog

How is the Bubble Dancer compared to the Ava? Jim
Old 10-17-2008, 10:02 PM
aeajr

The AVA is basically a copy of the Bubble Dancer with the extended wing. Construction and design are almost the same. Both thermal on a wish.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 PM
OzMo

Ed,
I hope your feeling guilty as you are one (of many) of the guys that are a bad influence on me and cause me to spend time and money on things like Bubble Dancers. LOL and THANKS BTW.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:31 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: OzMo

Ed,
I hope your feeling guilty as you are one (of many) of the guys that are a bad influence on me and cause me to spend time and money on things like Bubble Dancers. LOL and THANKS BTW.

Yes, guilt pours from me every time I put the AVA in the air. The darn thing practically fies itself. I feel guilty that I am not suffering with a heavy plane that falls from the sky. I suffer when it finds lift that other planes can't ride.

Actually the only guilt I feel is that I sold that BD kit to someone else in the club and HE will have a Bubble Dancer and I only have a copy. There is a true feeling of loss there. But I treat that with another flight. Works every time. :-)

Build it carefully and you will be so happy you built that Bubble Dancer. Enjoy it!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:21 AM
OzMo

I suffered a little budget blip do to the kids car needing fixxed. No biggy, but I had to modify my Bubble Dancer plan. Now I will scratch out the fuse pod and V-mounts. I will do a lost foam plug for the pod from blue foam and use a piece of woven kevlar tubing. I save about $50.00 or less. It is amazing how good of a deal a ready made one is when you start adding up the materials. I have ordered all my Carbon fiber and kevlar from CTS and will still need to order balsa. I was hoping to cut the build time a little.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
sjgoulet

Oz, once a month sounds great you gonna still try for this fall if so i cant wait !!! All i need to do for the winch is finish my brake and she's ready to rock. Ive been flying my ole trusty 3m Esteem behind the shop and my new one should be here this week, well new to me anyway, ive got a Xperience Pro comming and now i relly need to get the winch done but untill then ill just drag out the high start.
Flew alot on Sat. around 2pm the lift was dynamite but it never fails, your just ready to have one of your longest flights of the day and some one will pull up to the shop and need some work done so ya gotta come down, longest sat was 15 min one of my best so far with the Esteem. Well gotta get to work see ya soon i hope

Steve
Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 PM
OzMo

There is a bit of interest building . Just a few guys so far. I have to work this weekend.
Where is your shop? I work up that way from time to time. Also it is not to far for me to drive to fly either.

Starting to gather some Bubble Dancer parts, balsa will be next. [8D]
Old 10-21-2008, 08:10 AM
sjgoulet

Oz, my shop is on 65 hwy north of Buffalo (7) miles and a mile south of 64 hwy at Louisburg on the east side big gray building. Usually has a bunch of wrecks or trikes and motorcycles out front, stop by any time
Old 11-30-2008, 09:49 AM
aeajr

OzMo, how goes the build?

Of the 4 kits in our club, two are flying, one is ready to be covered and one is maybe half done. Those that are flying are works of art in the air.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:31 PM
OzMo

Hi Ed,
My computer smoked so I have been off line for a while. I have all the needed pieces and parts collected from pod and boom to kevlar tow and recently got some West Systems epoxy. The laser rib set and bulk AAA balsa are all stashed in a spot in the shop. Building on this one won't begin until after the new year[:@] I have a few honey does and prior projects in front of the BD.
Howevcer I am finished with my GLIDER TUG!!! oops battery is low on my camera so I will post pics later. I can aero tow or piggy back. It is a 6.5 foot wingspan Telemaster 2000 from Hobby Lobby with a newly rebuilt OS 91 FX. Ben Diss tow release and Hobby Lobby piggy back cradle. I spent some time setting up the radio for it last night. It has been to windy here for a maiden soon though.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 AM
qldviking

Oh my, I just gotta get me one of these baby's, where can I get one?
Old 12-13-2008, 02:01 AM
OzMo

Charlesriverrc.org

Plans are free and there are lots of pics and posts. It is a build it yourself deal. but you can find premade parts such as the pod and boom and laser cut short kits. About $300 for the materials. I spent a little more but I will have lots of epoxy and other materials left over for other projects.
don't order any "stuff" 'till you do some research but here are some sources.
Nationalbalsa.com
cstsales.com
there are more but definatly do some research. this is a plane that requires a LOT of bench time.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
qldviking

Hi OzMo
thanks for your reply and links. I have now spent quite some time looking for someone who sells the pod and boom, or even a kit. Bench time I enjoy, sure as h^^^ beats watching that crud on tv. The Charlesriverrc site was very interesting but I couldnt d/l anything for some reason [&:] I definately need help to find a pod/boom set up. Anybody?
cheers Johnno
Old 12-23-2008, 05:45 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: qldviking

Hi OzMo
thanks for your reply and links. I have now spent quite some time looking for someone who sells the pod and boom, or even a kit. Bench time I enjoy, sure as h^^^ beats watching that crud on tv. The Charlesriverrc site was very interesting but I couldnt d/l anything for some reason [&:] I definately need help to find a pod/boom set up. Anybody?
cheers Johnno
The only trouble is the Boom is longer than 1 metre and Australia post isn't going to like that. I built my BD from scratch and to be honest the boom and the pod is not that big a deal compared with the rest of the build. My tailboom was rolled around an aluminium pool cue and my pod was made using the lost foam method, The v-mount was a bit of work though as the mold was a total loss mold. I have posted pictures of my BD on rcgroups..

Solarcomposits in the US is the best place I've found for Uni carbon and sock. I used 3 layers of 1.7oz kevlar on the pod, each layer on a 45deg bias and trimmed with no overlap. This allowed me to pull out the wetted layup just like a big kevlar sock. I could do you a boom if you get desperate but Aussie post isn't going to be our friend unless you know somebody in Toowoomba?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59473.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1095303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32397.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1095304  
Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 AM
aeajr

Oz,

We need an update and some pictures. I thought this would turn into a build thread. Don't leave me haning like this.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 AM
OzMo

Hi Ed,
It will be, but I have not started it yet. I have been a building freak latley though. Finished my Big bird XL, Started a Gentle Lady bash with a friend. Drela foils with CF I beam spars Pull pull rudder. Just did all the PR for an ALL GLIDER FUN FLY for this Aug. posted in the events here and on RC groups. AMA sanctioned. For any glider even glow "poweird". My Tug is completed, 2 meter Telemaster with os 91FX. Piggyback and Tow ready. I will start the BD after the GL is ready( this is an intentional warm up build as we played with CF spar caps and Drela foils). And I maidened a 48" span 14 ounce Slope Bee today behind our walmart. Woooo Hooooo![8D]
Rome and Bubble Dancers are not built in a day
Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 AM
aeajr

Glider Fun Fly? I will have to check that out.

Busy little beaver have you been ..... yes!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM
sjgoulet

Hey Oz, cant wait till Aug ya know ill be there. Went to the flying field yesterday at about 3:30 and flew till 5:00 lift was great. I didnt take the winch out but its ready to go if ya ever need an extra 1. Only problem at the field yesterday was the dang geese, they decided it was time to feed they werent scared of of the 3m expro at all, tried to stay away from them almost got tangled up with them to bad goose season still isnt open. We need to get together and do some flying. See ya down the road.

Steve
Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 PM
OzMo

Hi Steve,
Looking forward to flying with you soon. I sloped my 48" foam wing Bee yesterday behind Walmart in Ozark no less. It was great!
I have Thursdays off and most weekends. I have found a couple of good spots down here as well. Thursdays will be an unofficial glider day at our field but it is to short and way to narrow for big high starts and way to small for winches. But the Tug will be a workin'!
What spans are your gliders? I have a club member with a square 10 acre field that would be fine for high starting 2 meter stuff we can fly on no problems. Other bigger fields spotted but no permision yet.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:33 AM
sjgoulet

Oz, been mostly flying the dlgs the Xpro is a 3.3m as is my old Esteem. Ive got the Hosemonster catapult doesnt really take alot of room as long as youve got about 250ft. Flew yesterday had my longest flights ever with the dlg 2 launches later specked out had to come down hands were getting cold so...... went back into the shop and got my gloves. Launched the SW11 again and specked her out again 38 minutes later it was time to come back down. Did get out the winch i just couldnt resist so up went the Xpro thermals were everywhere behind my shop, just over 1hr my neck was gettin sore so it was time to quit. How narrow is your guys field? behind my shop ive got real limited space (we also have a paintball field set up back there) dont have any problems landing. I did get a couple of good places to fly so just give me a call and we can get some flying done, if im not real busy at the shop which i have been weekends are great, might try and go out this afternoon if it warms up abit, bought one of those Optima batterys for the winch and im itchin to try it out.

See me later
Steve
Old 02-15-2009, 07:25 PM
OzMo

Sjoulet,
My hose monster bungee has 100' of rubber and 500' of twine it can be halved as needed. Our field is 700' x 200'or 250' ?at the width. I have used a high start there but it is easy for it to drift into tangley weeds. The field itself is very parklike but I need to have the overfly area brush hogged. I will try to get all that taken care of when we do our spring clean up.
Do any of your gliders have tow releaeses? Only my 3 meter Big Bird has a tow release.
I'll keep a watch on the weather and try to get up there soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.