Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

any one own a dynaflite butteryfly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

any one own a dynaflite butteryfly

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one own a dynaflite butteryfly

can someone give me the slowest throttle setting (prop/rpm numbers/engine) that the plane will fly on
btw would a .30 4 stroke be any worth while (magnum or os) im worried about not being able to land because of the high idle (10x6 prop at 2500-3000 rpm)

i was also thinking of putting solar panels on the plane to see how long i could keep it in the air (if i go electric), the details are here (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8446594/tm.htm)

thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM
rscarawa

Default RE: any one own a dynaflite butteryfly

How about this? Maybe this is more suitable for your application.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OS-FS-20-Four-St...3A1%7C294%3A50

Scot
Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

not a bad idea
Old 02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
soarhead-RCU

Mine flies fine with a little OS 15LA 2-stroke. Run it at 3/4 to full throttle for take off and climb-out and it will maintain altitude at a fast idle. A 30 size motor is overkill in my opinion, have seen some fly with a 25 and they went up like crazy, but this plane has a huge amount of wing area so it doesnt need much power to keep it up. A little 20-26 4 stroke would be great and quiet to fit the plane.
Look back a couple of months and their is a Butterfly thread with various power plants includeing electric. I have seen electrics fly with 2 geared 400s on the wing or 17turn, 550 car motors in gear boxes if you want to go cheap!!!
Mine is about 25 years old now and have replaced the fuel soaked nose, but still flys great and looks the same floating around a calm morning or evening sky....

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
captjckirk

I have two Butterflys, one has a Magnum 25, the other is electric. Both fly very well with the power they have. My favorite is the electric, lose a thermal, start the motor and find another. Best yet I don't have to clean the oil off it. I urge you to think Electric. The Butterfly is a great airplane, I'm ordering another kit since Dynaflite is stopping production on several of their kits and I don't want to miss one.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
rscarawa

+1 to the electro power idea. If you are willing to spend $200 on a 4c motor, why not go one better and fly electric. Electric setups will climb well and are much lower maintenance. Only downside is the initial setup cost for chargers and balancers if you go with lipo batteries. I put a brushless motor and lipo in a Spirit and love it. The extra weight over the pure sailplane makes flying in light wind days much easier and wind penetration is much improved.

Scot
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
avroarrow

My butterfly is powered with an old thunder tiger 15...takes off with 3/4 throttle, gets to the altitude I want, then I cut back the throttle to a high idle,just enough to keep it in level flight, then milk the odd thermal for some great 30min flights. This TT engine is an old one I reused that didn't have a home until I stuck it in the Butterfly. This is a very relaxing, low cost set up. I've considered electric, but 20 bucks worth of fuel in this 15 set up will fly it all year...I had to spend another 200 on an electric set up and lipo's to run a butterfly. The glow does well and really isn't much fuss. I also fly a couple of electric set up's in 3 meter glider planes that would run the butterfly very well, so I know the cost comparison for glow vs electric . The glow set up wins hands down, and I'm old school a little and still love my glow stuff, especially set ups that fly well, easily and allow you to just relax and soar around almost hands off. The butterfly does this very well and at minimal cost. I think I'll get one more and build a new one as I don't have the plans anymore to scratch build a new one up, and my older butterfly fuse is starting to get a little worn.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
tjones1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Butterfly was built in 1985 and is still going (with a new reinforced wing). I use a OS .25 FX and it flys great! Gets up into the sky alot better than the orginal Super Tigre .19
Old 08-29-2009, 04:47 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I bet you don't have a problem with your landing speed.

For those still interested in the original problem, forget trying to solve the problem by crunching numbers. Whatever engine you're using, try some different props. With each one, adjust your idle trim to get the idle down into a nice slow idle. (If you haven't adjusted for a good reliable, steady idle with the pinch test, maybe you should.) Then fly and see if the landing is too fast. If it is, then try another prop, especially one with less pitch. Or start out with a prop with about a 4 pitch and work the other way.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:32 AM
likeswindinhair

When I went to Joesph oregon for the fly in this summer, there was a old boy who had one his wife built. Bright colors small glow motor and big foam landing wheels. He was in the air more than most, and it was one of my favorites by the end of the day of watching every flight at the event. I chuckled at the way it out flew most or all planes there. I didnt know dynaflight was cutting back, better order one
Old 09-05-2009, 07:26 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Try hobby city for a nice brushless/lipo set up CHEAP!
Hobbycity.com