Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

receiver fit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 PM
snobelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default receiver fit question

I have been flying RC electric and nitro for a while but would like to break into gliders. After studing this for some time now, I have decided that I will start with a small electric, folding prop, three channel model just to see how it goes. I'm interested in the e-flite Ascent PNP but I can't find the receiver requirements anywhere. All the ads say is "just add your own 3 channel radio". I have an Airtronics RDS 8000 and will need to use the matching Airtronics receiver (correct?). The E-Flite Ascent does not list space limitations for a receiver so I'm not sure if the Airtronics receiver will fit. I don't want to buy a plane and then find out I need a whole new radio system to match. Any suggestions on how to go about finding if my radio will fit this or other planes that are on the market?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: receiver fit question

This will have standard micro servos that are compatable with Futaba, JR, Hitec, etc. I assume that they would also be compatable with the modern Airtronics systems. By small any reasonably small receiver will fit, about 5/8" thick, 2" long, 1.5" wide should fit easy. You can always call Eflite or Horizon and ask them.

"add your favorite receiver, battery, charger and radio and you’re ready to fly."

It doesn't really say it has to be that small. It looks fairly roomy....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...FL2700&Index=4

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...FL2700&Index=6
Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
snobelt

Thanks Evan - having only worked with larger sport planes, with LOTS of room, this has not been a problem for me in the past. I have seen some kits that specify "micro" receivers so this worried me a bit. I will make the measurements on the Airtronics receivers and contact E-Flite also.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:08 PM
garthk
My Feedback: (5)

I just got one of these and I used a full size 8 channel rx at first, it fit OK, but I got a hitec micro 05s and it is soooo much smaller and lighter! With the big rx, I had trouble fitting my long (4.25") 1250 3s lipo, but the TP 1320 fit fine because it is shorter. With the Micro Rx you could probably fit 2100-2500 no problem but it would be overkill, as I can get 45 mins to 1.5 hrs on a 1320. Hope this helps. I was a little disappointed in the way my parts seemed to not fit well without me carving/cutting and refitting, but the thing flies great! I even put a camera onboard and it handles the weight (3.2oz) fine.

Oh and I think the hitec will work with your airtronics radio too, it has autoshift, its full range, and best of all only 23 bucks!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What size receivers are available for your Airtronics radio?

Why this glider?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
snobelt

I was under the impression that I had to use Airtronics receivers for my RDS8000 FHSS. Guess I was wrong. That's very good news indeed since the 8 channel Airtronics receiver is pretty expensive if you only need two or three channels. So glad I asked. As to the question "why this glider?" Okay - I'm open to suggestions on that. But here's why. I want to get a glider into the air this season and don't have much of the winter left to build one - much as I love to build planes. The small wingspan (54") should allow some park flying. Electric - so I don't have to rely on a helper to get airborne. Price seems about right. I have read some good things about this glider as well. Given my total lack of glider experience, should I be looking at something else? There seem to be hundreds of ARF's and kits out there and narrowing it down is difficult at best. Glad to have any advise you can give on the topic.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: snobelt

I was under the impression that I had to use Airtronics receivers for my RDS8000 FHSS. Guess I was wrong. That's very good news indeed since the 8 channel Airtronics receiver is pretty expensive if you only need two or three channels. So glad I asked. As to the question "why this glider?" Okay - I'm open to suggestions on that. But here's why. I want to get a glider into the air this season and don't have much of the winter left to build one - much as I love to build planes. The small wingspan (54") should allow some park flying. Electric - so I don't have to rely on a helper to get airborne. Price seems about right. I have read some good things about this glider as well. Given my total lack of glider experience, should I be looking at something else? There seem to be hundreds of ARF's and kits out there and narrowing it down is difficult at best. Glad to have any advise you can give on the topic.
Sorry but, yes you must use Airtronics 2.4 GHz receivers with the Airtronics 2.4 GHz transmitter. No options.