Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Slope Soaring in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 01:56 PM
spader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slope Soaring in NJ

Hi All,
Anybody know of any site for Soaring in NJ ?

I did hear about Mountainview Park/NJ/Bridgewater but I am not sure where it is ?

TIA
Old 08-25-2003, 03:53 AM
Chillybee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slope Soaring in NJ

TIA,

I work in Bridgewater but haven't heard of Mountainview Park. Most of the prevailing winds are from the NW with an ocassional S-SW. Maybe it overlooks SW toward rt 287. I did try sloping off of a huge rock which is next to the turnpike in Secacus. It's about a mile north of exit 18 if you're travelling on the part of the turnpike that takes you to the Lincoln Tunnel. You can't miss it because it's the huge rock face that would be on the left as you go across a bridge which crosses what I believe is the Hackensack River. The coordinates are approximately 40N 45.545 74W 5.290. It faces NW and the lift was great. From where I flew, you'd have to fly a foame because the landing area was small which required me to fly my zagi right at my feet and land on the rocks. If I was any good, I would have caught it. Perhaps if I'd hiked up to the very top there would have been more room. The total height of the place must be around 200 feet with nearly vertical cliffs and is at least 1000 feet long. The wind blows across a swamp so it's very smooth. If anyone wants directions, just drop me a message.

Chillybee