Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Modified easter flight

Old 04-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Superbike1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified easter flight

I took out my eflite ascent today as the weather here is beautiful. A little windy but good enough. I replaced the speed control that came with it 22amps, to a 25 amp Grayson hobby esc. I also tried out a 2cell 1350 mah battery from Common sense rc. This thing is awesome. I flew it up till it was a little dot and then cut the power and descended about half way down, I caught some lift and had to put it into a tight spiral to lose the altitude that I had gained so quick. It wanted to climb out of sight. All of this without using the motor except for the initial launch. I finally brought it down to a super slow landing in the yard and proceeded to put in a 3 cell 1800 mah. It rocketed to an unbelievable height at an unbelievable rate of climb. I almost could not see it in about 45 seconds. I cut the power and I flew it for another good 45 minutes without the throtle so much as being touched. This thing is awesome! Did I say that already? Oh well here is my setup for it and it works really well this way. I installed an AR6100e and I placed it in the rear of the fuselage so that the antenna could stick out of the cooling holes in the back. Then I attached the speed control to the underside of the part of the fuse that the wings screw into. Then I used a velcro strap to hold the battery in place so that it would not move around. I replaced the stock propeller with an after market 10x6 folding prop setup from the LHS. It uses almost no power to fly and it really moves with the 3 cell. The hard part is landing. I can set it down in about 50 yards but that is as small as I can do it. If I come in at knee height it will still be knee height at 50 yards. I have to make it land. Just wanted to tell my story of easter to the world. I still have time for more flight after dinner Yay!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:41 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Modified easter flight

That is great!
But I am afraid we will have to shoot you now. You see while you were excitedly staring into the sky you inadvertantly stepped on and killed the Easter Bunny!
Happy Easter

Old 04-13-2009, 10:15 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's not fair, you got to fly and I got dragged to a family easter event where all I got was drunk and riddled about when I was going to get married to my girl. I think I would have rather spent the holiday crashing a plane than sitting there getting nailed with an endless onslought of pokings and harrassment![&o]
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Superbike1

I'm sorry that you all may have not had as good an Easter as I did. I did get in more flight time and it was awesome. I am so glad that I bought this inexpensive plane. If you don't have one, you should get one.