Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Spektrum FAILS yet again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum FAILS yet again!

If anyone has a DX7 that does the full right and down full power on thing, I would like to buy it. I will bind it to my RX and see if the same thing happens. If it does, we will know it's the TX. I fly Spektrum so I am interested and concerned. Unfortunatey, I don't have the wallet to be able to fly the real big stuff so for me, it is important to not have another failure. Yes rack, I said another failure. Horizon was great in that they fixed the problems at no charge. I will buy from them again. If the 2.4 continues to give me problems, I will buy a JR on 72. I would like to test a suspect TX to see if that is the problem. If anyone wants to loan one, I will be willing to give all my personal info so you know 'i am for real or send you something of equal or greater value BEFORE you loan me the TX.  I have a good working knowledge of electronics and radio. Been into electronics and ham radio for 25 years. I just want to try to figure this out.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I dont mind a little flaming and insults...makes the thread more spicey and intersting...!!! I fly a DX-7 and always use 6.0v packs, I nore any other pilots at the field have had any 2.4 problems, Spktrum, or Futaba. RC Report did an extensive tests with 40 DX-7 transmitters, Futaba 2.4's, and JR 9003's. Even took the flight packs airborne in a real Cessna 172, with signal meters etc... They even compared 72 Mhz system for grins. The man conducting the test is a Futaba owner. Test results, 72 MHz had the least range, then Futaba 2.4, then Spektrum DX-7 Series which matched the X9003, and the X9003 Spektrum with the 4 antenna, power blaster (whatever device) was the best. Interference was tested by turning on 5, then 10, then 20, up to 40 DX-7's at a time. As a note the Futaba 2.4 could not even conduct a ground range test with 40 DX-7's turned on. Latency and other issues were tested, the more DX-7's that were on, the slower things got for all brands, but more so for the Futaba.

Great article for comparison...I can try and find the article, and maybe scan it for a post...
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
rack
My Feedback: (11)

havtng binding problems before flying didnt alert you that you have a major problem , iv been using spec/jr since they came out i even used the orig park flyer in a 120 stick it worked perfectly , i m using a 12x with mostley power safe receivers , iv never had a lock out ever
ORIGINAL: clamb147

Ok, first off. The plane was fine. Nothing was wrong with it. Don't stand up for Spektrum, they've been failing for a while now. And I just found out about the DX7, and the DX6i came out when?Come on, cut to the chase.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 PM
rack

ill give a thousand dollars for one call me i will pick it up 815 325 9128 but you had better be able to demonstrate it and not a programmable mix
ORIGINAL: 2711

If anyone has a DX7 that does the full right and down full power on thing, I would like to buy it. I will bind it to my RX and see if the same thing happens. If it does, we will know it's the TX. I fly Spektrum so I am interested and concerned. Unfortunatey, I don't have the wallet to be able to fly the real big stuff so for me, it is important to not have another failure. Yes rack, I said another failure. Horizon was great in that they fixed the problems at no charge. I will buy from them again. If the 2.4 continues to give me problems, I will buy a JR on 72. I would like to test a suspect TX to see if that is the problem. If anyone wants to loan one, I will be willing to give all my personal info so you know 'i am for real or send you something of equal or greater value BEFORE you loan me the TX. I have a good working knowledge of electronics and radio. Been into electronics and ham radio for 25 years. I just want to try to figure this out.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Rack, what good would it do to call you. You have proven to everyone here that you are part of the problem and not the solution. By the way, I had a Spektrum RX go bad, I would call that a failure. It died while I was setting up my Raptor 50. It was promptly replaced by my LHS because it was less then 3 hours old! What do you suppose I did wrong?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

[quote]ORIGINAL: rack

th your doing spek/jr a great injustice
[quote]

I think you are doing an equally great injustice with that cavlier attitude....and this from a satisfied Spektrum user.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:14 PM
maddog 71

Our club uses DX-7 exclusivley and we have absolutly zero problems with them . And we have had our share of interferance with other radio systems in the past! But to knock on wood the Spectrum has come through for us. Im not pointing directcly at the problem just throwing something out there but it could be a linking problem on ur behalf or trhe installation.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 PM
ggroyal1

I have been flying four 50cc planes for 1&1/2 years with a JR9303 2.4ghz transmitter and JR921 receivers with zero failures. I use 6 volt nimh batteries, 7.4 volt lipos with 6 volt regulators, and 7.4 liIons with smart-fly sport plus and a few electrics.
The failures I have seen at the club are pilot error, receiver battery, power lead connector pulled out of receiver(no slack), ESC overload and defective power switch. We have so many 2.4ghz radios, we had to enlarge the frequency board to 25 slots (from 10). We still have four people that still use their $3000 Futaba radios and a few JR 72mhz. It is rare that we have a frequency conflict. With around $2000 in each of the gas planes, I would be the first to get rid of the 2.4gz systems if there were problems.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 PM
rack

no one said that the receivers couldn't go bad its that the failer rate is extremely low, lower than the72s thats why its important totest fly receivers in a plane thats sacrificial
spec/ jr have a 20 to one market share to futaba
ORIGINAL: 2711

Rack, what good would it do to call you. You have proven to everyone here that you are part of the problem and not the solution. By the way, I had a Spektrum RX go bad, I would call that a failure. It died while I was setting up my Raptor 50. It was promptly replaced by my LHS because it was less then 3 hours old! What do you suppose I did wrong?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: ggroyal1

I have been flying four 50cc planes for 1&1/2 years with a JR9303 2.4ghz transmitter and JR921 receivers with zero failures. I use 6 volt nimh batteries, 7.4 volt lipos with 6 volt regulators, and 7.4 liIons with smart-fly sport plus and a few electrics.
The failures I have seen at the club are pilot error, receiver battery, power lead connector pulled out of receiver(no slack), ESC overload and defective power switch. We have so many 2.4ghz radios, we had to enlarge the frequency board to 25 slots (from 10). We still have four people that still use their $3000 Futaba radios
I agree with you absolutely. In 30 years of flying R/C I have not seen a single crash that can be honestly blamed to receiver failure, either FM or 2.4. In the days when FM ruled the skies the most common cry after any crash was "I have been hit", which was just a good excuse to avoid the shame of admitting lack of experience or shoddy workmanship. Nowadays most folks blame their 2.4 systems.

If you study the files of the NTSB and look at the agency conclusions on the cause of full size aircraft's catastrophic accidents one will find that 97% were attributed to "Pilot Error", 2% "mechanical or electrical malfunctions" and less than 1% were actual unavoidable "act of God" accidents.

As long as men have egos this argument will continue, and no logical analytical analysis will prove or disprove to most people that they may be at fault. Me for my part will continue to use my old, trusty, and inexpensive 72mHz PCM systems, and maintain an alert vigilance for the bozos that think frequency pins are not necessary, since these guys will be the only likely cause that may shoot any of my planes down.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flawless performance here in our area too. Haven't heard of any problems and there are over a half dozen clubs and hundreds and hundreds of pilots, and probably 85% of all of them now fly 2.4 GhZ.

I completely disgredgard the guys making broad statements about rampant problems, it's all just talk and they have no proof nor do they wish to expend the effort to get any. That of course is MY broad statement, but I'm betting it's got more proof and accuracy behind it than theirs do. There are always people who want to stir things up. They LIVE for melodrama. Accuracy and proof are their enemies, it all gets in the way of their stories.

The guys who have stepped up and stated that they have seen far more losses due to shoddy workmanship than real radio problems, we all know they are right. Interestingly enough, nobody who wants to claim that their Spektrum is killing planes would also admit that they really build crappy linkages. They wouldn't dare let people know that they used the Chinese linkages that came with their ARFs. They wouldn't admit that a plane that has lost a critical control surface also gives you that "I don't have it!" feeling that a radio hit does.....all the way to the ground. Hard to prove that by us when all that's left is the proverbial Bag-O-Balsa..... I almost never look at other pilot's planes inside and like what I see.

In my experience, the guys who do the slap-dash work on their linkages are often the same guys who want to blame the radio....even though that plane probably flew longer on their crappy linkages than it SHOULD have! Linkages break...even the GOOD ones. So what do you figure the BAD ones will do under load? With a quick look at the wreckage of virtually ANY of these planes I could cast enough doubt just by inspecting the linkages to completely take the focus off of the radio.

Investigations and their findings have to be SOLID and unimpeachable. General statements don't cut it. If you won't ever fly another DX-7 then I'm glad for you, in fact I've got a WHOLE MESS of the 72's I'd just LOVE to sell you, as do most of the people reading this. But making sweeping and unsupported statements about MORE and MORE clubs not using 2.4's, that's crap. The plain truth is that more and more clubs are now USING the 2.4's, the Spektrums, the FAAST systems. Fewer and fewer pilots use the old technology now. If you can't provide something solid, something backed up by evidence, by accurate statements, then stop wasting our time. You're just screwing it up for the few people who take the time to give a true and accurate accounting of their experience, and making it harder to pick up whatever REAL problems might come to light by drowning it in a sea of garbage.. It was messy reporting and poor giving of accounts that slowed down the identification of the brownout problem and then more of the same and hype that kept people from knowing how simple a problem it really is to deal with.

By the way, I'm not talking about Air Tech here. His statements were very honest and accurate, and I agree with hjim about pretty much everything. Egos complicate life, and they complicate RC as well.

I know not much will change, but occasionally I just like to drop in and remind certain folks who live on melodrama and B.S. storiesthat most of us actually do know that they are FULL OF CRAP.

Now, I'm gonna go play with my DX7, which works perfectly, for some unknown reason. Just like all my friends' DX7's work perfectly....

Jim

Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive only had one problem with Spektrum, it was the 9ch module for my 10x, luckily i didnt lose my airplane. My plane locked out on me two times, got her down in one piece.... Thankfully a JR rep(Gary Dye) whom is in our club approached me and said he would send it in and have it back in few days. He said there was a bad batch of modules and that mine was one of them...Got the new module tested it with the Specktrum Flight Log on a "disposable" plane it checked out and havent had a a glitch yet in hundreds of flights on three different Rx's .

I still fly both 72mhz and 2.4 on my bigger investments, and havent had any problems other than the one above.....but when it comes to big fly ins and airshows i wont use anything but spektrum, theres hardly a chance, if any, to get shot down...

Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 PM
t57f100

i to have had problems with 2.4 but in this thread you found the answer i have flown this year making sure i bind my recievers at home after i set up my plane and when i get to whrere i am going to fly i have yet to have problem this year but i did get  what you guys who have had problems say a spiral like turn and no response try to bind at home and where you fly i lost two planes a taylor craft and a parkzone corsair horizon hobby reaplaced  the corsair for me they are good company.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 AM
t57f100

have you got a troubled reciever i think like what happened to me is a binding issue set all surfaces at home rebind at home bring plane to feild rebind at feild but be aware of electrical boxes or swticing type electris in the area and rebind it works good for me also what i have done now is to test fly a new reciever in my pz corsair first and then move that to my new planes but will see if it keeps working or not let me know this diving has happened to me to but i found the rebinding at home and the feild has taken that away for me.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:22 AM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Ok.. I'm gonna be blunt here. I have had first XPS.. I shouldn't have to explain that one. Lost a 38%er on that crap.. Went to spektrum.. Got tired of rebinding all the time and worrying about a lockout everytime I flew... Went to Fasst and not a problem.. I'm sorry but spektrum came on hard a little to early without years of testing the crap and now it's biting them in the a$%. Wonder why fasst technology has been used in industrial radio control for over 9 years.? Would you want a big crane holding 2 tons over you controlled but spektrum locking out?? I mean seriously this system is a class action lawsuit in the works. I Just hope it doesn't kill anyone when the next turbine or giant scale model locks out. Cant wait to get flamed here because I have heard enough of the crap the Spektrum users always revert to..( incorrect setup,battery,ect.) It's hard to admit your system is a fluke when you got a #$%^^ ton invested in worthless crap that fails. Makes you feel better to blame the poor guy on here that lost 3 planes about his setup even though you never met him.. Lock on 2 channels and lock out, or scan 30 and channel hop in miliseconds. Guess which is more robust? Wonder why all the manufacturs, (airtronics, hitec, ect.) are all using similar technology to fasst??
Old 06-06-2009, 12:45 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

My brother and Mother came up over the weekend for visit and flying. Great time, but I witnessed first hand 2, yes 2, different spektrum radio failures! Be warned! Bro lost his first radian to spektrum failure few weeks ago but he chalked it up to inexperience. He put stock rtf spektrum radio into plugnplay radian and it worked good for 2 days. Yesterday he was a good distance off and up high when he turned to bring it back it made 2or3 circles on it's own then a fierce nose dive. I quick said "full down elevator!" as it wouldn't pull up, it worked! He went inverted and was able to save the plane. He lost the canapy on that one. 3 hrs later he was a ways out and not that high up, nose dive again! No saving this one, POW nose in from several hundred feet. So, we got our rc cars out, and his spektrum dx3 would lose contact every 3 minutes or so! Be warned, spektrum is JUNK and should not be put into a sailplane, or any aircraft for that matter! Gonna pull mine out of my parkzone corsair before flying it again, have lost any confidence in their failing junky overpriced substandard equipment. Rant over now. If you have specky problems, post them up here as I would like to get an idea of the size of the problem.

If the radio responded to the inverted command, but not the upright elevator command, the failure was in the pushrod, not the radio.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-06-2009, 12:57 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Just like the people that say they have nothing but problems with 72MHz.....

Or six meters (50 MHz). I'm always trying to buy their gear when they leave the band.

As complicated and as rich in features as most of the 2.4 GHz gear is, I'm not surprised that folks are having some difficulty adjusting to it and I certainly am not surprised that some manufacturers may have occasional problems producing such complicated R/C gear. It happens. I've relegated all of my 2.4 GHz equipment to operating smaller, lighter, safer models. My gear, all four manufacturers units are 2006 units. Much has changed in the last three years. So far the gear is working well, but not without a few snafus here and there. My old six meter and four meter (72 MHz) gear is working just fine, so I'm in no hurry to force the 2.4 GHz issue at this point. They will get it straightened out eventually, if they haven't already.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-06-2009, 01:29 AM
da Rock

In less than a day this has exploded into a spitting contest.

This thread is closed until further notice.  If it can be cleaned up, it will be.  If not, it will be removed completely.  It will take some time to see which it is.

Whenever you feel the need to address another poster and offer your opinion OF THEM, you need to rethink the value of your post.  It's almost impossible to do that and insult that person. 

CLOSED