Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Spektrum FAILS yet again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
gmccord1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum FAILS yet again!

Hi Viking,

I've been reading all of these threads and I think you may be on to something. I have logged a few hundred flights in my short RC experience and I still use 72 Mhz with no problems (knock on wood!). In fact, I think there was only one time that I was shot down and I'm convinced it was due to a bad aileron servo. I'm going to need to get a new radio in the not so distant future and was considering Spectrum since they have come down in price. However, I'm very hesitant now after reading these threads. It seems to me that the technology of "zero interference" that Spectrum provides is already here but that there are so many variables that need to be done (i.e. binding the receiver, making sure it is not too close to battery, low voltage lock outs etc.) to prevent problems.

I think what ends up happening is that the increase in precautionary measures causes problems and subsequent crashes. But isn't that what the technology is "supposed" to be designed for??? To prevent interference and lost planes??? I don't know...what do you think?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 PM
qldviking

the 2.4g technology was originally for park flyers only,  and from what various radio technicians have told me, and also been stated on various threads, is that the way its set up[ at the moment its wide open to many forms of malfunction, including binding issues and and crosslinking with other sets.  I have learned enough that I will be staying well clear of 2.4g and if I ever do venture there again it will NOT be spektrum, but they will have to come up with some serious answers to these issues and then rework the system so it works.  I have seen more crashes on 2.4g than I have on 36mhz, and I see more flying 36mhz,  that in itself has got to say something.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 PM
qldviking

there are a number of threads relating to futaba and especially the faast system
Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 AM
freeair

Hi Mate, after reading half of the posts regarding 2.4 gig failures , it looks to me that these failures are blamed on the 2.4 gig radio.
i must say i have seen some mishaps with 2.4 gig opperators as well as 36 meg fm opperators,both have been blamed on radio problems only and not pilot era , 36 meg radio is good if you fly somewhere out back such as proserpine and the guys at the club use the frequency board pegs without forgeting to or switching on there tranny but i must say 2.4 gig is the way to go in this modern day of age , just turn up at the field and switch on and fly. a couple of minor issues with any radio set especially the cheaper 6 and 7 dx series is toss out the rx switch before you even think of flying as its no good thanks to the pc board solder facings to board compared to the good quality non pc board switch units such as the JR heavy duty types. i have been flying r/c for over 35 years with both AM and FM radios of all makes but within the last 2 years i have used 2.4 gig JR / Spectrum converted units such as both my JR 9 X and JR 12X Trannys have been fitted with the Spectrum Air Modules plus ar-7000 and ar-9000 receivers, never had the thought of a glitch. dx 6 and dx 7 trannys dont take my fancy, too cheap .
Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Freeair, so they toss out the switch and put in a good one and they'll have no more problems? Do you really want to stand behind that statement?
Most of these people have as much or more experience than you do and are convinced it's the radio system. I have one airplane on 2.4, a 80cc that I could not get to stop glitching. All my other planes are staying on my 2 Futaba 9C's and an older 8U all on 72.....

I have 40+ years of experience...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Sandmann_AU

The problem with all these people saying "I have so many years of experience with rc" is that noone has more than a few years with 2.4ghz, coz it simply wasn't around before that. Yes that experience will make you more aware of the usual "odd" faults like long extensions picking up stray signals or switches that seem ok till an engine's running etc, but it will also allow us to make assumptions that are fine under a non-digital system but cause problems under 2.4... eg: using servo reversers, signal amplifiers, or 4.8v batteries. I even had an issue once with a lost model alarm that plugged into an aileron channel - if I put a Y adapter on the alarm's output with both ailerons plugged into it the ailerons went random when the engine was running, but having the Y adapter plugged in before the alarm and only one aileron hanging off the alarm worked fine. I'm not trying to say that any of the people in this thread will have their problems solved by those examples, that's just an illustration of some of the "old tech" things that're fine till you mix them with 2.4ghz.

I have to say that although I personally have not had nor seen a problem with 2.4ghz, there seems to be a lot of evidence that something odd is going on. Not only that, but when person "x" complains of 2.4 problems, he always seems to know several others who fly with him that've had similar... while those who, like me, haven't had problems usually haven't seen anyone else have them either. Given that it's a small percentage of owners having problems, that means it's likely to either be something environmental, or something that most/all users in a given group are doing wrong (which I doubt).
Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 AM
qldviking

Freair,     you post shows just how little attention you pay to what you read and comprehend.   I am curious as to how a faulty switch will allow a set of servo's to operate after going defunct?   I mean,  switch goes poof- then ailerons go right roll, throttle opens wide, and lastly full down elevator?   wow    I must have magic servo's   dont need batteries to operate  amazing, all that time I carried batteries and didnt need them, silly me.   you say a sprektrum radio is cheap?   again you use  spektrum modules in your radios?  who is being cheap?   I bought the spektrum because I wanted a 7 channel strictly for my gliders,  I neither needed nor can justify spending big dllars for a tx that I wont ever utilise even 1/2 of it abilities.  I have the jr 10xII as well and it does all I need for all my gas planes, and I also have a jr 7202 for my glo planes, and somewhere in my collection I also have my jr 8310, hitec flash 5,  and maybe even my 1st radio, the old max4,  last time I looked at them they were all servicable too  
hmmmm   cheap radio,   cheap faulty switches and magic servo's     wow   I bet we didnt think of that combination at the time. 
Old 06-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Sandmann_AU

Actually he's close to right... a dodgy switch could still conduct well enough to fire up the plane while causing enough resistance to produce voltage drops, or intermittent drop-outs. especially with engine vibrations or if it's gotten castor oil in it (both of which're highly unlikely on a glider, I grant you. ). It's possibly worth checking, even if only to rule it out.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM
qldviking

I dont use cheap switches,  experience taught me that.  also every plane gets its switched checked for conductivity regularly, along with batteries leads etc.  My glider had just had a refit, as mentioned with all new electronic components, including switch, leads etc,  After the crsh of the glider all components were tested as far as possible and could find no issues at all, the only thing we couldnt do a thing to test was the rx, it was totalled by the battery pack.  Same for my katana, again all tested clear, and has since flown in excess of 100 flights on its old 36mhz rx and same everything else without so much as a glitch.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Sandmann_AU

Yeah well like I said a dodgy switch - though possible - was always going to be unlikely, and odds on you've since used the same switch for your 36mhz gear with no problems proving the switch sound.

You said your glider rolled right, nosed down, and went full throttle if I recall correctly? I don't suppose you had time to see if the aileron & elevator deflections were constant or "bouncing"? Not very likely given the shock you must have been going through while trying to save it. Did you ever manage to reproduce the same effect on the ground?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 AM
qldviking

yes I did, with my katana,   so went through all the rigmarol of binding etc again, and it didnt take long to get it again,  maybe 10-15 minutes of twiddling sticks,   and this was with motor off, and standing maybe 10 feet to one side.  The servo's all threw to max and stayed there solid.  Battery pack was an A123 2300mah pack running through a reg,  we had a volt meter on it as well which another guy was watching, all was well there, and that pack/reg is still working flawlessly.  we spent the best part of a weekend tryiong to figure what before we finally decided it could onl;y be a tx/rx issue.  The fact the katana is still fying happily with all the same gear apart from rx supports that
Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Sandmann_AU

I'd be tempted to say Rx, given a similar experience I had - except mine started twitching and bouncing around randomly after 10 mins or so of running. Sent it back and had it replaced under warranty - they (OReillys in South Aust) blamed humidity, said they'd seen a few do the same thing. I was lucky I found my faulty Rx on the ground.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
qldviking

O'Rielley's told me I didnt have a clue what I was talking about, they tried to tell me that they have never had any issues with any spektrum gear at all,  and I knew seceral of our club members had called the too and got told same,  so they were told quite bluntly where to shove the large order I was putting together at the time.  I now shop in the US exclusively, I get better service, and shipping is a s quick if not quicker.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Sandmann_AU

Weird.. I got really good service from them - first time I sent it in they couldn't find a problem so updated the firmware and returned it. Second time I took video of the problem, and they replaced it with a brand new one.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM
qldviking

simple really, you live in the big smoke and can easily find another hobby shop. up here its a long way to a hobby shop that deals in more than basic 40 size and smaller, even a trip to townsville was dissappointing to say the least. My smallest plane is a 1.20 ultimate and I was looking for 4-40 h'eware to upgrade, not even in townsville could I get 4-40 clevises, they had 2-56, but wass told they will do, yeah right, had 2 fail which was why I wanted to go 4-40. got home, got online and 8 days later had a nice assortment of 4=40 h'ware. I dont know know who you spoke to, last 3 times I called o'reileys I got 3 different people, and none of them had a clue, and then the last straw was with the sprektrum debacle, NEVER again will I waste time with them.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM
tony0707

HI  flying with futaba  72 for  20 years  -never a glitch-   if it ain"t broke don't fix it-  and i will stay that way -regards
Old 06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Sandmann_AU

Yep.. even here in the "big smoke" it's hard to find what you want if it's out of the ordinary... there's really only two decent shops and they're both nearly an hour's drive away. I get most of my major purchases from ebay retailers in the US, or Tower Hobbies. The whole market here in Aust is controlled by three importers and they only get in stuff they know will sell quickly.

Can't say I blame you for dumping spektrum... if I'd had your problems I probably would too.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
chevypower1930

I never have and don't really think I ever will be real interested in using spektrum or fasst systems or whatever else they have out there now haha... I've always used FM with NO PROBLEMS and I just don't think the new spektrum or whatever systems are worth all the hastles and attention to detail as to how you have to mount them, not to mention the price.. I'm using a 50 dollar USED once before me Futaba 6EXP 6 Channel radio for some of my planes including a Hangar 9 P51 Miss America and have never had a problem after 2 years flying this plane on this system... I'm also using a freaking OLD Futaba 4 channel FM radio on my fun little Avistar haha and have never had a glitch, problem, nothing, I just don't see the need for Spektrum or anything else other them FM, if you're flying at a flying site you shouldn't have to worry about radio interference..
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
evan-RCU

Of note over on the other RC forum more than a few F5D racers have recently been posting issues with Spektrum. These are people that have years of experience before Spektrum then years of experience with Spektrum as most are on the cutting edge of new technology. They also typically run their reciever systems off of high end ESCs which should never have an issue keeping a good voltage or dedicated reciever batteries that only power the radio and servos.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM
evan-RCU

Is this the switch that is not recommended? I just put one in a new glider, I wonder if Ishould take it out.... Came with a DX7...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28920.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1211872  
Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
FLYING FREDDIE
My Feedback: (15)

went to JOE NALL this year spent 5 day's of great flying with hundred's of other flyer's all with spectrum radio's great demo's were put on using this radio from 50% to park flyers. maybe what you need to do is quit whining get a real airplane like a carden yak learn how to install a radio system join an AMA sanctioned club and have the club trainer teach you the basics. Stay away from rubber tubes and gliders. 
                                      How does anyone crash a glider. !!!!!!!!

It has been my experience when people cry that the radio caused them to crash what they really meant DUMB THUMB'S
Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
evan-RCU

Rude reply...

Let me add that if the radio is not working anything can crash.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

If you have had a bad experience with your 2.4G gear I will be more than happy to take it off your hands. I can always use more!!!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
qldviking

I have a lanier 40%  edge, a carden 40% extra, several 100cc planes and numerous smaller, most kit built.   I have a number of kits coming including another lanier edge, 1/3 pup, several gliders over 150"ws as well as several 50 to 100cc kits.    I enjoy building as well as flying.   I do not enjoy opinionated clowns like you fhaddix,   I have flown on 36mhz for many years with few hassles at all untill I was stupid enough to buy spektrum.  I dont give a tinkers about who or where people have no issues,  I have no issues flying 36mhz.  The issue is there is a problem with 2.4g and spektrum  and fools like you contribute nothing except maybe some comic value when one realises how narrow and closed minded you are
Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 PM
kymont
My Feedback: (2)

Now I'm worried. I recently purchased a DX7 and converted 4 planes to Spektrum receivers. I haven't flown any of the gas planes yet, but did have an unexplained crash on the slow stick I fly around the house. It could have very well been my setup so I'll take that on me.

My question is: Should Ialso convert to all 6V receiver batteries? The DX7 shipped with a 4.8V. I'm scared to go try out my big planes now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.