Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Which full house radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:43 PM
josepy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which full house radio?

I'm thinking about purchasing an all around full house radio and am looking for some input from my soaring compatriots.

A spectrum dx7 initially seemed like the way to go, its 2.4 GHz but I've read a lot about the receivers rebooting when the power sages or they loose signal, the reboot taking anywhere from 3 to 12 seconds leaving many a plane totaled ... makes me rather nervous! Then there is the JR 9303 ... somewhere between 5 or 6 bills, my wife will most certainly have a cow if I buy this one, but I think I can survive it The other radio I've looked at is a Futaba 7C which runs somewhere between 3 and 4 bills and is another 2.4 GHz radio. I've read a bit about Futaba's having heat problems but I'm not sure if that applies to this radio, that and the receivers run about a bill a piece, don't know how small they are either. Finally there is the dirt cheap HobbyKing 2.4 GHz 6 channel radio for a wopping $32 dollars!

My goal is to buy a reliable radio that I can use with multiple electric sailplanes, and I would emphasize "sailplanes" here. If I need to spending a few more bucks to get something which will last and is reliable I'm willing to cough up the extra cash, more specifically I'm referring to the JR 9303, though I note that it is a 72Hz radio which has some real disadvantages given the advent of the 2.4 radios.

So what do you think? The 2.4 Spectrum? a Jr or a Futaba?

J.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:52 AM
likeswindinhair

Default RE: Which full house radio?

i recently bought the 9303 sailplane radio from the buy and sell on this site. i then bought the 2.4 upgrade to go along with it, and it didnt cost much more than the spectrum 7. the 7 i owend previously and expect it back some day. the 9303 is in the mail too. anyway i vote 9303 sailplane with the upgrade.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:41 AM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

Multiplex Royal Evo 9 or 12. Very versatile, you can customize it to your needs. It is lighter than a 9303. They will come out with their own 2.4 system soon, or you can use any aftermarket conversion kit to convert it to 2.4 if you would like.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 PM
sjflyer1
My Feedback: (3)

Being in the looking mode also, the Airtronics SD-10G 2.4GHz 10ch has caught my attention, seems like a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:49 AM
jooNorway

I am waiting (impatient) for the MPX 2.4 system. Should be released any moment now as joedoe said. Then one of my MPX Profies is to be converted. There is NO radioes on the marked which could compete with a Profi 4000, especially for sailplanes. If you could get your hands on a used Profi 4000 then all your needs are fulfilled. Any mixing could be done, as long as you don`t need inputs from more than 4 controls to each servo...
Graupner is also a good choice for sailplanes, but not as good as MPX. Else: look at the Robbe. FX40 could be a choice. http://www.tun.ch/product_info.php?products_id=525 I have tried one,, and I loved it. Take a look on the programming abilities for the FX30 and see if you miss something...; http://data.robbe-online.net/robbe_p...21_1-F8050.pdf

Take a look of one of the new receivers MPX is releasing any moment: http://www.multiplex-rc.de/hp/produk...sp?lfdnr=55815 Huge powerinput, no need for powerbox and so on. Did I mention telemetri?+ Man do I look forward to put some of these in my big gliders!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 AM
shootnstarz

I personally think you can't go wrong with either a JR or Futaba. 2.4 is the wave of the future but I've been flying 72mh for 30 years and have never had the first glitch, even with my old AM Kraft 7CS I had years ago. I've been flying a Futaba 9C super for several years and also never had a single issue with it and I have so many FM and PCM receivers that I'll still be flying 72mh for many years. You can find new and like new 72mh receivers for less than $50 all day long. I believe 2.4 receivers start at $80.

It all boils down to what you want and can afford. I would only suggest that you purchase either Futaba or JR for the popularity of these radios make for reasonably priced service, a multitude of accessories and the fact that others with the same set up can help you out if you need some programming assistance. Also keep in mind that your interest may change over the years and to have equipment that can keep up with your new interest would be another advantage. One of Ben Franklin's wise sayings is "We seldom regret having gotten the best" and I find this to be true in most cases.

Rick
Pensacola, FL
Old 07-05-2009, 05:17 PM
josepy

Thanks all for the valuable feed back, I'm still looking so intend to do a little more detailed research before coughing up the $

J.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 PM
CBM Racing

I've been using a hitec 7channel system since they were first released. I know it's "older" tech with 72mhz, but is easy to program, 7 model memory, and has dial a channel ease. Not sure, but I know price has come down a lot since I got one. Has shift select so you can use any rx on 72 meg frequency, all kinds of mixing available that is pretty simple to do. Never had an issue and been a rock solid performer for me, so just another option to consider.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:25 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: josepy

I'm thinking about purchasing an all around full house radio and am looking for some input from my soaring compatriots.

A spectrum dx7 initially seemed like the way to go, its 2.4 GHz but I've read a lot about the receivers rebooting when the power sages or they loose signal, the reboot taking anywhere from 3 to 12 seconds leaving many a plane totaled ... makes me rather nervous! Then there is the JR 9303 ... somewhere between 5 or 6 bills, my wife will most certainly have a cow if I buy this one, but I think I can survive it The other radio I've looked at is a Futaba 7C which runs somewhere between 3 and 4 bills and is another 2.4 GHz radio. I've read a bit about Futaba's having heat problems but I'm not sure if that applies to this radio, that and the receivers run about a bill a piece, don't know how small they are either. Finally there is the dirt cheap HobbyKing 2.4 GHz 6 channel radio for a wopping $32 dollars!

My goal is to buy a reliable radio that I can use with multiple electric sailplanes, and I would emphasize ''sailplanes'' here. If I need to spending a few more bucks to get something which will last and is reliable I'm willing to cough up the extra cash, more specifically I'm referring to the JR 9303, though I note that it is a 72Hz radio which has some real disadvantages given the advent of the 2.4 radios.

So what do you think? The 2.4 Spectrum? a Jr or a Futaba?

J.
I would not recommend the Spektrum DX7 or the Futaba 7C as a preferred full house sailplane radio. They just don't have the mixes you want and trying to create them using the p mixes is a pain.

Of the proven radios out there on 2.4 the JR X9303 is about the best and most proven of the crop. The Original 9303 on 72 MHz is VERY popular among sailplane competition pilots. The X9303 takes all that and adds model match and some other specific 2.4 features and layers that on top of the excellent sailplane programming.

Futaba 10C may be great but I have not seen many if any at any of the Eastern Soaring League events I attend. But I am sure someone has one.

Can't go wrong with the 9303.

BTW, I fly a Futaba 9C Super and am very happy with it, but if I were to upgrade it would be the 9303.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

aeajr, I am a Futaba flyer, been one since the mid 70's. The one JR I had back in the late 80's I gave away for reasons nothing to do with the radio itself.

Curious if you did go to the 9303 would you go to 2.4 or stay 72? Do you have any 2.4 now? How many receivers do you have on 72?

At this moment I have 2 Futaba 9C's, one for my wheeled airplanes and helos (30 receivers) and the other 9c for float planes (4 receivers) and a 8UAFS for gliders (5 receivers). I also have a DX-7 for a big gasser that I could never get rid of a glitch on and was given the DX-7 and various other things like the Vapor which has its own spektrum radon and a fixed pitch helo that has it's own radio but they don't really count.

The point is to convert over to 2.4 I would need 40 receivers. True I could get around 20 to start and then convert the others as I fly them but the cost is... well I don't really want to think about the cost.....

I know many glider pilots have a lot of planes for specific duties and I wondered if you fall into that category.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
josepy

Opps thought you were asking me Evan, lol
Old 07-07-2009, 02:04 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

aeajr, I am a Futaba flyer, been one since the mid 70's. The one JR I had back in the late 80's I gave away for reasons nothing to do with the radio itself.

Curious if you did go to the 9303 would you go to 2.4 or stay 72? Do you have any 2.4 now? How many receivers do you have on 72?

At this moment I have 2 Futaba 9C's, one for my wheeled airplanes and helos (30 receivers) and the other 9c for float planes (4 receivers) and a 8UAFS for gliders (5 receivers). I also have a DX-7 for a big gasser that I could never get rid of a glitch on and was given the DX-7 and various other things like the Vapor which has its own spektrum radon and a fixed pitch helo that has it's own radio but they don't really count.

The point is to convert over to 2.4 I would need 40 receivers. True I could get around 20 to start and then convert the others as I fly them but the cost is... well I don't really want to think about the cost.....

I know many glider pilots have a lot of planes for specific duties and I wondered if you fall into that category.
If I were buying a new sailplane radio today it would be the X9303.

today I have 2 Futaba 9C Supers, one on 72 mhz and one on 2.4 using a Spektrum module. ONe has a 6 model expansion card and one has a 24 model expansion card. So I can have all my planes in my 9C Super AND have back-up copies of my critical planes. I also have a spare 6 plane card.

I have two 9C Supers because I fly in sailplane competitions and want back-ups of everything. For example, I was flying a two day contest. Saturday night, heading to charge the radio I dropped it down the basement stairs and broke a LOT of stuff. So I pulled out the memory card and put it in the other 9C Super and flew the contest as if nothing had happened.

The switch over from 2.4 to 72 takes about a minute. Nothing else changes.

I have been very happy with the 9C supers. They have served me well but I feel the 9303 is a better radio. It has been VERY popular at sailplane competitions. I would go with the 2.4 today.

I have 26 planes, 14 of which are flyable at any given time. I have 3 on 2.4 and the rest on 72. Slowly moving over to 2.4. I have 3 more Spektrum receivers waiting for time to do conversions. Figure I will be all 2.4 in about 2 years.

YOU HAVE TOO MANY RADIOS. I would suggest you consolidate onto the 9Cs in the same way I have. If you like the model match on the DX7, then keep that and dump the others while there is still a market.

Drop a Spektrum module into one 9C, as I have, and you have the best of all options.

The 9C and super lacks 3 things, as I see it:

1) Spektrum module does not provide Model Match which is only available on Spektrum and JR 2.4 radios.

2) JR X9303 provides channel sequencing, so if ailerons are on 1 and 7, the radio sends them out together so they move together. 9C does not do this. I think the 10C does.

3) For certain Heli applicaitons the radio has a reputation for long latency.

None of these bother me, but the JR X9303 and Futaba 10C both are faster and do the channel sequencing. The X9303 has model match, the 10C does not.

So I am in no rush to change but if I were to change today it would be to the X9303. I would get one, and when the conversion was done I would get a second and sell off the 9C Supers.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:57 PM
evan-RCU

Thanks for the info aeajr.
I have three main radios and yes it would be nice to get it to two. My two 9C's are one super and one regular on channel 13. These are 33 planes ready to fly (one is a twin with 2 receivers) and I have programing for 3 others on these but they don't currently have receivers in them. One has expanded memory to 36 models (3 empty slots) the other to 14 models (8 empty slots). The 8U has 8 slots, 2 are empty. But it is on channel 36.

I guess my point is it would cost way too much to convert to 2.4 but it would be nice to get everything on channel 13 and just keep the two 9C's.

Question, what is model match? I do know the 9303 has true flight modes that the 9C does not that would be great.

I have not noticed latency on my helos but I am not a real stick banger.

You know rereading this I am going to get rid of the 8U and put everything on it over onto the 9C non super.... Thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 PM
aeajr

You can pick up a channel module for your 9C to change the channel. I have channel 40 as my main channel with channels 55 and 35 as my alternates to help avoid channel conflicts at contests. Both 9Cs and the 8U probably use the same channel module so you can change channels or move them around. Or just pick up a few crystals.

As you move to 2.4, that will be less of an issue.

Model match?

When you bind the Spektrum receiver to the DX7, DX6i, or the JR X9303 it records which receiver ID matches which model memory.

So, if you have the CAP232, but the radio is set for the Ultra Stick, the plane won't respond. It knows the number of the CAP232 receiver and which memory slot it matches. You can't accidentially fly off on the wrong model memory.

I could have used that once or twice.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:52 PM
tkallev

Actually, not to pick nits, the receiver stores the GUID (Global Unique Identifier) of the transmitter memory location for Model Match. From page G-18 of the XP9303 manual:

"The X9303 2.4 features patented ModelMatch technology
that prevents the operation of a model if the wrong model
memory is selected. During binding, the receiver actually
learns and remembers the specific model memory (1 thru
30) that the transmitter is currently programmed to. Later if
the incorrect model memory in the transmitter is selected
and the receiver is turned on, the model simply won’t
operate, preventing a possible crash. Change programming
to the correct model memory and you’re set to fly."

tk
Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 PM
evan-RCU

Yes the 7U, 8U, 9C and 10C all use the same module. I have 2 13's and 2 36's which are what I have everything on except gliders. I would put the gliders on 13 too so I don't have to swap modules.

I know about this "model match" now that you describe it with my DX-7. Does the 72MHZ 9303 have this? I would assume not, only the 2.4 version?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
aeajr

Model Match is unique to DSM2 Spektrum/JR radios. Not available on 72.

TK,

Thanks for the clarification on how model match works.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 AM
evan-RCU

Does the Futaba FASST system have it or if you put the Spektrum module in a Futaba transmitter? Maybe something similar?

Good info, thanks!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Does the Futaba FASST system have it or if you put the Spektrum module in a Futaba transmitter? Maybe something similar?

Good info, thanks!
As stated above, Model Match is unique to Spektrum/JR radios. The modules do not provide this feature. As far as I know no one has anything like it.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
tkallev

[/quote]

As stated above, Model Match is unique to Spektrum/JR radios. The modules do not provide this feature. As far as I know no one has anything like it.
[/quote]

Correct! One of the primary reasons I recommend JR to my buds who are sniffing around the 2.4 conversion. I have seen MM save a number of planes in the last year.

tk
Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: josepy

Thanks all for the valuable feed back, I'm still looking so intend to do a little more detailed research before coughing up the $

J.
Any decisions yet?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 PM
josepy

No decision yet, stalling, debating, comtemplating.

If I'm going to spend a few bills I'd like to go 2.4 at this stage of the game.

For the most part the JR XP9303 gets the most votes and if I had money to burn I'd buy it.
I've been looking at the SD 10G which comes in at around 5 bills. I might be able to justify that.
The Aurora 9 is suppose to be coming out at the end of August so I will probably take a look at that also.

I may just sit on the decision until next spring, winter isn't but a few months off here

J.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
isoar
My Feedback: (1)

My vote for Airtronics SD10G FHSS. They have leapfroged the 9303 in capability, are cheaper, and it does not have the brownout and lockout problems of JR's bleeding edge, rushed to market, design. Many in my area including me have seen or had one too many JR planes crash and are moving to Futaba or Airtronics.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:37 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second airtronics/sanwa, I've flown jr,futaba, and hitec, even my RD8000 and rds 8000 are so much easier to use and program than all of the others I used. Plus the recievers are cheap and they will still operate the recievers all the way down to 2 volts, so no brown out or midair lock-ups. Not that your servos would work at that voltage but it's a piece of mind trait. I use to consider airtronics inferior, but now that I tried it, I'm happy with it. Go for the new 10, and never look at upgrading anything for a long while.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey if you really want your wife to have a cow u better go 1 step better and get yourself a JR 12X.[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.