Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Velcro tug system!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 AM
bassfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velcro tug system!

Hi Ya'll,
Need your help asap. [sm=drowning.gif]
I have a Hanger 9 Pipeer Pawnee 40 arf with a Saito .82. Plane flys fantastic. She is a thing of beauty, but, it's time for her to go to work. I want to use her as a "TUG" for the club members gliders.
My idea is to use a "Velcro" tow line. Anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to do this? Is it a possibility. Need your input.idea's,plans, etc.
Thanks,
>>>-> Bassfish [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 AM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: Velcro tug system!

we have done that when towing Easygliders. Put a 1" long piece of Velcro under the nose of your glider. Tie a 1/2" piece of Velcro to the end of the tow line. When towing follow these recommendations: http://iflytailies.jimdo.com/aerotowing.php

To release, slow down the tug, put the glider in a dive, then pull up elevator on the glider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqLStTSaz8

Would only recommend using Velcro for smaller gliders!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 AM
bassfish

Hi Ya , Thanks for the info.
Question; What part of the velcro go's on the glider, male or female? [sm=72_72.gif]
Also , how long should the line be?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 AM
bassfish

Me again. In your reply you stated to "put the glider in a dive, then put up elevator on the glider. Did you mean to say "put the tug in a dive, then up on the glider
[sm=71_71.gif]
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 AM
iflytailies

it doesn't matter whether you put male or female on the glider. Just make sure you tell your buddies what you have on your tow line so they know which side they should glue to their gliders.
When ready to release, slow down the tug, fly level or just slightly downward. The glider will be able to pick up speed by putting the nose of the glider down (really force the nose down!). This way, you will get a little slack in your tow line. Then, suddenly pull up-elevator on your glider and you should be able to release. If the system does not release, reduce the length of the Velcro on the tow line by a little bit and try again. On the easy glider I think we just needed 1/4" of the Velcro to stick together. Play around with it, and you will learn how much Velcro length you will need
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 AM
iflytailies

the length of the line should be at least 60feet for an Easyglider, but no longer than 90feet. Do not use Velcro on big gliders, you need a release then!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:56 AM
bassfish

So much thank to you Sir! [sm=teeth_smile.gif] I'll give it a try.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:03 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

put a square inch of each on oposite sides ...your covered I read NOT more than a square inch or it will stay put.....the guys that figured this out must have had some fun landings still on the tow line

the only disadvantage is no abilty to release when down low
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64333.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1242083  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:24 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got over 10 kinds of velcro. They all take different force to pull apart. Which one would work best?

What do you do if you need an emergency release? Say the tow plane's engine falters on take off.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 AM
iflytailies

At least on the tow plane side you should have a mechanical release so you can release the tow line when necessary! The Multiplex Mentor and Magister both come with releases. You can also buy some simple releases here: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/aero-tow_...hQueryId=96053

If you ever choose to install a release on a glider, go with the bigger diameter. Otherwise, it will be a hassle to feed the tow line into the release!
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/2_glider-...hQueryId=96053

If you choose to use Velcro on your tow plane as well (which I would not recommend at all), you will have to hope for the best if you need to do an emergency landing unless you are able to snap the Velcro off as I have described before.
If you have different kinds of Velcro you need to try out how much Velcro area you need to cover. Start with a smaller area and work your way to more area. If it is too small, it will release at the beginning of the tow on the ground (tow plane needs to overcome the friction of the glider on the ground). Then, just cover a little more Velcro area. If it snaps off again, cover more again until it does not snap off while picking up speed on the ground.