Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Covering Foam Wing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
phippsj
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Foam Wing?

I put together a Combat Wing XR glider and covered it with Oracoat/Ultracoat, spraying all surfaces with 3M 77 before ironing on the covering and hitting it with a heat gun.

This thing looks like the wrinkled hide on an elephant's rearend! I'm ready to trash it and start over.

I build the powered version of the Combat Wing about 6 years ago and used the same spray adhesive and covering and that thing was mostly smooth with just a few wrinkles. Nothing that a covering iron couldn't restore to new condition.

Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 PM
CBM Racing

Default RE: Covering Foam Wing?

Not sure on what happened there, as I often cover pink foam wings with oracover and ultracoat with no problems like that. But, I don't use any extra adhesives or a heat gun. I find that on pink foam, the adhesive backing on the covering is plenty for holding it down tight, and a heatgun suddenly melts the foam underneath without warning. So, now I just iron it on with a medium setting and pulling a lot as I go to reduce wrinkles. Few wrinkles and no melted flat spots, any remaining wrinkles I usually can iron out with higher heat and don't stop the iron in one spot at all. Not sure how the foams differ in heat resistance, so maybe this will help I hope. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 AM
phippsj
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Covering Foam Wing?

Yes, I think I messed up using the heat gun. I found that the thin trailing edge is now warped and there are a couple of other places that melted. The wing I covered before used only a covering iron. I also think I put on too thick of a coat of 3M 77.

Got in a hurry and didn't take my time.