Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

How many channels shall I need?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

How many channels shall I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM
hon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many channels shall I need?

I am a beginner in RC looking at buying my first RC transmitter for sailplanes. I want to buy the set that I can use for future models should I progress. Will 9-channel transmitters enough for models in F3F and scale models? Shall I need more than 9 channels?

Thank you.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How many channels shall I need?

6 Channels is plenty good.
By the time u need more than 6 your transmitter could be outdated. Next step would be 8. I would reserve that for scale models with several features.

One step at a time.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
jooNorway

I fly a lot of large scale sailplanes and F3F. Those are the models which really need a lot of channels. 9 ch TX would do the job, but you need good mixing abilities and the ability to use flightphases.
Standard airplanes don`t need half as much computerpower etc as big sailplanes
For example I have 11 servoes in a DG600 in addition to vario-control. Use modes for tow, normal flight, thermalling, acro and landing just to mention... Use 8 channels on TX.
If I do add waterballast I suddenly need the 9`th channel.
For F3F less channels are required, but you would propably want to have at least 3 modes available and be able to mix thermal, speed, kickflap and crowmix at least.

Since you are a beginner it might be a huge step to buy an expensive state of the art radio, but if you plan to go for big scalies I know a cheap radio won`t do the job over time.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:08 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You pay more if you buy twice.

If you're going to make a commitment to the hobby get the best radio you can afford and still get the rest of the equipment you want.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 PM
hon

Thank you guys for all of your valuable inputs. I am thinking of getting the right equipment first time. I am looking at the Multiplex Royal Pro 7 or the Pro 9 radio sets. Looks like the 7-channel one is a bit restrictive. So I will be OK for a good long time if I go for the Pro 9 radio, is that right?

Thank you again.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Choosing a sailplane Radio
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223

The above article may be helpful.  You will find that the issue is not the number of channels but the mixing software.   Typically the mixes you will want will have 8 or more channels.

As for the number of channels, channels are like closets, you never have enough.  But 9 is probably a good target.

I have a scale glider that uses 7 channels.  I could easily get it up to 10.   Until you list out what you want to control, you can't say how many channels you need.  

Old 07-02-2010, 03:02 AM
jooNorway

Lot of good info in the article from aeajr (as usual )
I have used MPX-radios since the first Profi were delivered. I still use Profies for scalies, 3030 and 4000. Those radioes might not be available in US? When at tow-meetings there are only two brands in use in Norway: MPX and Graupner. The MPX Profies have free mixing. And this mean FREE. Even if you use only 8 channels trom the TX you can program 12 (or more) RX-channels together. Anything can be mixed as you want. An other reason for choosing a big (float)radio which can be used in a tray with good crosstraps is you don`t have to hang the radio around the neck, everything rest on shoulders allowing you to stay in thermals for several hours without having to land because of pain in the neck.
If you look at Royal EVO 7/9 go for the 9 at once. It have a lot more mixing than the 7ch, which is more restrictive as you said. I have never used those radioes myself...

Take a look at MPX receivers for 2,4. The huge ones have huge powercontacts, suited for a lot of servoes without using powerboxes which costs. Using a bit expencive receivers could be cheaper in the long run
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Typical channel count:

Rudder - 1
Elevator 1 or 2
Ailerons - 1 or 2
Tip ailerons 0-2 ( can be tied to main ailerons)
Flaps - 1 or 2
Spoilers/airbrakes 1 or 2
Tow release - 1
Landing Gear - 1
Motor - 1

If you had all of these, that could be 8 or it could be 14

Then we have smoke, lights, drop doors, canopy, Other special effects. That could add4-6 morefor a total of 20..

Some of the special features can be handled by channel sequencers. One channel controls several items in sequence. So it might be canopy, then lights, then smoke, then bomb door, then .... You get the idea. 4 or more items controlled by one channel, in sequence.

In some cases where pilots have really tricked out a scale plane, there is a co-pilot.One flies the plane and one who operates the special features. This calls for two radios and two receiver systems. But when the count gets high enough it can become too expensive to put it all on one radio and too complex for the pilot to handle. So having a co-pilot can be a good thing.

So you could have avery feature rich 9 channel optimized for flying, and a simpler6 channel handling everything at a much loser cost than a 14 channel. The

Old 07-03-2010, 04:06 AM
jooNorway

Don`t forget wheelbrakes (pretty common) and dropping of waterballast. Vario-control is a must.
But a good 9ch which have several modes availavle help a lot, then channels have different functions depending on which part of the flight you are in.
On the other hand; if we got 30ch radioes someone could propably use every function on such a gadget too