Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Craft air gliders, were are they?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Craft air gliders, were are they?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Craft air gliders, were are they?

Turns out to be a Viking -
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 AM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Drifter II that I need to build. Has anyone used the power pod on theirs? I'm thinking of using a D-C Sabre diesel to get it up to altitude.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
LovesToSail

Just a suggestion.... Go electric - it will weigh possibly a little more which is not a bad thing and you will never have to worry about making the diesel fuel, starting, the cleanup/residue. Electric is SO effiicient now that I have coverted every single sailplane over to it. I use motors that cost less than $20, speed controllers that cost same and batteries. I have a gentle lady that I have trained many people on this summer and it actually has an expensive $17 motor on it

Scot
Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM
juggler-3310

RDJeff, I agree completely with LovesToSail - go electric. I built the power pod for my Drifter II years ago per the design on the plans, and it does work, but barely. An .049 will very slowly allow the plane to climb, but the air resistance that it creates once the motor shuts off severely lowers the ability of this plane to thermal. So I cut off the nose of my Drifter II and installed a Blue Wonder motor from HobbyKing with a foilding propeller. It works beautifully, and the overall weight of the plane is lower than it was when it was originally set up for a high start. I can climb to altitude 4 or 5 times on a single 1000 mAh LiPo battery, and the plane is a real joy to fly. I can post pictures of how I did the electric conversion if you would like to see them.

juggler
Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason I'm looking at the diesel is that I own a bunch of them, and have plenty of fuel ingredients on-hand. this will be kind of an old-school exercise for me. I appreciate the suggestion, but want to stick with my diesels.