Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

trex 700e 3g

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 AM
smoochmyhoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trex 700e 3g

new to choppers... raced cars for 30 years or so so i have a pretty good understanding of general stuff. hears my problem. i'm getting a trex 700e 3g... ya i know... a little lofty for a beginner... anyways here is my boggle. the servos, reciever,esc. should i run a separate reciever pack or use a beck system? which works best. if i do use beck how do i distribute the power to the receiver ect. do i need some sort of regulator in either case? i'm a bit confused. also do i need a lipo cut off system like i do with the cars? is there a speed control that has everything i'm looking for?if someone out there could clue me in about what the best way to aproach this would be i would be greatfull.

here is what i'm looking at so far:

T-Rex 700e 3G combo kit
Futaba 10cg hello 2.5g radio
casle ice 125 esc(unless someone can direct me to a better one)

thanks\

dave
Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 AM
dooleyje

Default RE: trex 700e 3g

The Ice 125 I assume it is a HV version so you can use 12 cell lipo. Does not have a bec. Castle makes a grand 20a bec that you run from your battery pack through a seperate power lead. I have used this with great success. Some use a seperate 7.4 lipo in say a 2500mah range for the receiver and use the Spektrum 7100 receiver which has built in step downs. If you use the Align servos they will run on 6V. Some tail servos such as the Futaba's need to be regulated down to 5.1v. Align makes ma tiny 5.1 step down that plugs in line with the servo for the tail and is about 7 bucks. I found the 20a bec from Castle was a better choice. The extra battery is only adding more weight. The bec is programmable via a usb link. At any rate 6V is the max for most servos unless you use specialty servos such as Outrage or HV JR servos. No you do not need a cut off. The esc will have it built in and is programmable.

As a beginner I would suggest that you invest in a simulater and practice on it before you attempt the 700. Get with someone in your area that has a 700 and can help you set it up.

That is a great helicopter and I know you will enjoy it.

Jim
Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave:

Did you ever get the TRex?

I'm new to helis, also, after years of flying fixed wing. I learned to hover and fly around on a 450 size electric and a simulator. The 450 is just too small to see well, tho, so I'm going to get a TRex 700E F3C in January. The F3C is super stable, being designed for precision competition.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 PM
helicub81

Thats great you got a large heli! I started off on like the 450 sized ones and i got a 600 a while back and i'm still scared to fly that thing. I'd imagine that if you are starting out with a 700, you'll wouldn't have that apprehension.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Mustang Fever

I changed my mind. I've been working with the simulator a lot, and I've concluded I just don't enjoy flying helis. Too stressful. I'm going to stick with fixed wing.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 AM
TheMonkMan

It's the difficulty of flying a heli that makes us want to do it. ;-) Something that takes some learning, getting used to and skill. Your choice, but I'm pretty sure that once you got the hang of it, you'll be way more satisfied having flown a TREX 700 than a fixed winged aircraft. :-P Just my point of view.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Mustang Fever

You're probably right. I think I'm going to work on the simulator for the next year, and then maybe take another look at the 700.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Mustang Fever

Well, after a lot of indecision on my part, the wife offered to kick in more than half the price of the 700E F3C, and it's sitting in the spare bedroom, waiting for Christmas day. (I'm not allowed to go in there.)

I've been working out a lot on the PRE-Flight simulator, using their T Rex 600.

Wish me luck.