Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Beginner - Simulator Worth it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginner - Simulator Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 AM
mdemetri2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner - Simulator Worth it?

Hi All

I am considering getting into RC helicopters and looking at Honey Bee CP3 which will apparently provide a stable platform for beginner and when / if I get there some aerobatics as its 3D capable. Any comments on this Heli please let me know.

What I want to know is before I plough any money into getting the kit which I am some months off buying, should I in the meantime invest in a flight simulator and USB radio? They do seem to range in price from £20 to £100+ but wondered what people thought and if you had experience of RC Helimaster specifically?

Cheers in advance.
Demetri
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM
ICrashFast

Default RE: Beginner - Simulator Worth it?

I have heard nothing but good things about the simulators... I my self and new as well, and will be starting off with a 4 ch... just not sure which one yet. I as well will be getting the beginner kit that goes underneath ANDthe simulator!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:14 PM
bluefox89

So mdemetri2, I don't have yet a RC Simulator, because I didn't buy either the RC Heli. But the Simulator is a good investment. I know that the good ones like Real Flight and Phoenix are expensive. If you continue in this hobby for a long time and if you have enough money, don't think twice. Getting the Simulator you'll improve your skills, training maneuvers, and get experience of it.
More than this, you'll save money, coz your heli 'll not crash many times.

And for the future, you can pratice for 3D stuffs, and get planes too. I'll get the Phoenix, its about U$ 129,00 without the radio. It's cheaper than the Real Flight that costs U$200,00. People say that the reality of the Phoenix is much better. I hope so.

Good purchase!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 AM
Charlie

Simulators are worth their weight in gold, they will save you a lot of money in
the long run, but you have to use it as a tool for learning, not as a game.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:31 AM
lje553
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sim may seem like a great deal of money but wait till you have a hard crash. It can easily cost more than the sim did. If you practice your rear off on the sim you will save the cost of the sim several times over.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 AM
willlig756

I learned the hard way.. Lets just say that $200.00 on a good flight sim will pay for its self in no time and save tons of hours of fixing your heli. I do not recommend the hb cp 3. Ihave this heli and no matter what Ido Iam always chasing the tail and that is no way to learn how to fly. Stay away from the ones with tail motors. Find a decent priced 450 size heli that has a belt of shaft driven tail rotor and someone willing to help you learn to set up and fly. But even if you dont have anyone to help, a flight sim is a definate plus..
Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Moontan13

ORIGINAL: Charlie

Simulators are worth their weight in gold, they will save you a lot of money in
the long run, but you have to use it as a tool for learning, not as a game.
X2
However it can still be fun. Between hover training sessions, I like to go all out in heli mode and screw around with other model and planes. Good times!

Realize though, that the real Tx you use can be your SIM Tx as well. Phoenix has a version that includes a Spektrum DX5 Tx. RealFlight has a version that includes a trainer box that does not work as a real Tx.
While I have several inexpensive Txs that I coulld use, I prefer the one I plan to fly with, a Futaba 7C.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use heliproz for everything I own...they are great. Most of your questions have been answered already...but let me add that getting a coaxial will only allow you to fly indoors(in theory a large coaxial could be flown outdoors I guess with no wind)....so a smaller heli like the mCX is probably better for indoor practice. If you do plan to fly outdoors...I think you will probably get bored pretty fast with a coaxial heli.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:45 PM
mdemetri2

Ok folks, I took the plunge today and bought Phoenix 2.5 with the transmitter, should arrive next week.

I have now created a new post to find out what beginners heli people suggest.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:45 PM
DPete

I ordered one today also except I already have a DX6i so didn't need the radio