Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

fixed pitch or coaxial?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

fixed pitch or coaxial?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
exiged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed pitch or coaxial?

Hi,

I used to run RC cars and buggies but have had a break for a couple of years.Im looking to get into helis (never flown planes or helis before) so wondered if anyone had any input on which would be best for me out of coaxial or fixed pitch.Id be looking up to £150 and would prefer a well established make so i can get parts easily.thanks.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fixed pitch or coaxial?

I found the coaxial type of helis to be good stable trainer helis, unfortunately this really limits their performance so I think most people get bored with them very quickly.

I have the Evolution 180 FP heli and have found it to be almost as stable as a coaxial in hover etc. so it also makes a great trainer, but due to the more positive cyclic response, it will keep your interest and teach you more in the long term. This more accurate and positive syclic also gives it far better outdoor capabilities then you will find with a coaxial heli.

A change from a good FP heli like teh Evo 180 would only be in the offing, once you want to progress into inverted types of aerobatics.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM
jsngnn22
My Feedback: (26)

This is an interesting question that I would like an anwer to as well. I think it all has to do with what you ant out of the hobby itself. I have been dabbling with airplanes now for about a year, but just got into helis a week ago. I went with the blade cx2 to learn on. At this point, the only thing i really want out of flying helis is arial photography. I have absolutely no interest in 3D flying, I just want a very easy smooth flight that I can fly around, and get some good video. That being said, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but if anybody has any recomendations on a good heli, I would assume FP to upgrade to from the cx2, I would appreciate it.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 AM
exiged

How dyou find the CX2?.Ive been looking at either that or the MCX2 but not sure if theres any difference apart from the size...
Old 12-04-2010, 03:52 AM
exiged

Thanks for the info.

Is there a lot more setting up and adjustment to be done on a FP heli?.All im worried about with those is jumping in too deep and it putting me off.As far as hovering goes,are they much harder than coaxials?,thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 AM
jsngnn22
My Feedback: (26)

I love the cx2, everybody I talked to said to go with the cx2 over the mcx2, for the sole purpose that it is bigger. I have never flown the mcx2, but from what ive been told, it really is just a size preferance between the two. The only thing ill say is i recomend having at least a 2car garage if you get the cx2 starting out. I've had mine a little over a week, and im just now getting comfortable enough to fly it in the house and avoid the obstacles. If you're limited on space the mcx2 might be a better choice. It may just be that im a klutz, and it took me longer to get the hang of it though, lol.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Century Evo 180, I just charged the Lipo for the heli, installed 8 AA cells in the TX and went flying!