Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Unlevel Hovering

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 PM
183AMMO
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlevel Hovering

Hi All,

I have a Blade SR. it seems to fly pretty good other than when I get it to a steady hover it is tilted to the right as looking at it from behind. Is there an adjustment in the heli that I can change to make it hover level?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Unlevel Hovering

Is it stationary when hovering "unlevel"? If it is stationary, why do you think there is something wrong?

Go back to your high school physics days. For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. The main rotor is keeping gravity in check, and the tail rotor is keeping the torque in check. Well not really. The tail rotor is also producing thrust that has to be balanced by the main rotor.

ALL HELICOPTERS HOVER TILTED TO ONE SIDE. Do a search on all the rc helicopter forums and you will find out that the question is asked several times a year.

Rafael
Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 PM
183AMMO

It is tilted quite a bit. I was just wondering. I have a couple of friends that have the same heli and they all differ in how much they are tilted in a stead hover. One of them barely tilts and mine tilts the most out of the three. That is why I was wandering?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: 183AMMO

Hi All,

I have a Blade SR. it seems to fly pretty good other than when I get it to a steady hover it is tilted to the right as looking at it from behind. Is there an adjustment in the heli that I can change to make it hover level?

Thanks
This is totally normal.. every helicopter does it.. even the real ones..

In an AS350 you land right skid first and in a Bell 206 Jet Ranger you land left skid first (as the main rotors rotate in different directions on these two helis and the tail rotor is on opposite sides)

Its is just physics balancing the side thrust of the Tail Rotor as Rafael correctly said.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 AM
183AMMO

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
desertblade400

I don't know your heli but if it is tilting far more than your friend's maybe your swashplate needs to be leveled. Just a thought.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: desertblade400

I don't know your heli but if it is tilting far more than your friend's maybe your swashplate needs to be leveled. Just a thought.
Read his messages again. He says that his helicopter is stationary. If the swashplate was not level, then the heli would not be stationary.

Now since you made me read the messages one more time, I have another probable cause of the difference in the "lean angle" between two similar helicopters in stationary hover. The difference would be CG location.

Rafael
Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: desertblade400

Read his messages again. He says that his helicopter is stationary. If the swashplate was not level, then the heli would not be stationary.

Now since you made me read the messages one more time, I have another probable cause of the difference in the "lean angle" between two similar helicopters in stationary hover. The difference would be CG location.

Rafael
Yes and another reason why several similiar helicopters (Blade SR) could all lean at different angles..

The motor / Pitch variations..

Eg one model might be hovering with 1800 Rpm and 5 degrees of pitch

The other might be using 2000 rpm and 4 degrees of pitch..

It each case there would be a difference in the torque turning the rotors, therefore requiring different power from the tail rotor and that in turn would lead to more or less lean to compensate...

In Idle up on the SR you can trim the RPM with the small knob on the top of the transmitter.. if these were in different positions between helis it would easily explain the different leaning..
Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM
chineyrasta

183AMMO, As the other fellows correctly stated, the dynamics that makes all heli remain airbourne is somewhat confusing. As you already know there is a natural tendency for the heli to yaw (turn about main rotor axis) opposite to the rotational direction of the main rotor, to counteract this, the tail, anti-torque rotor keep things in order. In the case of the mSR, viewed for the top, the main rotor rotates clockwise, therefore to heli wants to rotate counter-clockwise, to counter this the tail rotor produces thrust to the right, but then this causes the entire heli to want to drift to the left, so, now to counter this, if you look at the mSR from the rear you will notice that the main rotor shaft is angles a few degrees to the right of vertical, which biases the main rotor thrust to the left again, now that's what causes your mSR to hover cock-eyed, you might even notice that it makes turns in one direction better than the other. As in real helis, no two aircraft will fly exactly alike and that's even more so in tiny models like the mSR, due to material and manufacturing inconsistencies. Remember that the FAA regulates the quality control of real helis, unfortunately not models. There aren't a lot of adjustments you can make on the mSR other than messing with the servo-to-swashplate push rod lengths a bit and if your helis is flying well without any hovering problems (like toilet-bowling), then fooling with the rigging can make things much worst, take my advise and just enjoy it. Plus, if I may take the liberty of looking into my crystal ball; you will be outgrowing the mSR in the near future and stepping up a more advance, collective pitch machine anyway.