Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Flew my MSR for the firt time... Gaaa!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Flew my MSR for the firt time... Gaaa!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM
JustHover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew my MSR for the firt time... Gaaa!

I have been flying an MCX and MCX2's for a couple weeks now and am able to fly using throttle, rudder and elevator. This is a major accomplishment for me. I actually have 4 heli's set up in my DX6i. I can take an MCXx out of the box, hover and set trims and fly in one shot. It's just that easy...

Enter the MSR. I already know you must lift off to get away from the ground effects. My first attempts to lift and hover, the guy shoots off to the left. I trim and retry many times and start to make progress. I actually hover for a few seconds a few times. But when I try to just hover... making position changes does not seem to work correctly. I was able to move to the sides and back up a bit, but going forward was another story. At one point I had the guy full stick forward and it was skating backwards very fast. It's just unwieldy. I tried restarting both the heli and the DX6i a few times with no change.

I also noticed rotating caused significant altitude changes. Is this normal? My area was only 10' x 10' with 8' ceilings. A bit tight for a beginner. Any advice at all for a beginner? For example is it just a known given fact that rotating this guy requires throttle changes? Is there anyplace I could go to read about this? I just don't know if the bird is well or not.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:33 PM
trickdriller

Default RE: Flew my MSR for the firt time... Gaaa!

When it comes to rotating, go take a look at videos of guys doing that. It will change elevation on you if you do it fast enough. Perfectly normal.

As for the forward imput, the MSR has a flybar that makes it want to hover I believe. So it will fight you in going forward. Try moving forward a little quicker and see if that changes anything. It should move forward but want to level itself out soon after it gets going.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 AM
JustHover

Hahaha I got it!!!

Two things...

I changed the throws from 60% throw and 15% exponential to 75% throw and 25% exp.

My flight attempts were in a 10' x 12' x 8' room. I went to a buddies house, larger room about 18' x 20' x 12'! It appeasrs there was too much ground effects in the smaller room for me to deal with, and the limited throws wasn't giving me the response needed to correct.

I flew the thing for real... Liftoff, spin, gradual turns, cyclic moves, landed no crashes! My buddy was flying his MCX2 and was asking me questions... I'm like, I can't think... I'm flying this thing! LOL

I also found a little right aileron when lifting off corrects foir the inherent pull to the left on lift off. 8)

Funny thing is he has a T-Rex that once it's been off the ground has never made it back without crashing. He got me into this... He has an MSR and is afraid to fly it. LOL

I just kept saying, "I can't believe I'm flying this thing!" lol
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Druthu

JustHover....
Do you think a beginner could skip the MCX and go right to the MSR...
From your own experience....what do you think?

Thanks,
D.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
jaykt85

My buddy watched me learn on the mcx and jumped straight to the 120sr after watching me fly it. Personally I think the 120 is a better plane to learn on since it is very stable and is more survivable in a crash (breakaway blades FTW) the only thing that i feel is better about the mcx is the battery location. One good smack on the nose and you could potentially ruin your 120sr or msr battery.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 AM
twoslick2

I have a msr that has developed a tail twitch. It still will hover . Everything seems to be connected as it should be but it still shakes. Anybody else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 AM
JustHover

ORIGINAL: Druthu

JustHover....

Thanks,
D.
Hard to say... It would be easier to learn the MSR after flying the MCX's. But I enjoy flying my MCX and MCX2 a lot. But if money is tight I suppose just getting the MSR would be ok.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Druthu...I have a mSR and I would never get a coaxial heli if my intention was to eventually go to a collective pitch heli. A complete beginner can easily learn on an mSR in my opinion. I have let many people "try" my mSR that have never even seen a rc helicopter before and they were able to hover. Mine has crashed into walls, furniture, fallen onto concrete floors....and I have never broken anything on it. Maybe I am just lucky...but either way it is very durable and a great indoor heli to learn orientations on. Fly over carpet...shut the throttle down if you think you are going to crash and you will spend many hours of fun learning this great hobby.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM
iRabb

ORIGINAL: Druthu

JustHover....

Thanks,
D.
You might be interested in my post and the responses it gets, if any, on the fact that I think I learned somethings I have to unlearn on the mcx2. That's basically the subject line of the thread.

Ben

Old 01-23-2011, 04:41 PM
JMHZ2401

I recently started flying a heli. I have never flown a RC before, just RC offroad. I bought a MSR, and since having it since the day after Xmas I can hover, land, fly from room to room. I still have a long way to go, but it can be done on a MSR.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
towfella

I totally agree i am new to rc and bought a sr and a msr  i also bought a sim and worked at it for a day then transitioned to the msr and after a new set of blade grips and landing gear i am now able to fly the basics much more to learn .So far i am loving it when i bought my msr the guy at the L.H.S told me i wont even get off the fround well then its a challenge .lol i think that the whole idea of co axial first is a money grab dont get me wrong it servrs it purpose for those who are fine with that level of flying as opposed to those who want to progress thru the hobby to what ever level they are comfy with .