Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

beginner heli

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
phatom77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner heli

Hello
I am looking for a good beginner elect heli
what would you all recommand ?
I was looking at align 500
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KX017014

thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Mack66

Default RE: beginner heli

A fellow pilot at our club started with one of these. Seemed to be doing okay with it, but then switched to a Hirobo SDX .50 nitro. Sounds odd, I know but the reason was simple. For some odd reason, the T-Rex 500's are very popular in the greater Houston area. Therefore, he had to stock up on parts or find himself waiting a couple weeks for mail ordered parts to show up. One of our members is an Hirobo dealer and generally carries parts in his car when he comes to the field and he's there most of the time the rest of us are.

The moral to the story is be sure that repair parts are readily available. And by the way, bigger is better when you're learning it also puts you in a place where people are there to help you because you pretty much need to join a club for a place to fly.

Mack
Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Beachcomber

I realize there are some folks who will tell you that a 500 size heli is good for beginners. I say that's way too big for any beginner, no matter how fast a learner you are.

Here's the problem. Even if you have someone to help you set it up and learn to fly it, the chances of some minor tip-overs or outright crashes are high for a beginner. The larger the heli, the more damage it does to itself, people and property if it crashes. Smaller helis can sometimes have minor crashes with no damage, which reduces the frustration factor. It's that frustration factor that causes many beginners to give up this wonderful hobby.

I say you have a better chance of mastering the basic hover and staying in this hobby, if you start with a smaller FP (fixed pitch) heli.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Chucksolo69

If you are a rank beginner and have never flown an electric helicopter before, I would suggest you get a good quality coaxial helicopter first. Why, because I think a beginner needs to learn the basics, especially how to deftly handle the control sticks with a very light touch and slight movements. Helicopters with tail rotors are hard to fly because of the extra left hand thrust which accompanies all tail rotor equipped helicopters. One need only read the posts of frustrated beginners who can't get their models off the ground because of this. Most panic when the helicopter skates sideways when they power it up and tips over not realizing that you have to compensate for the sideways thrust. Once you master a coaxial helicopter and can zoom around your living room with abandon, then I would suggest a mico helicopter like the Blade mSR, a single blade, fixed pitch model. My first really serious try at electric model helicopters was with a "Saber" helicopter from Hobby People. Inever got it off the ground because of the reasons mentioned above. I discoveredfthe Blade CX and then went to the mCX and now fly the Blade mSR and the Blade 120 SR with no problem. My next step will be a helicopter with collective pitchlike the Blade 400 CP. Learn to walk before you learn to run.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I think thats a great trainer heli.

Unlike airplanes, any helicopter can be setup mild or wild depending on blade, paddle, and control setup choices. A set of training sticks prevents most tip overs. A simulator will be about the cost of an electric cheapo and you'll get a lot more milage out of it.

Bigger helis are more stable to fly, easier to see, and easier to work on.

Different strokes and all that but don't be afraid to start big and save the cost if incrementally stepping up when there's really no need.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Iagree with Barracuda....but everyone has a different learning curve. Only thing I would add is....I would'nt start with a coaxial for the simple reason that you can get an mSR to practice with indoors that is SUPER durable.....you will definately learn to hover...forward and backward flight....all the different orientations....and if you crash a few times learning...no big deal... my mSR has crashed 50 times the last year while letting friends "try" heli's and Ihave never had to replace anything...it's that durable. The key with starting with a heli like the Trex 500 is putting training gear on it to help with those tip overs...rough landings when learning to hover. You would be surprised at how helpful they are. Just one guy's opinion though....Istarted with a Raptor 50 and it has been a great starter for me.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yeah...let me add......all those people that crashed that mSR were hovering after a few flights. The mSR is that easy....so to me....getting a coaxial would just boring after a while.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
JasonJay43537

I also agree with barracuda........mostly. I have flown everything from an mSr to a Trex 700e and they all have pluses and minuses. I suppose the best place to start is asking what you see yourself doing in the sport and what your budget dictates.

I can say from personal experience that I did the "starting off slow" bit to see if I would enjoy it. I would outgrow a heli and set my sights on the next best model. The one thing I did not do was to buy a GOOD simulator until a few months after starting. I got my nephew started in RC and the first place we went was to get a good sim. I have phoenix, Re-Flex and Real Flight. Without a doubt Phenix is the best as far as graphics, physics and ease of installation. Re-Flex comes in a close second, but unfortunately you can only run windows XP and nothing newer. Real flight is the most promoted flight sim and has alot of different models, but I don't care at all for the graphics, physics or controller.

You should buy as big as your budget allows, but know that some makes and models are kinder to beginners than others. If you can afford it the Pantera with electric conversion is an awesome larger scale (50 er 600?) that you can build for a beginner and then modify later as your skill develops.It's relatively cheap when comparing like helis andit's one model that you would have a really good start with. John Beech, the designer is also very good with helping new pilots via emailand the parts are cheap online. The body is molded fiber reinforced plastic, but it is very strong.Part for part my repair bill for a pantera isfar cheaper (like as in less than 1/4)than any align model. Of course this is atrue kit and you will have to buy your motor, esc, batteries, radio,servos, etc.You can find it here at www.genisishobby.com

Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
reelquick

I agree wit B Cuda and I am a newbie teaching my self. I have a Raptor 50 an have crashed 2 x. I believe the bigger the better. I went from the blade MSR to this.
2 boom strikes .......and now I just ding stuff.
Really wish I could find some local help....but until then I`m learning to figure 8 on my own.
Have an escape plan in the words of Mack 66.