Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Next logical move

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Healthrisk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next logical move

I am sure this is covered but doing a few quick searches didnt find my exact question, though I prolly screwed it up somehow. Anyways my question is this. I have been tinkering and playing with Helis for about 2 years now. I have 2 that I use the most, I have a blade mcx and blade cx. I also have an older that I lost the almost 2 years ago in a move. All 3 have been twin blade trainer, I guess you would say, Heli's. I have got to the point of outgrowing my 2 lil chopers and I am looking for something a bit more challenging. What I mean is I can comfortably fly these guys facing any direction and without crashing unless out of my control, like gust of wind, or someone just smacking them with paper air planes (no comment)

Anyways to the point. I am looking for the next logical move here. I want something that is more of a challenge. I don't really know much about helis, I bought mine more as "toys" to tinker with and didnt really research just took what a guy at LHS suggested. I have been eyeballing things like the 120 SR, and the MSR (I like my indoor flights alot) I would like to go outside with a heli sometime but im not sure what my comfort level would be yet. Well so that I dont make this a wall of text what do you guys suggest as the next logical move (I looked at the ones I suggested because I own 2 elfight Heli's now) I was wanting maybe an mSR and a big one to practice outside with. I thought the 120 would do the trick but alot say its not as great as I hoped. It seems to be akward in size, lil to big for indoors but not big enough for outside. I guess also researching a bit it turns out that these 2 I suggested for my self are FP and not CP. Not sure if I should be looking more at FP or CP's. I assume CP is alot harder to fly correct? I was thinkning maybe the Mcp x. I know this will huge step and prob way advance for me. I find my self wondering if I got that and just learned on it rather then baby stepping from a FP to and advance would I be to frustrated out of it being way to hard or Is it still reasonable to fly. I guess I didnt want to get something like the mSR take a week or so to get the hang of it and wish I had something "more", ya know.
Anyways thanks for your time guys/gals
-B
Old 05-09-2011, 02:19 PM
drobin

Default RE: Next logical move

I know alot of people will disagree but I went to a clone trex450 with training wheels. I think I advanced quicker that way than going with a smaller helicopter. My 15 year old grand daughter is learning to fly planes but will be learning helicopters on these.I have 2 of them and enough spare parts to build a 3rd.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
LEOIII

I have both 120 SR and mSR. The 120 SR is definitly an out door heli. I like flying mine as fast as I can get it over a local football field. It does not like wind so flying time can be a challange some days. The mSR is OK indoors but like the 120 likes to move fast. Both hover hands off (at least mine do). Both are very duriable and survive crashes relitivly well. The mSR will fly well out doors (agin no wind).In my opinion as long as you can get parts fast and cheap thats the way to go. Although I haven't had to replace parts on eaither helis (and I've had some bretty bad crashes). Get somthing that your LHS has the parts for because the last thing you want is to wait 2 weeks for a $3.00 part to be delivered.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Healthrisk

Thanks for the replies. I live in orlando FL so we have a several hobby shops around and all seem to carry E-Flite products. I don't see parts being an issue. 

Any thoughts on the mCP x? I know its a big jump from my newbie choppers. I just wonder if it will work for my indoor fun times or just not worth the risk at this point.  I don't want to overwhelm myself but I also don't want something that will only be a challenge for a day or so then wanting more. 

I looked at the T-Rex Heli's and I just found my self confused at all the difference flavors and sizes. I liked the 250,  but in all honesty I really know very little about them all.  My heli's have just been  the ones I mentioned. 
Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM
LEOIII

I'm looking at the Blade mPC X also. I'v read its stable out doors in some wind but that you should cover your TV (in my case a big fish tank also) if you fly in side. I read that the blade grips will just fly off and there is a tail wag problem also. There are supposed "fixes" to these problems out there and in my case here in Sarasota a hobby shop nearby also.I think once you get the bugs worked out to the way you fly any heli is fun. My problem with the mCP X is its size . I think if had been made more like the size of the 120 SR it would be a no brainer. The SR would be more expensive in a crash but the size is more the way I'm looking to go.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

My first Heli was a Raptor .30 V2. After purchasing it I realized that I should probably start with something smaller and less expensive to break, so I got a fp 120 SR. I planned on selling it as soon as I was ready to fly the Raptor, but I I have had so much fun with it that I think that I will keep it. Since I skipped the coaxial step I crashed a little more than someone who first practiced with coaxials but out of all my crashes, all I broke was 1 landing skid and the flybar. I also broke the tail motor once but that was due to getting it stuck in a tree.

I probably run 4-5 batteries on it a day and still am not getting bored with it. And after 3 weeks of practicing on it, I am ready for the Raptor!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
mike79

CP is no different than FP....they both move the heli up and various directions. Only difference is CP can be setup like a FP heli and like a CP heli (inverted). .30 for the win. Small enough to be cheap, big enough to scare the crap out of you.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Healthrisk

Hey thanks for the replies.
I took a trip today to see one of, if not the, largest Flight Hobby shop in the Central FL location. Anyways after talking to rep I was advised that the mSR really is just to much fun to ignore and the fact that I have the mCX I can buy the BNF. When it came to getting more advanced he really seemed excited about the new 450 from Eflite. Should be sometime in the next month or so. When he explained why it is a much better buy from other options in its price range I was dumb founded and im not even going to try and pretend like I know how to re-explain it again. It had alot todo with the rear does not have a motor or something like that. He was really impressed with the build quality of the 450.
Really the only other Heli he could suggest to me over that one was an almost $600 trex (I wanna say 450 but could be wrong). It didnt come with transmitter and batteries etc. So I would be looking at more then double the cost of the 450.
All in all between here and the LHS I have made up my mind , I think, on mSR for indoor funtimes and the 450 when I become ready for a full 3d ready and larger Heli.
Im pretty excited and think I will be picking up an mSR next week.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
LEOIII

I've had the mSr for a while and fly it in my house quite a bit. I like it outside better and have just about drove into my lawn a few times trying to make it go all out and have not replaced a single part on it except blades that got a little chewed up after a while. I'll have to look into this 450 and see what it all about. I'm sure you will love the mSr. TV and should be safe just go slow inside. When you get it outside to me it likes to move fast(could be the pilot)Quite nimble for such a small thing(reminds me of a hummingbird). Happy Flying[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]