Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Which Collective Pitch Helicopter?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Which Collective Pitch Helicopter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 AM
MCSEVZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Collective Pitch Helicopter?

Alright, So I realize there are dozens of threads out there like this. I'm just not having any luck with finding something I like. Here's my deal.

I've been into electric airplanes for about 8 years now and I want to try my hand at a helicopter. I have previously owned a Walkera 5#10 (all metal micro co-axial) but Iwant to step up into a CP heli. I haven't set my mind on electric or nitro yet but my long term goal is to hopefully buy a large scale gasser for aerial photography.

SO any suggestions for a Elec/Nitro CP heli less than $500? I don't care if I have to build most of the heli either. Just want something stable that I can learn basic flight with. 3D is not a consideration, so if that's part of your argument for a certain heli, don't bother.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 AM
nick4622

Default RE: Which Collective Pitch Helicopter?

Ihave had great luck with my TREX450 pro it may be a little over your budget but it isa great heli to build, setup, and fly.

Next suggestion would be to get a sim to practice, just got the phoenix flight sim and it is a great learning tool.

So you will need a transmitter and recevier.

Heli Kit ( trex pro super combo cost me about 350) www.helidirect.com will price match check out www.helipross.com for the best prices Ihave seen.

Batteries at least two 3S 2200 mah with at least a 30-35 C rating

Battery charger Igot mine from www.xheli.com Thunder dual power can charge all types of batteries and I am happy with this.

Shop around and dont impulse buy

Good luck with the shopping

Nick
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
MCSEVZ

Ok. Good to hear. I was liking what I saw with Align. Is the 450 pro a fairly durable heli for a beginner?

I also have a Dx6i and a lipo charger and batteries of that size that I used with my planes so I'm set there.

Any suggestions on what (if anything) I should upgrade or buy spares of right away. I assume main and tail blades would be smart, anything else?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi there,

I would suggest the Trex 450 Sport over the Pro if your just beginning. Reason being the Pro has a Torque Tube and usually any kind of tail touch on landings can strip the TT gears...the Sport has a belt and its much more forgiving in less than great landings.

The DX6i will work just fine. Do you have a sim? You may also want to consider training gear for your heli until you get used to a CP heli.

Mark
Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
MCSEVZ

So lets say I have a few less than perfect landings (which I will)....how much would it cost to repair the TT gears? I like the cleaner look of torque tubes versus belt driven, but I may give up cosmetics in the advantage of money savings.

I don't have an RC sim, but I'm frequently on Microsoft FSX using a Saitek joystick. I realize it's completely different but I can't quite justify spending the money on another sim. I think I'd rather actually break something and learn that way! Call me crazy but that's what I did with airplanes too!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Aframomum

Unfortunately crashing heli's is costly...you'll soon come up on the price to just buy a sim. Phoenix and Great Planes are the two decent sims out there. I have Phoenix and it'll work with your DX6i so you will only need the version w/o the radio.

The 2 things I didn't like about my Pro was trying to get to my servo's to check for broken gears after a crash...they are all connected to the bearing block and it takes a while to get used to their removal. The second was how tight things were for wiring...you like the look of it but after several tear downs you will start to reroute wires to make repairs more speedy and easier...I did at least.

TT gear costs will add up and the tail case one's are harder to remove then the boom ones. But either way I don't like the idea of one bad landing means the end of my flying session...at least if I were just starting out. Give yourself a month on the Sport and see where your skills are at.

Seriously reconsider the sim...a good one is almost a necessity for heli's.

Mark
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM
BigFred

As a heli newbie, I've gone both routes. Nitro (Raptor 30) and electric (TREX 450 Pro...bought it from a clubmember with 5 batteries and receiver for around $350). You can probably find a good used Raptor for less than $500 as well. My Raptor has only had two crashes, and has survived both with little damage (new blades, new feathering shaft, new tail boom). My TREX has been punched into the ground in many different "events". and usually all I have to do is replace the mainshaft ($10 for 2) or a feathering shaft ($10 for 2). I've had to replace the tail rotor drive gears twice ($10/set, and you usually have some spare parts left). I have been amazed at how durable this thing is. I've come to prefer the Raptor now as it's more stable in hovering (I'm focusing on nose in hovering, and it's way less twitchy. My TREX was flown by a very skilled 3D pilot, and I haven''t adjusted the setup much). Once I get better, the TREX will see more flight time, but for now I"m stickig with the Raptor. Plus, it has the added benefit of smoke and noise, which is a huge plus in my book. I'd stay away from some of the cheaper ones, like the Helimax Axe CPv3 which was my first. Lots of mechanical issues with it, and a very squirrely flyer. It did get me to progress to hovering and forward flight though so it served it's purpose. Just spent a lot more on parts than I have on my TREX, which has seen far more abuse.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
MCSEVZ

Alright, so it sounds like with your experience the Trex is darn near indestructible...which is a plus for us new guys! Sounds like that just might be what I get! 

Anyone have experience with the Trex 450  AND  the Trex 550? Any comments to make between them???

Also Flybarless or not? Are the 3G kits worth the extra bucks?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Goran619
My Feedback: (2)

I have a 550E flybarless, I love it, its a great flying helicopter. It can be a little confusing setting up the 3G control unit and radio settings since not many people have them. Once you get it figured out they are great.
Jordan
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Aframomum

I had both the 450 and 550...my 550 is the flybar version.

One thing to consider is the costs of replacement parts for crashes between the 550 verses the 450...the 550 will be considerably more. But as Jordan put it, I also love my 550. Its just an amazing machine and looks awesome in the air. Handling is much nicer then the 450.

But don't count out the 450...esp if you do a flybarless system on it. Something else to consider.

Mark
Old 06-03-2011, 07:48 AM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Aframomum

I had both the 450 and 550...my 550 is the flybar version.

One thing to consider is the costs of replacement parts for crashes between the 550 verses the 450...the 550 will be considerably more. But as Jordan put it, I also love my 550. Its just an amazing machine and looks awesome in the air. Handling is much nicer then the 450.

But don't count out the 450...esp if you do a flybarless system on it. Something else to consider.

Mark
I have a number of 450 helis and agree that the parts for them are a bit more expensive then those for my Century Swift NX 550. But the 450's spend most of their time on the shelf since I got my first Swift in 2005.

When considering crash costs, one must consider the cost over time (e.g. 100 flights). Hre you will find that not only is the 550 easier to fly and easier to see, but because of that one crashes far less with it.

So over a 100 flight period. the total cost of operating my Swift was less then my 450 and I also had more time to fly because I was spending less time repairing.