Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginner choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:27 PM
astrowolf67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner choices

Hello all, I'm new to heli flying, and have been wanting to try for a while. Today, on an impulse buy, I picked one up at Wal Mart, the Bladerunner Interceptor, just to try. Within minutes of charging, I had it hovering, turning, and, flying backwards. A half day later, after packing some modeling clay in the nose a bit at a time, it will fly forward, although very slowly. I have read where coax is better for beginners, but, have become bored with this one very quickly, not to mention, it only gets about 6-8 minutes of run time, after 45 minutes of charging (non removeable lipo). I'm seriously considering returning it already, and, just spending a bit more for a Blade mCX RTF. Would this be a good move? Or, should I just go ahead and jump to the mSR, or SR120?

Thanks,
David
Old 09-03-2011, 03:46 PM
olefart

Default RE: Beginner choices

Try a Nine Eagles Solo Pro. It is a 4 ch. fixed pitch that is very easy to fly compared to most fp helis.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:35 PM
astrowolf67

Where would be a recommended vendor that sells the Solo Pro, and parts? I was looking at the Blades, because that's the only thing my LHS has.

David
Old 09-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi David,

Welcome to RCU and your heli addiction.

First off...most electric heli's will only get 4-6 minutes flight time and charging will take (depending on what charger is used) up to 40 minutes on these 1S batteries, with the norm being around 20 minutes. However on most heli's the battery can be removed and so you'll get more then 1 to fly with so fly while the others are being charged.

Blade heli's are distributed from Horizon Hobby so here's the link for all the heli's they offer: [link=http://search.horizonhobby.com/index.jsp?N=925&sid=13232F634EB3]Blades[/link] You can ask your LHS about any they may not have if you want to keep buying from them.

Don't know if you want to do a mcx as it still is a coaxial heli and you said your bored with the coaxial you have...the next step is to list some type of budget as your next purchase will depend on that. Also, do you have any kind of simulator? This will also help you in your progression, esp once you get a CP bird. Also, do you know of any flying clubs near you that fly heli's...you may want to ask your LHS if there are any...this will be the best place for you to meet other heli pilots and get first hand assistance.

Mark

Old 09-06-2011, 02:20 PM
astrowolf67

Okay, so I returned the cheapo back to Wal Mart, no issues there. Thinking of the future, I went ahead, and picked up the Blade mCX at my LHS (when I move up, it will go to my 11 yr old son.) At the moment, I could not be happier. The difference between the cheapo, and the mCX is amazing, considering the 30 dollar difference. I discovered I wasn't quite ready to move past the coaxial stage just yet, and, my wife discovered how much she'd like to have a large fly swatter, lol. I also picked up an extra battery. Charging, while flying, has also increased the fun factor. Unfortunately, our normally super calm winds, on the day of purchase, jumped to 20-30mph winds and 25 degrees cooler, so, hovering around the living room has been about it so far. I do already have some questions, but, will post them in the E Flite forums.

Thanks again, David

P.S. I did heavily consider the suggestion of the Nine Eagles heli, but, decided to support my LHS. Especially since they took the time to open the box, thouroughly explain all the contents, and, showed me the extensive stock of parts they keep on hand. Top notch service.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 PM
CedricD67
Banned

hello I'm Janet, in fact ,I work in an on line rc toy shop. and  we do have Nine Eagles Solo Pro.

here is the link: http://www.oomodel.com/nine-eagles-2...ro-p-2587.html

here is my email address:[email protected] ,so if anyone have interest in that, just contact me ,let 's have a deeper talk.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 PM
smooreace

First and most important.. I think we all know that advertising isnt allowed.

I skipped the Coaxial birds and picked up a 120SR as my second Heli. My first was a Blade 400... stupid move for a first Heli! The 120SR is just as easy to fly in my openion, but has the ability to be opened up a bit more to grow with me.