Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Loops!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 03:13 AM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loops!

Just getting ready to do my first loop. Any tips?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:58 AM
wouter

Default Loops!

If you are using heading hold: make sure
your tail follows the model. If it is a little
on the side, what can happen in FF with HH,
and you pull the loop you'll get a corkscrew sort of thing.

As for the rest: try it high enough at first and stay calm
Old 08-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Raydee

Default Loops!

Relax, go high up. Get some good foward speed then pull back, when you get to almost the top of the loop start bringing your collective stick to 0 degree's. When I first started doing loops I would push the collective stick down to far and end up just flipping it insead of looping.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Raptor^Norway

Default Loops!

Do you need much neg. pitch to carry out a loop/roll? I'm getting ready for some loops and rolls!
Old 08-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Raydee

Default Loops!

No actually right around zero pitch at the top of the loop should be perfect. If you give too much it will flip instead of loop.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Thief223

Default Loops!

Does that mean you can just use the in line throttle pitch curve???

Or will you loose too much head speed??
Old 08-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default Loops!

It is possible to loop in normal mode if you have enough altitude and speed, but you loose a lot of head speed and probably a lot of altitude too. (i did it by accident :stupid: ) much better to do it in stunt mode.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2003, 04:36 PM
mart o

Default Loops!

The most common mistake with a loop is too much back on the cyclic too soon, this slows down the forward speed as you go over the top thus not a round loop. Best to have lots of speed and height for the first attempt, pull back gently at first and then right back when the nose is straight up whilst back to zero pitch with just a little negative as you go over the top. If it goes wrong complete the manouver before you attempt to correct it, with plenty of height you can really get it wrong and still be OK. Good luck let us all hear how it goes.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Raptor^Norway

Default Loops!

Tried sone loops yesterday, but they were not round! Seemed like I lost all the speed at once. Maybe I'm to hard on the cyclic, as mart o says. I'll try again today or tomorrow )
Old 08-27-2003, 06:12 PM
mart o

Default Loops!

Well done, there will be no stopping you now. Just keep practicing experimenting with different inputs of cyclic & collective, the more you do the slower they seem & the easier it will be to see whats happening. Set up is much more important now it is best to fly with -9 to +9 trying to keep the curves linear with zero pitch at center stick when the mixing arms should be level with the V curve on the throttle, that way the pitch servo is always running at the same speed through its travel.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:13 AM
Raptor^Norway

Default Loops!

No, nothing is gonna stop me now -9 deg. seems like a little much for me right now. Currently I just got -2... I also seem to think my .32 OS is a little lazy. When I'm in a hover and give full collective/pitch (+9) not much is happening. It speeds upwards, but not very fast...Rather slowly Will it be cabable of handling +/- 9?? I do not run any governors, and my radio-setup may not be perfect either
Old 08-28-2003, 04:33 PM
mart o

Default Loops!

I have an OS32SXH with Zinerman muffler in my Raptor & it handles +9 nicely with SAB blades on. I really think you need more than -2, it is a matter of opinion but I believe that it is good to go with the full +9 to -9 at an early stage so center stick is zero and you know exactly where it is when you are flying. This will probably help you more when you start rolling. You can always set it up in your idle up 2 so you can flick it in at altitude to see what happens.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Thief223

Default Loops!

I agree seems like too much pitch at half stick, and the engine does not have a chance to spool up. Gets bogged down before it has a chance to build head speed.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:14 AM
Raptor^Norway

Default Loops!

Currently I'm running at 4 deg at center stick. I've set ut my Idle up 2 with -4.5 deg now. Just waiting for the weather to lighten up I'll try with -4.5 first, and then change my settings.

Will the 4 deg at center stick bogg down the engine when going from hover and full stick? Wouldn't the problem be the same if I hover at 3/4 stick and go to full pitch/climbout??

I'm also using Zimmerman muffler and 10% Byron heli fuel.
The glow plug is an OS A5.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Thief223

Default Loops!

I also was running some positive pitch at center, and was bogging down. Try reducing to about 1, or 2 degree at center.
Thats what I had to do yesterday. Zero pitch seemed to give me too mush head speed.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:40 PM
mart o

Default Loops!

A wise man told me this is the way to set up. Set the tranny to center stick then set the pitch servo arm up at exact right angles to the linkage, then set the linkage on the servo so that the swash is at the center of it's travel, then set the linkage to the mixing arms so that they are level, then set the long arms from the swash to the head so that the blades are at zero pitch. Making sure that the pitch curve in the tranny is 0 to 100% & linear move the ball on the servo arm to the which gives +9 at full stick, with this set up you will get exactly the same negative at low stick. you then make sure that at center stick the throttle servo arm is at right angles to the linkage and that the ball is set at the right position on the servo arm to give full throttle at full stick and vise versa at low stick without using any compression or extension on the ATV functions. Fly this now with normal mode & set the 3/4 point throttle to give a nice head speed in the hover. Land and set the idle up 1 throttle the same at the 3/4 point & the 1/4 point with 100% at low and high stick. This may seem a bit fussy but with the pitch curve linear & the linkage set this way you get a smooth constant pitch change as you move the stick up and down & hence use the engine power more efficiently.It works.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Raptor^Norway

Default RE: Loops!

Yeah! I've done several loops (not exactly round though) and rolls. The rolls are easier i think, beacuse I'm loosing so much speed in loops. I'm now running +9/-7 degrees, need to adjust the links in the heli to get more...But I will do it for tomorrow Still think the heli is lazy as hell...
Old 09-25-2003, 07:10 PM
nuvaring
My Feedback: (6)

My Raptor 30 V2 with the .39 also seems lazy. can't figure it out. Ticks like a clock, very reliable but has no umph! Kinda holds you back from trying too many things.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:18 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

If you run the head speed up a bit it will come to life. i was running about 1900 and id did pretty well, i have since upgraded to a 50, that is a pretty good cure for lazy heli syndrome too!
Old 09-27-2003, 02:54 PM
GoToGate

In your first loop, you can forget neg. pitch. The best is to have good speed
before you get to a loop. After that you will se - the loop is not any problem.
This is with Raptor 30/50.

Raptor
Old 10-07-2003, 02:56 AM
pistole

I agree with most of what was said above , you do really need your idle up to be set up so that your heli can hover inverted if need be.

I have mine set a +10 / -7 for Idle Up no. 1.

Thats fine enough for Loops and Rolls (they're fun aren't they?).

As for the heli being lazy , on my Rap30V2 (TTR 39 engine) , the answer to this is HEADSPEED ( I run her at about 2,000 rpm) and believe you me , she is fast cyclic wise.

The OS32 is famously easy to tune but low on the grunt. So be careful and do your 1st manouvers up HIGH !

Cheers.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Raptor^Norway

I'm now running +10,5/-9 and 30% aileron-to-throttle mix and 30% elevator-to-throttle mix. These two mixes did suprisingly much with the performance!!
The setup is getting sweeter and sweeter I'm now doing stationary flips (both elevator and aileron flips) 4-6 feet above the ground and not loosing altitude
Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 AM
pistole

Raptor Norway.

Glad to hear that you're making so much progress with your heli.

Just a small note here , you're right that Ail/Thr and Elev/Thr mixing makes flying much smoother since you cancel out the torque load on the rotors as cyclic is applied , BUT , remember to adjust your TX in order not to overdrive the throttle servo when you're at (or almost at) full throttle and cyclic is applied.

Please read this :-

http://www.raptortechnique.com/throttlemix.htm

and you'll understand.

Overdriving your thr servo may result in the link popping off ............ instant disaster.

Cheers.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:00 AM
Raptor^Norway

Thanks for the tip pistole! I've already read through most of the info on raptortechnique.com including throttle set-up and throttle-mix Great site!