Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Is the PHOENIX The best Sim?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Is the PHOENIX The best Sim?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the PHOENIX The best Sim?

eFlite makes a lot of helis...some better than others. My 2 faves are the mSR and now the mCPX. Actually those are the only 2 I have owned, but have read a lot about their other ventures...some good, some bad. I also may not know how good the mSR had the mCPX came out sooner. Because now after flying the mCPX, I'll probably either give the mSR to my son when hes ready, or sale it at a swap meet as I really dont see myself flying it anymore.

My main reason for suggesting the mCPX is that it is a CP heli, and even though its roughly a 100 size airframe...it handles much like the larger helis I own (450, 500 and 600(Raptor 50)).

If you train yourself with the SIMto be able to take off hover and land (while moving the heli around "tail in" and be in complete control) on the SIM, you will be ready to try real flying with the mCPX. The mCPX will give you the confidence in your skills of flying the larger helicopter. Trust me, 450 and up helis are very intimidating once you spool them up...the mCPX not so much.

Also, the mCPX is so durable that you can crash it a lot and not break it. The most I have done in my many crashes of the mCPX is break the tail boom. That part (with new motor and tail blade) is only about 12 dollars. I also had to replace my 3 in 1 board but that was because I plugged in a shorted out tailboom (trying to be cheap and fix the broken one rather than just replacing the 12 dollar part cost me 70 bucks! live and learn though). Anyway...Im getting off track here.

I cant see flying any of my larger helis in my backyard...but I can fly the mcpx there easily. So...when I cant make it out to the flying club field...I have a nice heli to fly a few batteries in at the back yard. I get to the field once a week when Im lucky and you cant progress learning to fly helis by just flying once a week. You also can totally learn to fly helis on the SIM either. The SIM can only take you so far before you have to put your practice into real flying of a real helicopter. I can fly the mCPX every day if I choose...which builds confidence and my skillset.

You should think of the mCPX as the SIM brought to life. Just like the SIM...you dont have to repair the heli after every crash...thus is the same with the mCPX.

Goodluck with it. Hope you enjoy the hobby once you decide what you will be buying. Just stick with it and practice, practice, PRACTICE!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: rcheli1

Just got the following from PHOENIX

Hi Steve if our demo runs satisfactorily on your machine then the full version should give you comparable performance without an upgrade – but of course, upgrading your graphics hardware will allow you to use the higher detail settings. Regarding a radio, you can enjoy the full benefit of Phoenix with only a 4-channel radio (using the keyboard for more advanced functions), but we recommend at least a 6-channel radio for ease-of-use.
So I could go for a 4 or 6 channet RX

To AVI Alliance:-
checked out the elite range all morning they certainly look good and great reviews

all the best Steve
Like I said previously...if you decide to buy the RTFmCPX bundle...it comes with a 4 channel TX (even though the mcpx is a CP heli...the way the mixing is done it can be flown with the DX4e).

All you would need to use the DX4e with your Phoenix is the GWS SIMcable for Spektrum transmitters. I think I paid around 20 bucks for mine...but I have seen it cheaper than that...maybe even as low as 10 dollars.

This is what I now use with my SIM. Before that I used a GWSSIMCable for Futaba and an old Futaba Conquest FP-T4NBF for my SIM usage. Its just I had one I bought when I originially tried this hobby about 15 years ago. I didnt have a use for it so I made it my dedicated SIM controller. Now that I have the 4e...I just replaced it because it feels more like my DX7 in my hands.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 AM
rctugman
My Feedback: (1)

Hello dear friend,
so good to hear from you, I do feel so guilty at all the time you have spent helping me..I can never thank you enough.
I have being in town all day at hospital..they pick me up in a taxi 45 min each way.so glad thats out of the way.

I have done nothing else but check out Elite range plus one or two other sites,well loads really!!!
I am more than tempted by the eflyte but must wait a bit anyhow..so still time.it`s so frustrating I am selling a few bits and pieces just to give me a bit of cash..because as you know i am a waiting payout which is taking a very long time.

My main reason for suggesting the mCPX is that it is a CP heli, and even though its roughly a 100 size airframe...it handles much like the larger helis I own (450, 500 and 600 (Raptor 50)). If you train yourself with the SIM to be able to take off hover and land (while moving the heli around "tail in" and be in complete control) on the SIM, you will be ready to try real flying with the mCPX. The mCPX will give you the confidence in your skills of flying the larger helicopter. Trust me, 450 and up helis are very intimidating once you spool them up...the mCPX not so much. Also, the mCPX is so durable that you can crash it a lot and not break it. The most I have done in my many crashes of the mCPX is break the tail boom. That part (with new motor and tail blade) is only about 12 dollars.
Everything you say makes total 100% sense I promise to give this my main priority

[quote]Also, the mCPX is so durable that you can crash it a lot and not break it. The most I have done in my many crashes of the mCPX is break the tail boom. That part (with new motor and tail blade) is only about 12 dollars. I also had to replace my 3 in 1 board but that was because I plugged in a shorted out tailboom (trying to be cheap and fix the broken one rather than just replacing the 12 dollar part cost me 70 bucks! live and learn though). Anyway...Im getting off track here. I cant see flying any of my larger helis in my backyard...but I can fly the mcpx there easily. So...when I cant make it out to the flying club field...I have a nice heli to fly a few batteries in at the back yard. I get to the field once a week when Im lucky and you cant progress learning to fly helis by just flying once a week. You also can totally learn to fly helis on the SIM either. The SIM can only take you so far before you have to put your practice into real flying of a real helicopter. I can fly the mCPX every day if I choose...which builds confidence and my skillset. You should think of the mCPX as the SIM brought to life. Just like the SIM...you dont have to repair the heli after every crash...thus is the same with the mCPX. Goodluck with it. Hope you enjoy the hobby once you decide what you will be buying. Just stick with it and practice, practice, PRACTICE!!! [/quote]

Once again everything you say is right! I have read the same in reviews and from other elite flyers..and generally the reviews overhaul are great.

if you decide to buy the RTF mCPX bundle...it comes with a 4 channel TX (even though the mcpx is a CP heli...the way the mixing is done it can be flown with the DX4e). All you would need to use the DX4e with your Phoenix is the GWS SIM cable for Spektrum transmitters. I think I paid around 20 bucks for mine...but I have seen it cheaper than that...maybe even as low as 10 dollars.
Can you just clarify one last thing for me I buy the RTFmCPX- Bundle with the 4 channel tx..do I just directly swap the 4 channel Tx from the bundle for the DX4e which I buy as well but use for both the SIM and with mCPX? got a bit confused,sorry

all the best for now cheers Steve

Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
ATVAlliance

The DX4e comes with the mCPX bundle.

Here is what you get...

* The mCPX heli itself
* 2 batteries
* battery charger
* DX4e Transmitter
* Spare parts "crash kit" which comes with a couple extra links that connect your bladegrips to the swash, a spare tail rotor blade, a couple extra rubber grommets for the canopy and a screwdriver.
* Extra set of main rotor blades (actually you get 2 different sets of main blades.  A set for 3D which comes installed on the heli and another set that is for fast forward flying.)

So like I said...you already bought the SIM.  Now all you need is the mCPX RTF bundle and you are all set.
Actually, I'll make it easier....here is what you should buy...

Phoenix SIM (no link as you already bought this)
Blade RTF mCPX http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...v2-rtf-BLH3600
GWS Spektrum SIM Cable (uhhhhhhhhh.  Nevermind the cable.  Your PHoenix comes with the cable!)

I dont know why I keep talking about the GWS SIM cable knowing your SIM is Phoenix.  Your Phoenix RC SIM has the cable included.  So....the only thing you need to buy would be the Blade mCPX RTF bundle.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
rctugman

I am first going to see if I can get hold of the mCPX bundle.closer to home as the shipping cost together with 35%import tax(including collection charges levied by Norway post) actually make this an expensive model

see if I can find one in Norway fingers crossed
cheers steve
Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM
ATVAlliance

Here is something that might help...

http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.p...n-oslo-norway/

goodluck!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 AM
ATVAlliance

Also, this site might prove useful to you...
http://rcheli.dk/tag/norway/
Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 AM
rctugman

Also, this site might prove useful to you... http://rcheli.dk/tag/norway/ Here is something that might help... http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.p...n-oslo-norway/
Many thanks for the above, the rcheli in denmark is probably the best link of the two...I have checked it out and it as got some good links and tips ..had not seen that one before I do have a coupple of shops here in Norway on my short list also

but that is great of you to do that

all the best Steve

Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 AM
bocabearingtom

I work for Boca Bearings and I need help!!Does anyone know the bearings that go inside the MCPX???? If anyone could help me with this i'd give you free bearings!