Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

copilot ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 06:33 PM
mikejkd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copilot ?

How small of an area will it work in? Can I set it up for inverted hover?

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Wright Flyer

Default RE: copilot ?

It needs to be able to see the horizon in all directions though it's fine in the middle of a tree lined field. Maybe a good 100-200ft of open space in each direction?

It uses IR sensors to detect the earth and the sky and then makes control inputs to make sure that the earth is directly beneath and the sky directly above. Therefore it will work against an inverted heli and do whatever it sees as necessary to turn itthe right way up.

If, however, you calibrated it inverted then it's tendency would be to try and bring the heli back to the inverted each time you try and fly it the right way up!

It's a really great device though!

Cliff
Old 09-30-2003, 12:55 AM
warlock1174
My Feedback: (23)

INCORRECT!

Please read my thread entitled "Co-Pilot. EVERYTHING you need to know."

The Co-Pilot works great at keeping you level, whether you are upside up, or inverted.

Old 09-30-2003, 06:47 AM
mikejkd

So copilot would not work in my side yard of about 100 by 50 feet? By reading the fma site it does not look at horizon but IR signiture above and below the aircraft. Is this not true?

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-30-2003, 10:46 AM
warlock1174
My Feedback: (23)

I wouldn't really recommend flying in an area that small. The surrounding buildings will be giving off varying degrees of IR, which will have an impact on the Co-Pilot. The more wide open the area is, the better your performance will be...

And your statement is sort of right. It doesn't necessarily monitor above and below. It knows, by calibration, what LEVEL is... This is in relation to the attitude of the aircraft, not the altitude.