Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about adjustments

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Question about adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 05:01 PM
hurgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about adjustments

Hi all.

well i took my chopper out and started it for the first time yesterday, and it all went great (after i got the mixture semi ok for idle).

I started it and opened the throttle a bit to get the rotors spinning so that i could check that they were both spinning at the same height, and they were, but there was a couple of things that i noticed that i need to adjust.

The first thing i noticed was that the rotors were on a bit of an angle (one side always lower than the other) but if i moved the stick on the remote the opisit way to the lean, they fixed them selves up, which seems to me that i need to adjust the settings on the swash to make this better. Is it better for me to adjust this by changing settings in the remote or would it be better to adjust it using the rods connected to the servo's instead.

The second thing that i noticed is that the tail always wanted to swing one way. Again, there needs to be some adjustment here obviously, and again is it better to adjust it in the remote or on the chopper.

The ammounts that i will need to adjust are very small, so I was thinking that adjusting using the remote programming is probably the way to go.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the lack of technical lingo (I will get there oneday ).

-Hurgh-
Old 01-13-2004, 05:13 PM
jag01

Default RE: Question about adjustments

hi Hurgh: I like to keep my trims in center. So that means making the ajustment to the control rods. When ajusting your tail rotor set gyro for normal mode then make the ajustment to your control rod so the tail rotor doesn't move when hovering. This way it gives the servo's their full range of movement.

Keep them blades a turning !
Old 01-13-2004, 10:27 PM
WoofDog

I agree with jag...You want to keep your servo arms at 90 degree angles to your controls so that you have the same amount of movement in both directions.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:02 AM
hurgh

Hi, Thanks for the replies so far.

Just to clear something up, when i asked if i should modify it on the helicopter, i was meaning extending the length of the push rod, rather than moving the position of the servo arm.

Eaither way, i think that i will probably go the modifing in the remote way.

Thanks for the replies.

-Hurgh-
Old 01-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Graeme
My Feedback: (5)

hurgh

They sorta go hand-in-hand. For your initial set-up, (generally speaking), you want the servo arms to be at ninety degrees when the control is at neutral. Then adjust your control rod lengths to get the control surface's recommended position.

After you've done that, what these folks are suggesting is that you adjust your control rod lengths for fine-tuning instead of using the trim adjustments on the transmitter.

While there's a real reason for their suggestion, (so that the servos will have their full range of motion), it's really a matter of preference - in your situation - since the adjustments you need are so small. You'll probably hear arguments for both sides of the discussion.

Keep in mind, though, that if the adjustments are more than minute, you'll want to adjust the servos/control rods instead of the transmitter trims.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:35 PM
elmote

Also keep in mind that the tail will ALWAYS swing CCW on startup unless you have antiskids on the gear. This is because the tail speed is not high enough to counter the torque of the engine yet, while the torque is at it's relative greatest as the engine is trying to accelerate the mass of the rotor. If you were on floats, you would do a few 360s before the tail would give you control. You need to be concerned with tail adjustment when hovering or VERY light on the skids to get it centered, not on startup.

Greg
(Elmo Te` Slim)