Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Raptor 30 or 50 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 10:12 AM
aurin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 or 50 ?

Hi
I've been flying fixed wing for about 2 year and have bee flying an old shuttle Z for about 4 months. Im looking a buying a new raptor 30 as everyone gives them a good review.

My question is should i buy a raptor 50.

It seems a 50 is required for 3D. I've only just started doing loops so i dont think a 30 will hold me back for a while but would a 50's extra power help for learning or get me in trouble.

I know i can upgrade from 30 to 50 for about £70 + engine.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Hotshot Charlie

Default RE: Raptor 30 or 50 ?

If you can afford the Rappy 50, buy it !
Old 01-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

I ended up with two of the rappys with OS50's. tons of power, they run nice and cool, just fuel and fly. Both have been completly trouble free.

The 30 is OK. It will do loops, rolls and most basic stunts but you have to be carefull not to bogg the head speed down, and the smaller engine has to work harder to lift the almost 7 pound bird, so tunning and overheating tends to be frequent a problem too.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:29 AM
grittykitty

I seem to be following you around, Spaceman.

I have a Raptor 50 v2, which is based on the 30 airframe, but with more power for about the same amount of weight. And since it is based on the 30, repair costs are very comparable. I have not flown the 30, but I can tell you I am VERY happy with my 50. Supposedly it is more stable, and can do more "out of the box" than the 30 can, with less tuning and overheating issues.
I got mine with the ThunderTiger 50, and have heard that the OS is better, but I haven't had a problem. Once the TT was broke in and adjusted, it fires right up, and hasn't need to be re-adjusted at all. Since I am still a heli beginner, the lower power engine is probably better for me anyway. My instructor was impressed enough with the heli that he ordered one for himself, but with the OS50, so I'll get to see the difference for myself here in a couple of months (we don't fly much here in the Ohio winters).
Old 01-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry about that Gritty, i'm here pretty frequently, maybe a little too frequenty.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:57 AM
grittykitty

I find myself here more and more, when I should probably be doing other things....like going to bed.[sm=tired.gif]
Old 01-16-2004, 06:03 AM
aurin

Default RE: <span class=

Thanks for the help 50 it is then

Thanks Aurin