Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Help ! My gyro's gone wild

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Help ! My gyro's gone wild

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 02:28 AM
enginebuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ! My gyro's gone wild

Greetings

I have been flying planes for a while but found a good deal with a heli. I recently got a Century Hawk Sport and a used JR g460t gyro. I have a JR XF622 (Im saving money to get a newer, better radio, by the way..what do you suggest?). The person who sold me the heli helped me set it up and I did a little hovering, at the begining, it was flying fine. The next week I set my radio back to Airplance mode and somehow when I switched back to heli mode, all my settings got erased. I tried to set it up as I had it before, trying to remember the settings.
I reprogrammed the radio but now, when I start it up and try to lift it up from the ground my tail shakes like crazy. An intermediate pilot at the field tried to help me out, adjusted the gain, but still, it was shaking, even when he did some foward flights. He told me that my gyro was broken and that I needed to get another one. My heli's grounded now, until I can fix the problem.

Does anyone have experience with this gyro, the JR g460t. I have read about it and they say that it is a decent gyro, that it will be great for learning to hover and basic flights (they say it get twitchy when doing more complex moves).

I really appreciate your help

Joe
"enginebuster - don't ask why"[8D]
Old 01-15-2004, 02:51 AM
enginebuster

Default RE: Help ! My gyro's gone wild

I forgot to mention...I have a HITEC super speed hs-925mg metal gear servo...I had this servo lying around when I put my heli together and thought it was the most appropiate.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:49 AM
wisdom-seeker

There's other things that can cause the tail wag problem. One is a bindup in the tail rotor pitch control linkage. Another is if one or both of the tail rotor blade thrust bearings are installed backwards. A third is if the gyro sensor is getting too much vibration. And lastly, you can have this problem if the head speed is low, which does not give the tail rotor enough authority.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

The 622 is a good enough radio, especially if you are using a tuned pipe (it acts a littel like a governor). Ive been using the 652 (older brother of the 622 for about a year. does everything the average pilot needs. Other popular models would be the 6102 8103 or futaba 9C
Old 01-15-2004, 01:56 PM
enginebuster

Thanx for your help.
Binding. There was a lot of binding, and I though that that might be the problem, so at the field I did my best to get rid of it. Now, the pushrod slides very smoothly. I have also noticed that if you go to one extreme of the tail rotor pitch, It will lock and will take a little more pressure to unlock. Is this normal ? should the pitch go all the way ? Anyways, Im going to disassemble and put back together the whole tail assembly. Maybe there is something in the manual I skipped or overlooked. The gyro may be getting too much vibation, so I'll try to move it. It is not placed where Century recommends, basically because I'm not using the gyro they recommend. The gyro is located around the center, just in front of the tank. There is some empty space there so I thought that might me a good place for it. I will move it where it is supposed to go, in the front

Thanx for all your help

I'll try all these things this weekend and see if it works

Joe
Enginebuster - don't ask why
Old 01-15-2004, 02:24 PM
wisdom-seeker

No, it's not normal for there to be any "sticking point" anywhere in the linkage throw. I found that one problem in my Raven (which should be just like your Hawk's tail) that the plastic slider that connects the tail rotor blades to the bell crank had tight hinges. This required me to drive out the hinge pins and file the hinge opening until I had no problem sliding the hinges on and off. I then re-inserted the hinge pins. This removed all of the binding in my tail rotor control. My last problem turned out to be a tail rotor thrust bearing that was installed backwards (my fault ).
Old 01-15-2004, 03:07 PM
enginebuster

Thanks for your help

in my exitement of getting the heli ready for the first weekend of flying I probably didn't pay as much attention to detail (Im getting it now....helicopters are like women...the both require a lot of atention and maintenance, but the results are wonderful) Ill dedicate some hours to my tail rotor and give it another shot, the problem your having seems awfully similar to mine, Wisdom seeker, so I'll do what you suggest.

I really don't want to spend $200 for a gyro right now, if I don't have to and if mine will work fine. I'd rather use those $200 towards a new complete radio system, and have my Hawk, with that radio and gyro as my trainer.

Thanx
I really appreciate it
Old 01-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Also make sure u greased the tail rotor gears with white lithium grease...I hope they arent disentigrated, and the 3 guides in the tailboom are known to slide in the boom causing a vibration.
Andrew