Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

First - Fly - Gyro Problem ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First - Fly - Gyro Problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 07:42 PM
elabruna2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First - Fly - Gyro Problem ?

Well, today finally I made my first attempt to fly, my first idea was only to break in the engine, but after the first tank I decide to test the heli in my backyard, I flew two more tanks in general the response of the heli was very good (similar like in the G2) exept for the response in the tail rotor axis, there the heli in general finished making turns, then I had to reduce collective to land.
I not sure if the gyro is making good or not because I've never fly before a heli, I think in the G2 the response was more stable, the gyro is making the right response when I test the movements by hand, I have the gyro in 75 %, the gyro is a Century one (2000 I think). has the gyro to lock the tail literally when is good adjusted ?

Thanks
Ed
Old 01-19-2004, 06:48 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First - Fly - Gyro Problem ?

Is the gyro heading hold? The 2000 may or may not be depending on which one you have. If it is heading hold the tail should be very steady (providing the gyro is in heading hold mode). If it is not heading hold then the tail is only being damped by the gyro and will wander. If the tail rotates one way when you increase collective, and the other way when you reduce collective you can add a bit of revo mixing to counteract. Do NOT do this in heading hold mode or it will make things worse.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:05 PM
elabruna2

Thanks for the answer, I think I found the problem, it seems that I had the gyro in reverse that means that it tried to compensate in the oposite direction. This is my first heli ..... at least now I know, I just reverse the gyro, I'll try tomorrow if the weather allows me.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:11 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would double check this before you fly again (especially in your back yard unless it is huge). If you have hovered two tanks of fuel I would be suprised if it was the gyro direction (although it is possible).

As a hint to check, look at the servo arm and not the tail. Here is the procedure I use.

Ensure that when making a 'rudder' input the correct response occurs on the tail. Put a right rudder input in on the transmitter and note which way the servo arm moves. Rotate the heli counterclockwise when viewed from above (i.e. to the left) and check that the servo arm moves in the same direction as before.

As you say, if the gyro is reversed it will cause the heli to rotate. the result of which can sometimes be spectacular.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:38 PM
elabruna2

This was exactly the method that I used, this method was the one recommended by the manufacturer, and the result was that the gyro responds to the oposit direction, this was for sure wrong, I'll make a new test tomorrow, it's supose a better day. I was practicing with the G2 for several weeks and the response was very similar (easier sometimes) with the execption of the rudder axis, but it has sense with low rpms I made de compensation, and when I made corrections and more or less works, but at higher rpms the gyro takes more action and after the first complete 180 degree of a fast rotation is almost imposible to made corrections faster enough to compensate the gyro. I'll see tomorrow the new result.
Thanks for the advice.