Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Good Starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 03:19 AM
Chris_G_Reed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Starter

Well all u guys with the knowledge what would be a good heli to start with and learn on. I know they r heard to fly and will suck a wallet dry but lets give it a whirl <--lolol anyway. I am looking for 1 I will be able to learn on without going totally broke and will be able to get replacement part easily. If u have any opinions please express them. Thanks all
Old 01-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Hotshot Charlie

Default RE: Good Starter

Get a RealFlight G2 Simulator before you spend your first hard earned dollar. After a few months flying the heli's on the sim, get a Raptor 30 or 50. You can't go wrong with this formula. Have fun !
Old 01-21-2004, 06:19 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

I second the simulator. It isn't cheap (190), but even if it was 2000$, it is time and money well spent.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:13 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

A Sim is the way to start. Practice a few months. Then look into the Raptor or Hawk Sport. There's a lot of great information about both on RCU. So read up
Joe
Old 01-21-2004, 01:56 PM
polyhedron_12

Simulator for sure....

First time you fly on a sim, you'll know what me mean.

If it had been RL, I would have probably chopped my head off with the main rotors.

I've bought and sold and bought and sold helicopters, but haven't flown yet, can't decide exactly what I want, but judging by my experience of buying and selling, don't expect to be able to fly anything nitro without dropping 800-900 dollars. That will probably get you the full setup with a mediocre or less radio, and the goods that you need for maintenance, starting, fuel, etc.

Good Luck
Old 01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

It is a littel tricky and pretty scarey the first few times, but after a bit it gets a lot easier, sure is a blast once you get going.

Be sure to get an experienced Heli pilot to make sure everything is set up corectly and help you get started. Most heli guys remember what it was like to be a beginner, and are glad to help.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:22 PM
pblgml
My Feedback: (29)

I agree a sim is the best way to go, also try a small electric Helli I just received one that I am trying out. Check out the posts at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Heli...mid_165/tt.htm, !QUOT!Who Wants a free Areo Hawk Helli!QUOT! This Areo-Hawk has been probably the best thing to try out before spending too much on a big one. They are a lot harder to fly than a plane if you ask me. When and if you get one practice trying to hover it before you try anything else. I will be updating that forum with my experences with the Areo-Hawk.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:01 PM
ChopperMike

I started flying heli's about 15 years ago without a simulator and believe me, my learning curve would have been a LOT shorter and smoother with one! I recommend the Century Hawk Sport, great flyer and inexpensive. If you have a well stocked local hobby shop, see what they have to offer. Locally available parts is a plus. My LHS doesn't have hardly anything in the way of helicopters or parts so it doesn't make any difference what brand I fly, they wouldn't have the parts I need!

The other thing that is very important is help. Even if you have to drive some distance to find some help, it's well worth it.

Regards and good luck,

Mike
Old 01-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Hotshot Charlie

ChopperMike has the right idea, buy what everyone you will be flying with flies or has experience with or what your local hobby shop stocks. It will make it much easier on you through your learning stage to have folks that have experience with your particular model.

I am basically a newbie also, but I was led in the Raptor 30 direction by several experienced pilots and a really good deal on the Rappy 30.

Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:10 AM
FHHuber
Banned

OK.. we all agree that a Simulator is helpful...

I will recommend the Century Hawk. Its a well built heli at a reasonable price. The semi-kit version has sub-assemblies done for you, so it isn't a nightmare to put together. (get the crash kit at the same time... saves shipping charges later.)

You need a 6 channel (or more) computer radio with Heli mixes. (well you can get by on a 5 channel with no computer... but it sure isn't going to be fun.)

You need a Gyro. Any gyro is better than no gyro and the Hobbico (appx $50) Peizo Gyro is passable. (barely)

You need an engine. O.S. .32 HX is the CHEAPEST I would try. (now... I tried cheaper.. and it was a mistake. )

Buy the starter adapter shaft when you buy the heli. Century has the lowest price starter adapter shaft I have found and it works. (and trying to make yor own to save the $20 is a mistake too.)

Get a decent training gear set. Its going to save you at least $300 in repair parts.

Glow plug and a can of fuel and fuel pump...

By this time, you have appx $600 to $700 in the thing.

Now you've become master of the heli on the simulator and THINK you are ready to fly... Get an instructor. The simulator HELPS but it can't replace in-person at the field assistance from an experienced heli pilot. That heli on the sim... is automaticly perfectly straight and the controls are linked correctly... you are not 100% sure about your model till it has been test flown. (and then you bump the trim levers on the radio and you have to start over trimming the thing...)