Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Close call today!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 03:21 AM
ChiefG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close call today!!!!!

I've been flying my Raptor 50 V2 for almost 3 weeks now, and just started on my second gallon of fuel. I always try new maneuvers after I get comfortable with one. Today, since I feel comfortable with hovering tail-in decided to try nose-in. Had the heli hovering tail-in in front of me about 15 yards, about 4 ft off the ground and turned her around to try a nose-in hovering. Was doing alright for about 5 seconds then suddenly the heli started heading towards me real fast! [X(] I tried to control her but realized all inputs in the TX is opposite I guessed panic came over me (I've been practicing nose-in hover in the sim and should know what to do). I didn't know whether to dive to ground or what! For a split second I manage to turn her around tail-in and was able to control her again away from me and landed her safely. Whew!!!! That was a close call!!! After a few minutes to relax my nerves I took her up again this time about 50 ft high , 25 yards away and start practicing my nose-in hover again high above the ground and away from me. Still need a lot of practice but at least if I get disoriented I know it's not going to hit me and all I have to do is turn her around tail-in to gain control. I just make sure that there's plenty of room between me , my heli and the ground....

I just had the urge to share this with you because I'm still worked up by this experience. Thank you for your time........
Old 02-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Mikey G

Default RE: Close call today!!!!!

Its very daunting when you have a near out of control heli coming towards you [X(] them blades can kill!

Maybe its best if you stand next to a large tree so if the worst happens you can dive behind it

I'm trying to figure out nose in hover as well, been on the sim and side to side i'm ok ( maybe to do with my car experiance) but for and aft is still a mystery [>:]
Old 02-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Super-Hornet

Phiew! That was close. Maybe next time u can hide behind tree like what Mikey G said or maybe stay inside a car or something.

Super-Hornet
Old 02-06-2004, 09:25 AM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitly did the right thing by moving the heli farther away to practice new stuff. It's no more difficult to fly a heli at 50ft. than at 15ft. I'm glad to hear that you just got scared rather than injured!

Years ago when I was learning to fly on my 'ol Concept 30 I got disoriented hovering and crashed about 5 ft. from myself. Since then I keep plenty of space between me and Mr. Bonestripper.

Ben
Old 02-06-2004, 11:38 AM
grittykitty

You have just given a very good testament for a sim. While you may have momentarily panicked, you were able to get it back in control, while both averting injury and destruction. If you were a new pilot, without sim experience, could you have done the same?

Congratulations!!!!

You will have more moments where you may feel like you almost jumped out of your skin, had a heart attack, knees are knocking, hands are sweaty and shaking, and you think you may have just peed your pants .....But that is the adrenaline rush of flying!!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 03:33 PM
siclick33

Everyone has their own method of learning. If your method works then stick with it.

For anyone else thinking of nose in for the first time, this was my method.

Put the training skids back on (if you have taken them off). With the model on the ground, pointing into wind, walk round the aircraft until it is pointing at you and you are a comfortable distance away. Lift the model a couple of inches (no more) into the air. When it starts to go wrong close the throttle. Keep doing this until you are comfortable then try to increase the height. If you don't let the model climb too high you will never damage it learning to hover! (note that this is not true after the training skids have been removed. A sideways movement with the normal skids only may cause the heli to tip over when the throttle is closed)

Save spot turns until later. These are more difficult than simply hovering nose in.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:09 AM
ChiefG

the sim already paid for itself in terms of what could have been crash repair cost and or possibly medical bills, not to mention truck repair ( it was parked behind me) definitely worth getting if you're a beginner.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Boomstriker

The key to learning helis without crashes and mishaps is to always have a bail-out plan.
When you're learning to hover, whether tail in or out, use the training gear and drop throttle when it gets away or you loose orientation.
When you get better and higher or without the training wheels, the bail-out may be to spin the heli quickly back to tail-in.
When you're getting into inverted, stay up high and have a plan to get back to up-right, tail-in. It may be rolling or flipping back over but always having a bail-out plan ready to go saves precious seconds.
The difference between a close call and a crash is having enough time to make a second correction if the first one wasn't the right one.
Kirk
Old 02-09-2004, 12:31 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

High is always better when learning new things. I learned nose in on the sim. Made it way easier. Inverted too. Way cheaper to crash a sim. It has paid for itself many many times over.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:00 PM
mikehannah

Hi
If you stay close to the ground all you have to do is shut the throttle.
The heli was settle back onto the ground and you can gather you wits and try again.
But what I would strongly recommend is that you DONT try circuits until you are comfortable with nose in.
I have seen many a novice panic when the heli makes the final turn towards them and ends up burying it big time.

Stick at it, it will come.

Mike
Old 02-09-2004, 10:23 PM
ChiefG

I was going to take my training gear off for I feel I can land it smoothly now and start doing circuits but decided to try nose-in hover first and left the TG on. I find it VERY challenging so I guess will have the TG on for a little more while now. I try to practice on one tank a day with what my busy schedule permits me,( work, kids and house). I practice nose-in both high and low even though I see little progress I'm just having fun with it and taking it slow[8D].

Mahalo
Old 02-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Model Mania

Mikehannah- I can do figure of eight circuits but i cant hover nose in. Im comfortable enough with the heli comin towards me at nearly 45 degrees i suppose all i have to do now is slow down the circuits and hover the heli angled towards me and then start bringin round. But its easier said than done, and since the weather is so crap here ill pobably have to wait until summer[:@]. The close to the ground idea is a good simple idea to