Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 11:27 PM
dlaque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First startup

Well after finally getting everything built and setup i am going to attempt my first startup tommorow !!! I have flown Electric Eco 8's in the past and im sure my heli and radio are setup perfect, the only thing im not sure of is starting the motor.

Do i just fuel her up ,attatch the glow plug and spin the starter ??? I know that sounds stupid but im just making sure im not missing anything (i.e. choke, air in lines).

Thanks in advance and wish me luck

Oh and one more question, i bought the gy401 gyro and an s9253 digital servo for the tail, should i try standard or heading hold first ???

David
Old 02-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: First startup

There are several things to watch out for. It reallly sucks to start a heli and find out it is set for full throttle! so #1 be sure to have a good grip on the head whenever you start it, and double check your throtle direction. Someday it will happen to you. it isn't a big problem so long as you don't let go and you do pull the fuel line right away .

Heading hold is great. It will take good care of you so long as it is set up corectly. if the servo direction is wrong the heli will spin. to check the direction setting simply grab the tail and move it to the right. (a left turn) if the pusrod moves forward you have it set right

Just keep it low and use the training gear.

It helps a lot to have someone experienced to help you out, and to have practiced on a sim.

Take your time.

Best luck!
Old 02-07-2004, 08:44 AM
dlaque

Thanks spaceman!!!

Dave
Old 02-07-2004, 11:15 AM
HeliKing

One more thing,

Think Safety !!!

Do not fly where there are people around....Heli is real a big fying scissor, it is strong enough to kill people.
I read from the runryder that an experience r/c instructure was killed by his own heli.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:08 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bother with choking. You probably won't be able to get to the carb anyway.

Just make sure it is at idle, clip on the glow clip and apply the starter.

You will find the trick is setting the needle. It helps if you can fly the model. If you can fly ECO 8s you should have no problem. Make sure that there is smoke coming out of the exhaust when running. This shows that the engine is slightly rich and means that your engine is running cool. This is especially important if the engine is new.

I am not good at setting needles but there are loads of people on this forum who will be able to help if you have trouble!

Good luck